It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Order: Sort by Rating and a question about "Not Interested"
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:31 pm
Posts: 63
Any chance this could be implemented? Just a filter that sorts by your own ratings (from excellent+ to awful-)

EDIT: Seems it does this by default when looking at your own ratings. Hm. Could be useful to have as an option to organise for though.

QUESTION: When you tag something as "Not Interested" does it have any impact on your recommendations?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Order: Sort by Rating and a question about "Not Interest
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 7208
Skavau wrote:
Just a filter that sorts by your own ratings

Filtering and sorting are 2 different things. First we filter out the movies that don't match the filters, then we order the results.

In our interface, the filters are displayed above the results, while there's a control at the bottom to set the order.


Skavau wrote:
EDIT: Seems it does this by default when looking at your own ratings.

That's it. When listing rated movies, ordering by rating is possible.

There are a few other orders that are only available with some filters. For example if you use the filter "recently owned", results are ordered by own date.


Skavau wrote:
QUESTION: When you tag something as "Not Interested" does it have any impact on your recommendations?

Absolutely, the movies that you're not interested in will be hidden from the recommendations and from the streaming catalogs, that's all the interest of that feature. They'll still be visible from the title search and from the person's filmography.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Order: Sort by Rating and a question about "Not Interest
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:31 pm
Posts: 63
Sorry, yes I meant an order option to order by ratings. I understand that when you specifically stipulate to filter by "rated" it automatically filters by score - but what I mean is could an order option be implemented that allows you to rank by "rated" when not specifically looking at your own rated stuff.

Quote:
Absolutely, the movies that you're not interested in will be hidden from the recommendations and from the streaming catalogs, that's all the interest of that feature. They'll still be visible from the title search and from the person's filmography.


I meant in reference to their impact to other stuff. So if a user puts "not interested" on a specific title, would it have a knock-on effect to other titles?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Order: Sort by Rating and a question about "Not Interest
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 7208
Skavau wrote:
what I mean is could an order option be implemented that allows you to rank by "rated" when not specifically looking at your own rated stuff.

How would we order the not rated movies if the criteria is the rating?


Skavau wrote:
I meant in reference to their impact to other stuff. So if a user puts "not interested" on a specific title, would it have a knock-on effect to other titles?

Good question! The predicted ratings are based on your ratings and your ratings only.

When you only mark a movie as "watched" or "not interested", that's too vague, it can't be used to make an accurate prediction.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Order: Sort by Rating and a question about "Not Interest
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:31 pm
Posts: 63
(cool) Hector wrote:
How would we order the not rated movies if the criteria is the rating?


Hm. Secondary filter? But I guess it's probably not worth it.

Quote:
Good question! The predicted ratings are based on your ratings and your ratings only.

When you only mark a movie as "watched" or "not interested", that's too vague, it can't be used to make an accurate prediction.


I agree with "watched" but I guess I could see how "not interested" could be used to inform other potential predictions.

For instance, I kinda want Superhero-type movies/tv to disappear from my potential recommendations entirely, as I have no interest - but that might only happen if I negatively rate a Superhero TV show or two - but that would be disingenuous and not a fair use of the system by me (because I have not watched them).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Order: Sort by Rating and a question about "Not Interest
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 7208
Skavau wrote:
Hm. Secondary filter?

I'm afraid I don't understand. It seems there's still a confusion between filtering and ordering.


Skavau wrote:
I agree with "watched" but I guess I could see how "not interested" could be used to inform other potential predictions.

If you're not interested in a movie that you haven't seen, you may be completely wrong and it's a movie that you'd love if you watched it. As you can see, it's an unreliable information.

I could have used that information, that's true, but the end result would be an approximative recommendation system. On the contrary, I'm proud of the extreme accuracy of the predictions. If the recommendation system works fine, those movies you're not interested in should be at the bottom of the recommendations. But for that you have to give actual low ratings instead of a vague "not interested".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Order: Sort by Rating and a question about "Not Interest
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:31 pm
Posts: 63
Quote:
I'm afraid I don't understand. It seems there's still a confusion between filtering and ordering.


Damnit, I mean secondary **order** I don't know why I keep conflating them in my mind.

Quote:
I could have used that information, that's true, but the end result would be an approximative recommendation system. On the contrary, I'm proud of the extreme accuracy of the predictions. If the recommendation system works fine, those movies will get a low predicted rating. But you have give them an actual low rating instead of a vague "not interested".


Well, let me tell you about how I rate - I only rate things in varying degrees of "good". If I don't like something, I simply don't finish it. And if I don't finish it, I don't rate it. So the notion of negatively rating stuff is relatively alien to me.

And since Superhero (I isolate this specifically because its popular, and its stuff I don't like) is well-rated, and prominent, it still turns up as suggested for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Order: Sort by Rating and a question about "Not Interest
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 7208
Skavau wrote:
I mean secondary **order**

In my opinion, it's not worth adding this much complexity.


Skavau wrote:
If I don't like something, I simply don't finish it.

If you don't like something, then give it a bad rating. How can the recommendation system understand your tastes if you don't tell him which movies you dislike?


Skavau wrote:
And since Superhero (I isolate this specifically because its popular, and its stuff I don't like) is popular, and prominent, it still turns up as suggested for me.

Give bad ratings to superhero movies and the next superhero movies will certainly get bad predicted ratings. It's not rocket science.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Order: Sort by Rating and a question about "Not Interest
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 7208
The recommendation system doesn't know how to use the "not interested" data. It's my choice because I don't consider it a reliable information. I wouldn't know how to weight that information.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Order: Sort by Rating and a question about "Not Interest
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 am
Posts: 7208
Probably I wasn't clear, I'm not asking you to rate movies you haven't seen, but those superhero movies you've actually watched and didn't like, give them a bad rating. If you couldn't watch them till the end, it's an even stronger sign that you didn't like them.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2021 phpBB Group