It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: updates
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:08 am 

I took the painfull way to fill my database with movie images by scrolling throug the list one page at a time. There were a fair number of images with just a picture of a reel of film which I suspect have not yet been added. I should hate to have to scroll through that list again just to add a few new images. My question is if your updates include new images or if not how do I get these new images whithout downloading images I already have?

Thanks Ron

Post subject: Re: updates
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:41 am 

freewave wrote:
There were a fair number of images with just a picture of a reel of film

That picture of a reel isn't a downloaded picture, it's just what the program displays when there's no image on the image server.

freewave wrote:
My question is if your updates include new images

The program updates doesn't include any image. The images are downloaded as needed when you use the program.

We add new pictures every day. They are mostly user contributions.

freewave wrote:
or if not how do I get these new images whithout downloading images I already have?

Once a picture is on your hard disk, the program doesn't download it again unless a user has contributed a better picture. And if there's no picture on your hard disk, the program checks if a picture is now available.

As you may know, it's possible to download all the movie posters in one shot:

http://www.coollector.com/images.html#top

Unfortunately, those zip files were created some time ago, and they are not up to date. They are a good start, though.

I don't have the time to do it right now, but I plan to make those zip files again, and after that, each month, I would release a new zip file with the new and changed images.

Let's say that all the images are contained inside 10 zip files. Then the next month I'll released an eleventh zip file. Etc... Etc...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:40 pm 

Cant the program just scan through the imdb database and pick up the missing images?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 pm 

freewave wrote:
Cant the program just scan through the imdb database and pick up the missing images?

Please don't confuse our program and our database with the IMDb database. We are not the IMDb.

The zip files are a convenience for many users who have a limited internet connection. For instance, I know a cuban user who got the zipped images from a canadian friend. There's also a US soldier working on a war ship. Etc...

When the zip files that I described before will be available, it's true that Coollector could download and install them automatically, thank you for the suggestion !

Downloading the zip files will be much more efficient that trying to download each and every picture.