It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Movie Spoke Language
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:38 am 

Can you add filter for Movie spoken Language not the DVD language

Post subject: Re: Movie Spoke Language
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:21 am 

Sorry, our database doesn't contain that information.

Most US movies are in English, most France movies are in French, etc... There are very few exceptions.

The IMDb has information about the language, but in my opinion it's not worth adding to our database.

For example:
Inception => English | Japanese | French
Batman Begins => English | Urdu | Mandarin
Saving Private Ryan => English | French | German | Czech

There's some Czech in Saving Private Ryan? Whoo cool... Nope!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:54 am 

I would love Language added as well, though I only care about the primary language. In fact, it's one of the main reasons I really got into wanting to create a list of shows I am watching on Netflix--Netflix has an amazing assortment of shows in various countries, and I feel a desire to "collect" languages I've seen shows in. Yet it's not always obvious. For example, a show that takes place in Singapore could primarily be in Tamil or Mandarin.

Also, it would be nice to be able to filter by Language. For example, all shows in French I've seen, whether they take place in Belgium, France, or various countries in Africa, etc.

I wonder if TMDb (The Movie Database) would be a better source for Language than IMDb since TMDb only lists the Original Language. 7 Khoon Maaf, for example, (a really good movie by the way!) is listed as Hindi, while IMDb has "Hindi | English | Urdu | Russian." And Saving Private Ryan is only "English" in TMDb.

(Unfortunately, as I also want the primary country, TMDb only shows a flag, which doesn't help me at all!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:34 am 

ColorChord wrote:
Saving Private Ryan is only "English" in TMDb.

Thank you for telling me that TMDb would be a better source, but I still don't plan to add the language information to our database.

ColorChord wrote:
Netflix has an amazing assortment of shows in various countries, and I feel a desire to "collect" languages I've seen shows in.

I doubt there are many users like you. I suggest you could use the tags, for example "watched in Mandarin"...

Regarding the Netflix videos, I plan to add information about their audio languages and their subtitle languages. This feature could be quite useful as the official Netflix interface doesn't allow to filter by language.