It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Birth of Coollector
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:05 pm 

It would be great if you add a section in your website writing about how Coollector got its pulses. In simple words, you can post an article about how the idea came to you and the struggle in making the working version of the software.

I hope it will inspire a lots of developer. :) :) :)

Play Store: [COMING_SOON]

Post subject: Re: Birth of Coollector
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:54 pm 

It all started because I'm a movie fan.

In 1998, I've written myself a tool for my own usage. It was a Microsoft Access app that automatically fetched data from the IMDb and displayed the database (already) in a dual-pane window.

Sorry I don't remember well the details, it was the last century...

I've moved from Microsoft Access to Visual Basic, and I remember the interface was just an embedded Internet Explorer window where everything was written in HTML and modified by accessing the DOM.

Then I've moved from Visual Basic to C++ and it's been a painful change for me. Because I'm on my own with no one to give me any advice about programming, I've had a hard time to get a grasp on C++. It was like I didn't know how to program anymore. I've given up completely for 6 months, and when I got back to it, I don't know why it finally worked out.

One day I've decided to make my app public. It was free but I hoped to make a living from it thanks to the affiliation with CDuniverse and Amazon (I get a small percentage when users buy a DVD). Unfortunately this didn't work out and I made only a few bucks.

When my father died, I used my inheritance to give up my job and work full time on Coollector, hoping that the program would make money soon enough. But it didn't happen, and when my money ran dry, I should have given up, but I'm stubborn and instead I sold my appartment.

I don't remember the exact time frame, but at some point I've collaborated for several years with my cousin Stephane who helped me with maintaining the database while I was doing the programming. He's probably more reasonable than me, hence he finally gave up, while me, well, I'm stubborn...

Abubakar Siddique wrote:

I doubt it! Because I still don't make a decent living, I've had to move to my mother's house. I'm 46. I'm a failure. But I've put so much into this app, I'm proud of what I've built, I can't give up, even when I go through hard times. If I could go back in time though, I would not do it again and I'd have a normal life instead.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:16 pm 

Coollector was the first to introduce a couple of features before they got (most probably) copied.

As you type a search, it suggests the next word. Only a couple of years later Google has started doing the same thing. Coincidence? Not coincidence? I'll never know.

The movies are rated using smileys, ranging from crying to laughing, and from red to green. This visualization has become commonplace and I see it more and more often. No doubt it's a copycat. Let's say it's an achievement...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:42 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
It all started because I'm a movie fan.

In 1998, I've written myself a tool for my own usage. It was a Microsoft Access app that automatically fetched data from the IMDb and displayed the database (already) in a dual-pane window.

Sorry I don't remember well the details, it was the last century...

I've moved from Microsoft Access to Visual Basic, and I remember the interface was just an embedded Internet Explorer window where everything was written in HTML and modified by accessing the DOM.

Then I've moved from Visual Basic to C++ and it's been a painful change for me. Because I'm on my own with no one to give me any advice about programming, I've had a hard time to get a grasp on C++. It was like I didn't know how to program anymore. I've given up completely for 6 months, and when I got back to it, I don't know why it finally worked out.

One day I've decided to make my app public. It was free but I hoped to make a living from it thanks to the affiliation with CDuniverse and Amazon (I get a small percentage when users buy a DVD). Unfortunately this didn't work out and I made only a few bucks.

When my father died, I used my inheritance to give up my job and work full time on Coollector, hoping that the program would make money soon enough. But it didn't happen, and when my money ran dry, I should have given up, but I'm stubborn and instead I sold my appartment.

I don't remember the exact time frame, but at some point I've collaborated for several years with my cousin Stephane who helped me with maintaining the database while I was doing the programming. He's probably more reasonable than me, hence he finally gave up, while me, well, I'm stubborn...

Abubakar Siddique wrote:

I doubt it! Because I still don't make a decent living, I've had to move to my mother's house. I'm 46. I'm a failure. But I've put so much into this app, I'm proud of what I've built, I can't give up, even when I go through hard times. If I could go back in time though, I would not do it again and I'd have a normal life instead.

Well thats really nice to know about it. You are not a failure. There is no age limit for the developer.

Play Store: [COMING_SOON]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:06 pm 

You Absolutely are no failure, i think you are a pitbull.. Respect. I can't say, if stucking to what you believe in is right or wrong. But with youre attitude i am sure you can achieve everything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:43 pm 

Abubakar Siddique wrote:
You are not a failure.

Skinamp wrote:
You Absolutely are no failure,

Thank you guyz for your support!

When you're a grown-up and you're forced to go back to your mother's house for economical reasons, it does feel like a failure. It's a shock and an humiliation, I hope it'll never happen to you.

On the other hand, my company is bootstrapped, I'm not burning any investor's cash, I'm not a startup and glad I'm not. I don't like much how the current economy works, where people think that a company like Twitter is a success even though they've lost more than $2 Billion in 10 years. Don't get me started on Uber... I'm an old-fashion guy, I hate those bubbles.

I'm still convinced that success will arrive soon. I don't need a huge success. Making a decent living would make me happy enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:16 pm 

Wow!! Thanks Hector for sharing your story. I also believe you are not a failure, quite the contrary. I would consider you an inspiration. You are following your dream and not that many people can say that. Most people get in the comfort zone and yes, they might have a comfortable and stable life but is it worth it? I can assure you they will look back and realize they haven't accomplish anything worth mentioning.

As for living with your mother, I went through the same situation several years ago so I know how you feel. As a matter of fact, now we are living with my wife's parents. Things will get better though so keep it up!

You have the most amazing piece of software available to organize movie collections, period! I spent a lot of time researching and comparing different apps and Coollector is by far the most complete, versatile and customizable software out there. I'm not exactly sure why Coollector hasn't get more attention from movie aficionados... I'm also over 40 and not into social network but maybe you should invest some time and effort on "marketing" your app. For example, create your own youtube channel with easy to follow tutorials to show the potential of Coollector. There are so many people who could benefit from it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:39 pm 

totoroto wrote:
You have the most amazing piece of software available to organize movie collections, period! I spent a lot of time researching and comparing different apps and Coollector is by far the most complete, versatile and customizable software out there.

Thank you very much!

totoroto wrote:
maybe you should invest some time and effort on "marketing" your app.

I will soon make a small marketing stunt. We'll see if it gives some results.