Switch to full style
Discussions about Coollector.
Post a reply

Deleting entire database

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:47 am

If this has been already covered elsewhere my apologies.

I would like to delete all files of my owned movies or with other words delete the entire database and start from scratch.

From what I have understood in this forum I have located the .cool file and deleted it together with all the backups after closing the program.

However, upon re-opening I found all my owned movies still listed.

I would also like to know how to delete duplicate files. After having done my scan I see duplicate files listed but how to delete them and how to choose the one you want to keep?

Re: Deleting entire database

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:04 pm

klausadrift wrote:I would like to delete all files of my owned movies

You can un-associate the files with the menu "Tools->Manage my video files->Batch delete several file associations".

For example, entering the string "c:" will remove all the files from your C: drive.

klausadrift wrote:or delete the entire database and start from scratch.

To start from scratch, you have to delete your coollection file.

klausadrift wrote:From what I have understood in this forum I have located the .cool file and deleted it together with all the backups after closing the program.

However, upon re-opening I found all my owned movies still listed.

Visibly you haven't deleted the right file. You can use the menu "Help->Locate my coollection file" to find the right location.

More details about coollection files:

https://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

klausadrift wrote:I would also like to know how to delete duplicate files. After having done my scan I see duplicate files listed but how to delete them and how to choose the one you want to keep?

If the files have been moved and don't exist on your disk anymore, you can use the menu "Tools->Manage my video files->Find associations with missing files".

If you have several copies of the same movie and want to clean up your disk by deleting some duplicates, you can use the menu "Tools->Manage my video files->Find duplicate video files".

Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:18 am

klausadrift wrote:Visibly you haven't deleted the right file. You can use the menu "Help->Locate my coollection file" to find the right location.

Yes, that's what I have exactly done. i.e. locating the coollection file from the Help menu and then deleting the file after I had closed the program.

Upon reopening the program I noticed the coollection file to be somehow smaller in size but I still could see more than 1,000 "owned" movies from originally 1,300 movies.

As a good measure I have also deleted all backup files but with the same result.

BTW I am using a MAC.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:39 am

FYI I have just completely uninstalled the program with a dedicated uninstall program, rebooted the Mac and then to find out that all my owned movies are still listed.

From this I have to conclude that deleting the collector file and even the whole program is completely useless, since there is apparently a hidden file somewhere in the Mac's file system which stores all the data.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:21 am

What you describe is very mysterious :(

klausadrift wrote:there is apparently a hidden file somewhere in the Mac's file system which stores all the data.

Yes, all your data is stored inside a file, it's the coollection file, and it's not hidden at all. On the contrary, it's a file that you're supposed to manipulate easily to be able to delete it or to restore a backup.

The fact that your data keeps coming up is the proof that the right file hasn't been deleted. Maybe the help menu pointed you to the wrong file, even though it would be surprising...

klausadrift wrote:Yes, that's what I have exactly done. i.e. locating the coollection file from the Help menu and then deleting the file after I had closed the program.

That sounds perfect :yes:

klausadrift wrote:Upon reopening the program I noticed the coollection file to be somehow smaller in size

What's the file location and name? What are the initial and final sizes?

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:18 pm

(cool) Hector wrote:What's the file location and name? What are the initial and final sizes?

File location is :
/Users/MyName/Movies/Coollector Movie Database

and the name is exactly as before (MyCoollection.cool).

Original file size was 665 KBk for 1385 owned movies. After deleting MyCoollection.cool the file size was 122 KB and the listed owned movies was reduced to 1000+ movies.

The very fact that I had uninstalled the program, rebooted and re-installed should have eliminated any trace of my previous activities.

So I wonder what is going on here?

Searching for a .cool file on my MAC I stumbled over this additional file location. Could this be the "hidden" file causing the problem?

_Users_MyName_Library_Containers_com.Coollector.CoollectorMovieDatabase_Data_Movies_Coollector_Movie_Database_MyCoollection.cool

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:34 pm

klausadrift wrote:So I wonder what is going on here?

Me too! :roll:

klausadrift wrote:_Users_MyName_Library_Containers_com.Coollector.CoollectorMovieDatabase_Data_Movies_Coollector_Movie_Database_MyCoollection.cool

I think you've found something interesting!

This file you've found with the very long name, where is it located?

Are you using the version from the Mac App Store? What's the version number (it can be seen in the title bar of Coollector)?
Post a reply