It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there a way to move the coollector database folder?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:08 pm 

My problem is that I use image software (Drive Image, Ghost etc.) on a weekly basis and that process overwrites the C-drive.

Therefore I would like to move the database-folder to ex.: E:/Movie/Coollector/database

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:56 pm 

You can install Coollector wherever you want, but it will always write files into the Windows folder "Documents and Settings".

I've heard that it's possible to have "Documents and Settings" on any drive you want (it's a Windows setting).

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:06 pm 

I don't want to complexify the program with such exotic features, but maybe I could create a hidden feature for advanced users: you'd create a file named "locations.txt", with your custom location in it, and the program would read this file and use those locations.

What do you think ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:12 pm 

P.S: how comes it erases your C drive ? I don't get it :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:20 pm 

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

When I use ex. Drive Image to restore my C-drive, the program starts by deleting the drive and then places a saved copy on C. It’s a fabulous way to avoid reinstallations, and has saved me a bundle of time.

The only “drawback” is that you have to place your variable data on a drive that isn’t being “ghosted” (Emails, Favourites, documents etc.)

I’ve checked out your suggestion about moving the Documents and Settings folder, but it involves some editing that I’m not that keen on doing :worried:

I think it would be a terrific idea to allow using / choosing the chosen installation-folder as head-folder for the database, settings etc. :)

BTW. If you’re interested in the imagining concept, I’ve made a small guide on the planning part here: http://perfect-pc.atheart.dk and if you have a Maxtor or Seagate drive you can pick up a free version of Acronis TrueImage included in the Seagate DiscWizard here: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/suppor ... discwizard

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:28 pm 

Alright, I've heard your demand... I don't know yet what I will do, nor when I'll do it :sorry:

Post subject: Location of Database
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:20 pm 

Hi,

Great app...

I would also like this feature. For the System database that is in All Users\My Documents\Coollector\...

Is it not just a matter of defaulting to [application path]\Database\...

OR

having a location box in the settings dialog and writing this to a settings file or the registry.
If you save it to the registry, then a save/restore settings option in the settings dialog would be helpful.

Regards
E

BTW
maybe this can be expanded to store the personal database information/tmp that is in My Documents\Coollector\...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:45 pm 

Here's how the files are currently organized:

1) Coollector.exe is stored where you chose to install it,
by default "Program Files\Coollector".

2) the pictures, the database of movies, and the database of prices are stored in
"Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\Coollector"
to be shared by all the users, even those without admin rights, and also to not be bothered by the Vista UAC every time a file is saved.

3) your personal collection, your backups, and the temporary files are stored in
"My Documents\Coollector"
to allow each user to have his own personal data, and to avoid conflicts.

As you can see, Windows has forced me to adopt a file structure that is already very complex. If your C drive is erased every week, the database location won't be the only problem.

I insist! I want to keep the options minimal to not scare the many non-computer-savvy users we have. Probably less than 0.1% of our users may use such a feature.

Honestly, your configuration is so complex, I don't fully understand it myself. Where's the personal data stored ? The shared data ? What are the access rights ? Why such an insanity ?