Switch to full style
Discussions about Coollector.
Post a reply

sort movies by cudtom field

Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 am

I want the ability to arrange my movie collection by a custom field so that I can group movies like "Batman begins", "The Dark Knight" and "dark knight rises" so that they appear in the database in the correct order.

Re: sort movies by cudtom field

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:21 am

I'm afraid I don't understand how that feature would work. Please give me more details...

Do you know a competing program with such a feature, so I can have a look at it?

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:31 am

deemgreg wrote:so that I can group movies like "Batman begins", "The Dark Knight" and "dark knight rises"

You can tag the Batman movies, the James Bond movies, etc... and use the tag filter to list them.

Wouldn't it be a satisfying solution?

Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:05 am

I used DVD Profiler for years before I switched to this program.They allowed me to edit the title field so that "Batman begins" became "Batman 1", "Dark knight" became "Batman 2" and "Dark knight rises" became "Batman 3". This allowed me to sort my movie database so that all the movie sequels appeared next to each other.

Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:27 am

We also name the movie sequels like you do. For example:

Indiana Jones 1: the Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones 2: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones 3: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones 4: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

The Dark Knight trilogy is a special case where I'm not convinced that it'd be a good idea to rename it.

Batman 1, Batman 2, and Batman 3 => movies would get mixed up with the Tim Burton trilogy.

The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight 2, and The Dark Knight 3 => confusing because Batman begins is a prequel.

For all those reasons, I've left the titles as they are. But generally we rename the movie sequels. If you find a movie sequel that is worth renaming, please tell me.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:27 am

Okay, then. would it be possible to add a numeric field so that I could number each movie in my database and sort it off that? I'm very OCD so getting everything perfect is important to me.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:42 am

Each movie would require to have that numeric field set. What happens if a movie doesn't have that field set? What happens when new movies are added?
Post a reply