It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Feature request: better movie file vision/launch
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:20 am 

Hi everyone,

I bought your software from apple store, i use under OSX 10.8.5, and I feel too much of importance is given to the actors, directors view of a movie or series, compared to the vision of files/dvd owned.

I explain myself. I have a lot of series, and movies on a hard drive, while being able to see all the actors/directors of a movie or series is great, it would be even better if we could reduce the size of the panel for actors/directors, and give that space to files/video owned.
And even greater if we could launch the movies from the episode list of the series…
Best would be to be able to drag windows size to fit use taste...

As it is easy to launch a movie from the interface, but for the series, it is quite a mess.
The interface space is way too small.

Could you bring some more flexibility/ergonomics here, that would be really great.

Another great and important feature (which I may have not located) is the ability to search only in our owned movies, like a spotlight search. Because sometime finding movies are not that easy (even sorting alphabetically, as some are under The something, some are at Something the…).

Thank you to let me know of solutions, or wishes on your side to know more of my request, or wishes on your side to proceed to improvements of your software that way, so I can recommend it to my family.

One last thing is regarding backup, as for the country I live in for now (China), I cannot backup with your system. Is there a way to do a manual backup of my database? If yes, thank you to explain me how.

Very best,
Nico

Post subject: Re: Feature request: better movie file vision/launch
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:59 am 

syldar wrote:
I bought your software from apple store

Thank you very much for your purchase!

syldar wrote:
I have a lot of series, and movies on a hard drive, while being able to see all the actors/directors of a movie or series is great, it would be even better if we could reduce the size of the panel for actors/directors, and give that space to files/video owned.

Sorry, I don't understand what you would gain with a bigger "owned videos" box. That's why you can only collapse the video boxes, but can't make them bigger.

syldar wrote:
As it is easy to launch a movie from the interface, but for the series, it is quite a mess. The interface space is way too small.

The way to launch a video file is to click the "play" icon. Since the list of your owned video files is displayed above the interface, the interface layout can't be an issue...

syldar wrote:
And even greater if we could launch the movies from the episode list of the series…

Yes, it's a nice feature that I'll add in a few months (it's on my todo list, but it's less prioritary than some other improvements).

syldar wrote:
Another great and important feature (which I may have not located) is the ability to search only in our owned movies, like a spotlight search.

I think that you haven't noticed the 2 checkboxes, "owned" and "rated", that appear when you make a string search ;)

For your information, the new version 4.1.5 has just been released on the Mac App Store, and it adds similar checkbox filters to the filmography of the persons, to list only what you own, or what you've rated, or what you wish!

syldar wrote:
One last thing is regarding backup, as for the country I live in for now (China), I cannot backup with your system.

Please explain why it doesn't work. What's happening?

syldar wrote:
Is there a way to do a manual backup of my database? If yes, thank you to explain me how.

All your personal data is stored inside what we call the coollection file:

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

To locate your coollection file, you just have to click the menu "Help->Locate my coollection file".

Also, please note that the program automatically create backups for you:

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#backups

But indeed it'll be safer if you have a backup on a different disk.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:46 am 

Thank you for your prompt answer.

I updated to version 4.1.5.

For the bigger owned video box, i mean this space highlighted in red. It would have to be bigger, so we can more easily browse inside it.
The space in green is very big, and can't be resized, which is boring. We can just change the amount of columns and vertical size of the elements, but not the window itself.

Would not it be easier to have some tabs, one for the general information of the movie/series and all the links to the video files we own, and the dvd we own. And in another tab, the people from that movie/series? That way, we can directly access to the information we want.

I am glad to know that you plan to be able to launch the video files from the list of episodes for the series.

It would be great if we could do roughly the same with the other video files for movies (just the small play button is not so practical, especially if there is many links).

Regarding the research in the owned videos, it does not work.
I would like to just display the video I own, that work. But inside those videos I own, I would like to type few letters in a field, and the software would just display the video that I own with those letters.
Example, If i type james bond, in my owned videos, and I just owned 2 james bond movies, the software would just display those 2, not all the james bond movies that exists in the world…
You could add the field in the orange space I put on the screenshot.

I understand for the backup, that is great, I'll check that.
Regarding the problem, well it's China who blocks a lot of traffic to go in, or out, and even with my VPN, it does not help.
But no problem, I'll do some backup by myself.

Another thing is when I use the feature to scan for videos on my hard drive. It is quite boring when it find a match, which is wrong, and we can just rename the files. One great thing could be to make 2 piles, the first is the one we select as a match, and the one that are not, and before accepting, in the pile of what we refuse, to be able to do a research by title to associate it manually, directly from there. As for now, I need to do it away from the "scan your video files dialog box", which is quite boring. I need to look for the video, say I owned it, then add a link to the video file manually, then suppress the "I own this movie" for the movie I do not have the file.

Another comment is when researching for a movie in the database, could you make the text we can type selectable, so we could for example type The Mummy, and then, select ummy, and replace it, typing by ommy. It would help the user experience I think.

Very best

Attachments:
File comment: For the display of the infos on a movie/series.
Owned Video Boxes 02.jpg
Owned Video Boxes 02.jpg [ 396.74 KiB | Viewed 5322 times ]
File comment: For the search box in my owned videos.
Owned Video Boxes 01.jpg
Owned Video Boxes 01.jpg [ 306.62 KiB | Viewed 5322 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:32 pm 

syldar wrote:
For the bigger owned video box, i mean this space highlighted in red. It would have to be bigger, so we can more easily browse inside it.

The video box is useful for the DVDs you own, but when you own video files, it's the "play" icon that you use instead. You can't launch a video file from the "owned videos" box, so why do you bother with the "owned videos" box? I'm sorry, I don't understand.

syldar wrote:
The space in green is very big, and can't be resized, which is boring.

I'm sorry that you consider the cast of the movie as boring, but in my opinion a bigger video box would be even more boring, for the reason that I gave above.

syldar wrote:
Would not it be easier to have some tabs

I don't think it'd be a good idea, first because I can't understand the need, second because it'd be a clutter of tabs inside tabs, and third because it'd require an extra click.

syldar wrote:
I am glad to know that you plan to be able to launch the video files from the list of episodes for the series.

In my opinion, it's the best and only solution to your interface problem.

syldar wrote:
just the small play button is not so practical, especially if there is many links.

Hence the solution with the episodes list.

syldar wrote:
Regarding the research in the owned videos, it does not work.
You could add the field in the orange space I put on the screenshot.

It works, but with the title search (you've taken a screenshot with the filtered search instead of the title search). Please have another look.

syldar wrote:
Another thing is when I use the feature to scan for videos on my hard drive. It is quite boring when it find a match, which is wrong, and we can just rename the files.

I suppose if you don't want to rename the file, it's because you want to keep the chinese title, isn't it?

syldar wrote:
One great thing could be to make 2 piles, the first is the one we select as a match, and the one that are not, and before accepting, in the pile of what we refuse, to be able to do a research by title to associate it manually, directly from there.

I think that your solution is too complex and confusing. My plan to fix the problem is to add a database of the non-english titles (chinese titles, french titles, etc...). This way, the file association will work well even for the non-english users. In fact, it's part of a bigger plan of making the database availalble in more languages than English ;)

syldar wrote:
Another comment is when researching for a movie in the database, could you make the text we can type selectable, so we could for example type The Mummy, and then, select ummy, and replace it, typing by ommy. It would help the user experience I think.

When the title search suggests to add "ummy" to complete the text that you've entered, you just have to press the SPACE key or the RETURN key, and "ummy" is added. Is it what you were asking for?