It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: I've Lost My Database Files
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:13 am 

Hi all,

Out of the blue today I found that Coolector believes I have only 32 movies in my database, rather than the thousands I have. I can't understand how this could have happened, because I follow the procedures for opening, entering and saving database entries the same each time I access Coolector.

I read and followed the suggestion in the Help section, whereby I substituted a backup file for the active Coolector File, renaming and deleting etc. When I rebooted the program then told me I had NO movies in my database!

From what I've written in my instruction book, I understand that all new inclusions are "automatically" included in a back up file - which I assumed happened with no input from me. After entering a new movie I clicked on the Red RH cross and exited the program.

You can appreciate that me entering accurately some 3000 movies into a new database just isn't possible. From what I've described, can anyone suggest a course of action I could take?

As a guide, the Backup files in the folder "Backups" have a file size of 4-6Kb total each, except for one file that shows 1.6Mb. Can someone tell me what this might signify?

I'm a happy, long time user of Coolector, and I fancy this problem might have happened to me some time ago. If so, unfortunatley I can't locate reference to a solution, either in my handwritten notes, or from the Coolector Help section.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to lose my records of movies. TIA for your co-operation.

Post subject: Re: I've Lost My Database Files
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:02 am 

fannyonelung wrote:
the Backup files in the folder "Backups" have a file size of 4-6Kb total each, except for one file that shows 1.6Mb.

4-6Kb is not good. It's an empty or nearly empty database.

1.6Mb has to be the right backup. Keep it preciously, make a copy of it.

I don't understand why you have only one good backup, and several bad backups. What's the name and date of those backups?

Could you make a search on your disk to locate all the .cool files you can find. Maybe there's some backups elsewhere.

Do you have a Mac or a PC?

What happens when you have Coollector closed, then double-click the 1.6Mb backup?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:44 pm 

everytime i use coollector; when i close it; will make me a backup? even if i didn't modified anything on my collection?
in case of yes, this not working.
i deleted the backup folder (testing purpose) content and opened collector then closed it; several times; but no back up are made.

i using the portable version on a PC (win7)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:50 pm 

Nevergreen wrote:
everytime i use coollector; when i close it; will make me a backup? even if i didn't modified anything on my collection?

Only if you modified something during the session, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:42 am 

Thanks for the prompt replies; much appreciated.

From the posts, I glean that backups are automatically made, provided additions have been made (?). If that's so, how come I've got heaps of 5Kb files, and a solitary 1,6Mb file? Could I assume there was no additions in the instance of each small backup file, and one instance where numbers of entries were done instance, resulting in the single large file?

I'm going to try the double clicking of the larger file to see if it boots Coollector, with the added material.

As can be seen, despite using the program for some time, I've neglected to absorb the procedures for using it, and that has come at a cost probably. I'll get back to the forum when I do my homework. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:04 am 

fannyonelung wrote:
how come I've got heaps of 5Kb files, and a solitary 1,6Mb file?

There's clearly something wrong that I don't understand yet. That's why I asked about the file names and dates, to know when the files were created. Also, don't forget to look for other .cool files elsewhere on your disk, and tell me if you have a Mac or a PC.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:14 am 

Hello all, sorry for the delay in coming back to the group, but have had visitors for a few days.

I've managed to get back to where I wanted to be - my database is still available! I followed the instructionms to double-click on a backup file name, and Coollector came up with a bundle of my movies. Of the total I expected to see, I got all but the last 50 movies I entered, and it was a minor task to enter these again.

Now I'm back where I need be - many thanks for the help and support. I much appreciate the help from the forum - living remotely in country Australia, the availability of a web forum makes it so easy to get going.

Again - thanks to all!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:50 am 

fannyonelung wrote:
I've managed to get back to where I wanted to be - my database is still available!

That's very good news!

fannyonelung wrote:
many thanks for the help and support.

My pleasure :D