It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: General questions about functionality
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:46 pm 

Hello new user here. I've been using XMM for years and it's clunky with limited mobile accessibilty. I like the idea of web accessible but look forward to a mobile app.

That being said I did an import of 1900+ titles had 7 unmatched. At the surface that seems pretty good.. then I notice my coollection is 1661 movies. I take a look through and see that lots of collections type movie entries don't exist and I can't make my own entries. I see the forum and title submittal and see everything is based off IMDB entries. So what do you do with movie sets that don't have IMDB entries do you always break them into individual movies? Also since TV series are all combined into one entry how do I know which ones I own looking at the web portal? example standing at the dvd rack and I see something on sale but I can't look it up to see if I'm missing season 5 and 8 of CSI or whatnot.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: General questions about functionality
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:23 pm 

hammerhead wrote:
That being said I did an import of 1900+ titles had 7 unmatched. At the surface that seems pretty good.. then I notice my coollection is 1661 movies.

Do you mean that you imported 1900 video files which in the end amounted to 1661 movies and series? I suppose that some series had several episode files...

hammerhead wrote:
I take a look through and see that lots of collections type movie entries don't exist and I can't make my own entries.

Sorry, I don't understand what "collections type movie entries" means. Please explain again.

hammerhead wrote:
what do you do with movie sets that don't have IMDB entries do you always break them into individual movies?

Yes, movie packs are broken into individual movies. When a movie is included in a pack, the "owned videos" box of the movie lists the pack. And if you expand the pack, you'll see all the movies that it contains.

To create a pack, you have to add each movie one by one:
http://www.coollector.com/help.html#packs

hammerhead wrote:
Also since TV series are all combined into one entry how do I know which ones I own looking at the web portal?

You're right, our online publishing feature is basic, and will stay like that. But I'm working on a mobile app which will be much more elaborate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:14 pm 

First off thanks for the response and your time.

I imported my extreme movie manager XML database export into Coollector. 1911 titles imported, 7 not recognized, 1661 end total. Haven't figured out if it's just all the TV Seasons that collapsed in to single entries to account for the difference yet.

By collections type I mean: Things like "10-Film Man Cave Pack" was imported as the movie "10" I searched for a few others like Afterdark Horrorfest, The Prophecy Collection and I now assume I need to make packs for all of those.

I already added the 6 films from Star Wars: The Complete Saga individually I just need to make a pack now... Are the packs a searchable item once created?

I look forward to a mobile app. XMM had mobile app support through a 3rd party who has stopped maintaining their apps. My ideal would be sharing the DB to myself and my wife so either of us can tell if we have something when we are out and about. Maybe syncing between mobile and desktop so additions by barcode or title would be accessible everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:49 pm 

hammerhead wrote:
Haven't figured out if it's just all the TV Seasons that collapsed in to single entries to account for the difference yet.

That could be the explanation. Our program is movie-centric instead of video-centric.

hammerhead wrote:
Things like "10-Film Man Cave Pack" was imported as the movie "10" I searched for a few others like Afterdark Horrorfest, The Prophecy Collection and I now assume I need to make packs for all of those.

Absolutely. The import tries to figure out the movie from the title, but if it's not a movie title, the result is of course wrong.

hammerhead wrote:
Are the packs a searchable item once created?

There's a packed filter to find the movies inside a pack (don't forget to set the status filter to "owned").

You'll probably have to click the button "add/remove filters" to make appear the packed filter.

hammerhead wrote:
My ideal would be sharing the DB to myself and my wife so either of us can tell if we have something when we are out and about.

You could mail your coollection file to your wife.

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

Or even better, you could place your coollection file somewhere on your homegroup network, and your wife will just need a shortcut to that file.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:17 pm 

Thanks again for the help!
I went through the report.txt and reconciled the import errors as much as possible (got up to 1806 now).

I submitted a few titles to the forum thread to be added. I have to look into submitting art for a couple.

What do you do for stuff that is not on IMDB but you can still find on Amazon for example? I have a documentary from a national park and a couple odd ones.

Another question is the music DVD/Blu-ray etc are being excluded from this database to be included in a music db will that be standalone or an add on to coollector movie db?

Thanks again for your time, I've had a couple crashes in the Mac app but no data lost! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:15 pm 

hammerhead wrote:
What do you do for stuff that is not on IMDB

I only accept requests for movies that are on IMDb, but on your side you can ask the IMDb to add a movie...

http://www.imdb.com/czone/?ref_=nv_cm_cz_2

hammerhead wrote:
Another question is the music DVD/Blu-ray etc are being excluded from this database to be included in a music db will that be standalone or an add on to coollector movie db?

I plan to have a single program, and you'll swith between the databases.

hammerhead wrote:
I've had a couple crashes in the Mac app

If you find a way to reproduce a crash, I'll be happy to fix it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:26 pm 

I find it interesting that some of your users may do what I do by purchasing movies at bargain prices. In the past I have bought duplicates because I thought I didn't have that movie and the price was right. I guess it is obvious persons with a collection so large it requires an app to manage are not paying full price for their movies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:49 pm 

oldtimer wrote:
In the past I have bought duplicates because I thought I didn't have that movie and the price was right.

If you use our online publishing feature, you can use your smartphone to view your coollection while you're at the video store ;)