It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Predicted Actor's Ratings
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:12 am 

I have found a quick actor rating solution. I have implemented movies I had rated on Netflix star rating history into your program (I had saved the pages before canceling my subscriptions a little after the thumb up and down rating change.) So far I have rated 1,251 movies. From those movies I have rated 365 actors. I had found if I had rated at least three movies that the actor had been in, I would have a good understanding of the actor's ability to act. Based on that, I would look at all the movies I had rated with that actor and would decide the actors rating based on the average star ratings of the movies that they acted in.

For example actor: David Arquette

Movies David Arquette played in that I have rated:
Scream - Excellent +
Scream 2 - Neutral
Scream 3 -Very Good
Riding The Bullet - Bad

My Average rating for this actor would be Good. Could you please auto suggest an actors rating the same as predicted movie ratings based on the movies you have rated. This would be very helpful. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Predicted Actor's Ratings
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:56 am 

Thank you for your suggestion, but I'm afraid I disagree with your reasoning. In my opinion, averaging the movie ratings isn't a way to determine how much you like an actor, because our relation to actors isn't mathematical, it's emotional. Many actors we love simply because they're good looking. There's no way a program can predict how much you'll like an actor based on your movie ratings. Movies generally have many actors, some good, some bad, the story is also very important, the directing too. It's impossible to relate your movie rating to how much you like an actor. Maybe it could work a little with directors, but certainly not with actors.

Anyway, what would be the use of predicting how much you'll like an actor? To decide what movie to watch? For that you already have the movie recommendations...