It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: improve the predictions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:16 pm 

Hi :hi: Collector movie database Team,

I have rated 1873 movies and I have 3288 movies in my predictions list.
It is a huge collection of movies.Some of them(about 300) are excellent movies [The movies I never heard of; thanks to Collector movie database :D for this type of movies] but most of them are bad predictions.
Please improve the rating predictions :)

Please add the option to delete the bad prediction movies from the list.I think It will be helpful. :yes:

Post subject: Re: improve the predictions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:10 pm 

I've spent the last 2 weeks improving the predictions, and I think that you'll notice the difference.

How do you know that a prediction is bad if you haven't seen the movie? More than once I've had the case where a prediction seemed strange, but I gave the movie a chance, and I was pleasantly surprised. My best discovery was "Attack on Titan", an anime that I would never have considered watching otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:16 pm 

swarupbasak72 wrote:
Please add the option to delete the bad prediction movies from the list.I think It will be helpful. :yes:

The predicted rating of a movie keeps evolving as you rate more movies, and as we refine the prediction engine. I don't see the point of excluding movies from the predictions. If you know how good or bad a movie is, then rate it and it'll be over.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:49 pm 

Quote:
How do you know that a prediction is bad if you haven't seen the movie?

Depending on IMDB rating,thats all we do.

Yesterday I saw an episode of "Attack on Titan" an anime you suggested.It was amazing. :yes:
Thanks a lot :D .But I didn't find this title on the prediction list. :o

Glad to hear that you are working really hard to improving the predictions. :) Your effort for improving this software is highly appreciated. :clap:
Best of Luck. :V:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:43 pm 

swarupbasak72 wrote:
Quote:

The IMDb rating is an average of the ratings of all the users. There are some movies with a very good IMDb rating that I don't like, and there are others with a poor rating that I quite enjoyed. For example, I hate most musicals: "West Side Story", "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg", etc... But there are a few that I quite liked, for example "Grease". Well, the prediction engine is supposed to pick up those subtleties, and provide recommendations that are personalized to your own special taste, independently of what the average Joe thinks on IMDb.

When a movie doesn't have any predicted rating, then the IMDb rating is your only way to decide if it's worth watching. But if you get a predicted rating, this information should be even more important than the IMDb rating, because it's personalized to you.

swarupbasak72 wrote:
Yesterday I saw an episode of "Attack on Titan" an anime you suggested.It was amazing. :yes:
Thanks a lot :D

Cool :D

swarupbasak72 wrote:
But I didn't find this title on the prediction list. :o

The recommendations that you receive depend on the ratings that you gave to the movies you've seen. It's very important that you rate accurately. You could miss great recommendations if you give ratings that don't closely reflect how much you like a movie. It's probably worth it to review all your ratings to finely tune them.

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#movies

swarupbasak72 wrote:
Glad to hear that you are working really hard to improving the predictions.

I've made a terrible discovery. There was a nasty bug that was undermining all my efforts to improve the predictions. Now that I've fixed this bug, hopefully the predictions will truely become the great feature that it was supposed to be.

I have to delay the release of the new version of Coollector by a few days, because there are many things that I still have to check. But it'll be worth the wait, and you should like the result :w00t:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:57 pm 

swarupbasak72 wrote:
Quote:

You should not judge the quality of the prediction engine by comparing it with the IMDb ratings. If the predicted ratings just followed the IMDb ratings, that feature would be useless. Ordering the grids by IMDb rating would give the same result.

The best moment to judge if the predictions are reliable or not, is when you rate a movie. Was the predicted rating close to yours, or clearly wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:09 pm 

Quote:
There are some movies with a very good IMDb rating that I don't like, and there are others with a poor rating that I quite enjoyed.

Yes,That' true.In some-cases,some bad titles are overrated and also some good titles are low rated.
Sometimes IMDB rating is not acceptable. :nono:

Quote:
I have to delay the release of the new version of Coollector by a few days, because there are many things that I still have to check.

Waiting for the next version of Coollector with great expectations. :yahoo:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:23 pm 

swarupbasak72 wrote:
Waiting for the next version of Coollector with great expectations. :yahoo:

When the new version is released, I'll much appreciate the feedback of everyone.

In my case, the improvement was spectacular. I get much more predictions, and by comparing with the previous predictions, I can tell that they seem far more reliable. Most of the previous predictions were right, but the bug introduced many that were clearly wrong. Now, all the wrong predictions have disappeared or have been corrected!
Hopefully you'll get the same result :excited:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:49 pm 

:hi: Tonight I update my Coollector Movie Database to version 4.3.1 :)

In my opinion,it is as far the best version ever released. :excited: Thanks to Coollector Movie Database. :clap: From more than seven years you guys are working real hard to improving this software. :yes:
Hat's off to you. :V:

Only one problem.Now I have 8793 movies in my predictions list.I believe that I will not be able to watch these movies in my whole life. :rofl:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:00 pm 

swarupbasak72 wrote:
In my opinion,it is as far the best version ever released. :excited: Thanks to Coollector Movie Database. :clap: From more than seven years you guys are working real hard to improving this software. :yes:
Hat's off to you. :V:

Thank you very much!!!

swarupbasak72 wrote:
Only one problem.Now I have 8793 movies in my predictions list.I believe that I will not be able to watch these movies in my whole life. :rofl:

Don't worry, we'll watch them for you. Best customer support ever!!!