It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost owned list
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:08 am 

After the last update, the list of my owned movies went back to zero. Any idea as to what happened? I hate the thought of typing them all over again. I have over 5000 movies.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Lost owned list
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:33 am 

Batt59 wrote:
After the last update, the list of my owned movies went back to zero. Any idea as to what happened?

I've seen this in the past, it's very rare but it can happen. My guess is that sometimes Windows or your antivirus can block file access at a critical moment.

Batt59 wrote:
I hate the thought of typing them all over again. I have over 5000 movies.

Do not worry, all your data is stored inside a file called the coollection file:

https://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

and the app makes automatic backups of your coollection file, you just have to restore your last backup.

https://www.coollector.com/help.html#backups

Tell me how it goes. If you have troubles doing it, tell me which part of the help page could be improved.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:50 am 

Thanks, I found it. I had to go back about a month, but it worked. Sure saved a lot of typing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:42 am 

Batt59 wrote:
I had to go back about a month, but it worked.

Do you mean you've lost weeks of data? Are you sure you've restored your most recent backup?

You should have many automatic backups, a new one is created each time you close the app after doing some changes.

You can order them by date to find the newest. The backup name also includes the date, for example:

MyCoollection.2022.09.14.112938.cool is from september the 14th at 11:29:38.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:49 am 

Yes, it wouldn't let me go to the latest back-up. It said antivirus was blocking it. No mater what I did, I couldn't get by it. The bad part is I had almost all of them typed back in, when it did it again a couple of days ago. Only lost about 2,000 titles this time. I'm adding them in again, but stopping occasionally to make more back up spots. Hope this works. I love the ease of this program, but as basically a one finger typer, what a pain it's been.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:29 am 

Which antivirus is it? It's a very weird behaviour to block a whole folder. Didn't you have the possibility to temporarily disable the antivirus to access your backups and make a copy of them, for example in a zip file? Maybe there's even an option to tell the antivirus that it was a false positive.

The automatic backups aren't the only backup system that we provide. You can also save a copy of your data on our servers with the menu "Tools->Online backup & publish". If you do that regularly, your data should be safe.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:12 am 

It was Windows Defender. I'm not sure what happens, but it blocked the last backup the last time it messed up. I'll have to give your other suggestion a try. Thanks for the help.