It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: looking for slightly different implementation of features
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:45 pm 

1st, I tink the work you have done is very nice. The database alone is impressive. I too am considering a project such as this although you already have one.

My wish list:
1. check boxes next to movies in the database for owned, watched, wishlist, ect.

2. An options menu that lets you choose the check box option as above.

3. Option menu item for opening the database in a seperate window with the initial screen already displaying all of the movies with check boxes for easy editing

4. option menu item to open a seperate window to display owned movies and or watched movies and or wishlist movies and or all movies with all the check boxes as in item#3. above.

5. An option for electronic versions of movies and there formats and locations, file size, ect. I tivo alot of stuff

6. In the star trek series, I would like to be able to check box each episode. I you need a listing, I can provide them. I have compiled several. I have them in excel.

Very nice work, I can see that you have been busy. Very nice features.

Post subject: Re: looking for slightly different implementation of feature
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm 

dmbinbc wrote:
1. check boxes next to movies in the database for owned, watched, wishlist, etc.

owned => when you own a movie, it's title is underlined. But since Coollector manages all the video technical details, "owned" can't be just a checkbox.

wishlist => you just click the wished icon to add to your wishlist (click again to remove).

watched => you can't rate a movie if you haven't seen it. Reciprocally, if you want to signal you've watched a movie, you just have to rate it ;)
I plan to extend this a little bit, with how many times you've seen a movie, when and where (theater, etc...)

dmbinbc wrote:
3. Option menu item for opening the database in a seperate window with the initial screen already displaying all of the movies with check boxes for easy editing

4. option menu item to open a seperate window to display owned movies and or watched movies and or wishlist movies and or all movies with all the check boxes as in item#3. above.

You don't think the movie criterion search is good enough ? Why ?
Once you have understood that the red borders indicate which panel has the keyboard focus, with one key stroke you can make the search panel appear (spacebar) and disappear (arrows). In my opinion, it's more convenient than handling separate windows.

dmbinbc wrote:
5. An option for electronic versions of movies and there formats and locations, file size, etc.

It's a feature which hopefully will be added very soon.

dmbinbc wrote:
6. In the star trek series, I would like to be able to check box each episode.

For the moment, we don't really handle series episodes. The only thing we have is about videos of series, where you can tell which seasons or episodes are included. For the rest, we provide a link to TV.com.

dmbinbc wrote:
Very nice work, I can see that you have been busy. Very nice features.

Thank you very much ! We work very hard, and we're preparing lots of improvements for the upcoming months !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:36 pm 

Hey, I've just discovered your review on download.com

You say you won't input your 2,000 movies because it takes 4 steps to add a movie.

Here is a tip: click on "owned videos", then press the "enter" key, then press the "enter" key again. That's it ! Took you 1 second to add a video !

Post subject: Yes and no to easy entry
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:28 pm 

First, just found this great tool last night and have been working on my collection this morning. My major gripe (there is always one, right :roll: ) is the lack of keyboard only controls for entry. I type to find my movie by title. I can "arrow-down" to the right movie. I can press "enter" to select the movie. I can "left-arrow" to put focus on the movie information. No I have to move the mouse (or stinking trackpad) to the bottom to click Owned. I would prefer the ability to "Control-Enter" or some other mechanism to do it by keyboard.

The other part of too many steps is adding the correct version. I think this is where the multiple clicks comes from. If I want to enter the correct version that I own, I have to "click" the Existing videos, hopefully choose the correct video option, view the details, then "enter", "enter". It is not too painful. I just have to go back through all my early entries to put in the more correct information.

You should know that my making suggestions and comments is a testament to your software. I've tried a lot of software were I wouldn't even bother. There was just too much wrong.

Keep up the good work.

Post subject: Re: Yes and no to easy entry
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:38 pm 

Hey FatherAntox ! Welcome on the forum !

FatherAntox wrote:
First, just found this great tool last night and have been working on my collection this morning. My major gripe (there is always one, right :roll: ) is the lack of keyboard only controls for entry. I type to find my movie by title. I can "arrow-down" to the right movie. I can press "enter" to select the movie. I can "left-arrow" to put focus on the movie information. No I have to move the mouse (or stinking trackpad) to the bottom to click Owned. I would prefer the ability to "Control-Enter" or some other mechanism to do it by keyboard.

I'm like you, I LOVE keyboard shortcuts. If you're interested, I could add a shortcut to add a video from scratch.
What do you think about the "+" key ?

FatherAntox wrote:
The other part of too many steps is adding the correct version. I think this is where the multiple clicks comes from. If I want to enter the correct version that I own, I have to "click" the Existing videos, hopefully choose the correct video option, view the details, then "enter", "enter". It is not too painful. I just have to go back through all my early entries to put in the more correct information.

Unfortunately, the whole concept of Coollector is not yet completely in place. Our goal is to reference all the existing videos that have a barcode, and to input them with a barcode scanner or a webcam. Even if it's not visible yet, we have the UPC or the EAN of all the videos in our database. We just wait a few months, until we have most videos in our database, before we open the can of worms.

If I were you, I wouldn't wait to input my video collection, but I wouldn't care too much about the technical details. When the barcode feature will be available, if you add a video this way, and if you already own a video of the movie, the program will propose you to replace the previous (barcode-less) video.

FatherAntox wrote:
You should know that my making suggestions and comments is a testament to your software. I've tried a lot of software were I wouldn't even bother. There was just too much wrong.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you very much ! I'm very open to critics. I learn a lot from my users :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:42 am 

New version 2.13 now has those keyboard shortcuts:

'+' key => add an owned video from scratch

Control with '+' key => add an owned video from an existing video

8)