It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Transferring Database from PC to Mac
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:46 am 

I had maintained my movie database on my PC with your Windows version of the software. I recently purchased a MacBook Pro and wonder if I download the Mac version from the Apple Store, can I upload the database that I saved in my PC version, or do I need to re-input all the data? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Transferring Database from PC to Mac
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:19 am 

Absolutely, the coollection file works as well on a Mac as on a PC.

You just launch Coollector on your new Mac and select the menu "Help->Locate my coollection file".

Now that you've located the coollection file that you need to replace, you can close Coollector and replace the file with the one from your PC.

Tell me if you have any problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:22 am 

I you've bought a license for the Windows version, instead of the Mac App Store version you should rather download the Mac version from Macupdate and use your license information with it:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40674/coollector-movie-database

You should also download this version if you don't have a license and want to keep using the program for free with the 30 seconds nag screen. Indeed the free LITE version on the Mac App Store doesn't have a nag screen but is limited to 50 movies instead.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:05 am 

I've followed your directions. I purchased the Mac version of Coollector from the Apple Store. I downloaded the PC version of MyCoollection.cool from my cloud storage onto my MacBook.

But when I closed Coolector and clicked on the datafile to upload it, the Coolector program opened, but without importing my data file. I have approximately 900 owned titles and MyCoollection.cool datafile is 57KB. Does that sound accurate for that many titles.

Is there another method to transfer my datafile?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:44 am 

rcallain wrote:
But when I closed Coolector and clicked on the datafile to upload it, the Coolector program opened

Your Mac currently has an coollection file. What you did is locate that empty coollection file and double-click it, which has opened it. But of course it's still empty.

You have delete that empty Coollection file from your Mac, and replace it with the one from your PC (now that you know the right location where to put it)

rcallain wrote:
MyCoollection.cool datafile is 57KB

Initially the empty coollection file should be around 4KB. When you've replaced it, it should be 57KB.

Is it more clear?