It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Multiple users
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:07 am 

I just found this and I am looking into delving in!! It looks really awesome.

I just have some questions, I did look around and do some searches and I couldn't find any answers, so if they have already been asked and answered I am sorry. (Hopefully I am in the right forum as well...)

I am wanting to get the movies more organized than the current app I am using. I really like that you are pulling information from IMDB and that so many things can be rated. This is where my questions come from.

There are 4 of us in the family and we all have different tastes in movies, actors, actresses, and TV shows. So is there anyway to have one database yet have different profiles? Sort of like how Netflix has profiles for each family members?

Post subject: Re: Multiple users
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:36 am 

Your personal data is stored inside what we call a coollection file.

https://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

You can have multiple coollection files on your computer, one for each member of the family, with his own ratings, etc...

The problem will be with the owned movies, because each member will have to add his owned movies to his coollection file. It's not very convenient if you share all your movies with all the members of the family, but it can be an advantage for example if you have small kids and you want to add only the family movies and cartoons to their coollection, or if there are some movies that not everyone is interested in. If your movies are on disk, it's less of a problem because scanning is very fast.

StarWars63 wrote:
There are 4 of us in the family and we all have different tastes in movies, actors, actresses, and TV shows.

It looks like you're probably in the case where it's better if each coollection has its own set of movies, even if it's more work.

In the future, I plan to make it possible to work with 2 coollection files at the same time, one for the owned movies, and the other for the ratings, the reviews, etc... The interface of the program would seamlessly combine the 2 coollections. Several persons could use the same coollection for the owned movies, with each person having the right (or not) to modify it.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:42 am 

StarWars63 wrote:
Sort of like how Netflix has profiles for each family members?

For the shows on Netflix, of course there'll be no problem at all.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:32 am 

Thank you for the fast response. I can definitely do the multiple files. I can easily work with my husband on the easiest way to set that up.

(cool) Hector wrote:
If your movies are on disk, it's less of a problem because scanning is very fast.

What is the fastest way to scan the movies in? Is there a way to use a scanner on my phone to scan them in?

One other question for you, I saw a thread about this from 2008, yet nothing since. Can this database work with games for gaming systems?

Thank you so very much for helping me out with this and being patient with me. I think I am really going to like this!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:19 am 

StarWars63 wrote:
(cool) Hector wrote:
If your movies are on disk, it's less of a problem because scanning is very fast.
What is the fastest way to scan the movies in? Is there a way to use a scanner on my phone to scan them in?

I was talking about scanning the video files on your disk, because I didn't know what kind of movie collection you had. If you collect DVDs, you can scan the barcode with a barcode scanner, even a scanner as simple as a CueCat scanner. If you have an app on your phone to scan barcodes and it makes a list of the barcodes you've scanned, you can import that list with the menu "Tools->Import->Import a list of video barcodes".

I have plans to create my own phone app to scan barcodes, but I have so many other things planned, I can't give any date.

StarWars63 wrote:
I saw a thread about this from 2008, yet nothing since. Can this database work with games for gaming systems?

Games? Sorry, I've completely abandoned the idea. I will remain focused on movies for a long time. Probably one day I'll make the program work with music too, but it shouldn't happen until several years.