It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:50 am 

I know you are all aware that when adding a film to your library/Database they are many case covers shown. How do I display the proper one when I do have the correct DVD for that cover.

Post subject: Re: DVD Covers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:47 am 

LGreinke wrote:
I know you are all aware that when adding a film to your library/Database they are many case covers shown.

Those are the existing videos. It's all the videos that the app knows that exist, and they're shown inside the "existing videos" box.

LGreinke wrote:
How do I display the proper one when I do have the correct DVD for that cover.

You have to add your owned DVD and it'll appear inside the "owned videos" box.

Each DVD has a barcode. To add your owned DVD, either you do a barcode search from the barcode search tab, either you browse the existing videos until you find the one you own, you click on it, then click the button "add as owned".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:14 pm 

Thank you for your efforts in resolving my issue. I have done all that you have said even before I posted my situation. I click on the correct version of the video I have from the ones shown. I indicate that I own it. I go to my owned videos and the cover of the very first video is shown, not the version I own/selected even though the data is correct. Not the picture.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:37 pm 

LGreinke wrote:
Not the picture.

Even after you add an owned DVD, the picture of the movie will remain the same. It's a movie poster, not a video cover. Only inside the "owned videos" box you should see the cover of your owned DVD.

LGreinke wrote:
I indicate that I own it. I go to my owned videos and the cover of the very first video is shown, not the version I own/selected even though the data is correct.

Are you saying that the DVD cover you see in the "owned videos" box isn't the one that you chose? I've just made the test and it works fine on my computer. Are you sure you're using the latest version 4.13.6 of the app? Please tell me which exact video you're adding so I can make the test.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:15 am 

HI there,

I have recently bought the app. Great job I love it. I have gone to enter a couple of blu-ray's and I am also having the same problem with it not displaying the correct image.

Example
Pitch Perfect 2 4K
Barcode 191329051986

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:34 am 

Marns17 wrote:
I have recently bought the app. Great job I love it.

Thank you very much!

Marns17 wrote:
Example
Pitch Perfect 2 4K
Barcode 191329051986

On my computer, the cover seems to be the right one. Does it help if you press the F5 key to force-redownload it?

Attachment:
cover.jpg
cover.jpg [ 113.52 KiB | Viewed 12853 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 pm 

LGreinke wrote:
I know you are all aware that when adding a film to your library/Database they are many case covers shown. How do I display the proper one when I do have the correct DVD for that cover.

I bought the program today. Why is it that this issue has not been solved. I search for a movie and the program finds it immediately and shows a particular thumbnail. Then I go and find the thumbnail that matches my version of the dvd. I add it to my OWNED list and it is added with the wrong thumbnail (for the same movie) There have been many complaints about this but apparently it has not been fixed. Any solutions, please?. I am running version 4.14.4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:42 pm 

Melius wrote:
Why is it that this issue has not been solved.

I don't think there's any issue, I think you're confusing the movie poster and the DVD cover.

I've already explained it in my answers above, but let's repeat again...

Every time a movie is displayed inside a grid, what you see is the movie poster which is the same for everyone and doesn't change even if you own DVDs of that movie. Theorically the movie poster should be a theatrical poster, but in practice it's common that all we could find is a DVD cover. Nonetheless, even when it's just a DVD cover, the picture that illustrates the movie is the same for everyone and doesn't change.

On the other end, the DVD cover is displayed in only one place, which is inside the "owned videos" box.

If you get a wrong cover inside the "owned videos" box, please post a screenshot so I can check if it's a bug.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:37 am 

Hi Hector, I am now experimenting with what I can do and how best to use your database for my purposes.

I suspect my issue is similar to this thread, though, I think, different.

I have a DVD for the kids, "Aladdin 2-Disk Special Edition" that "Includes A Virtual Magic Carpet Ride" as an extra feature. The barcode for this does not show on your, nor I believe the IMDb list. I chose the one most closely matching the cover and detail I had (film length 1hr 27 mins in English, DVD Region 4) and marked as 'Owned' I then changed the relevant detail to match what was on the cover, including Barcode (though I needed to select special edition only as it would not allow me to add '2-disk special edition'). However, once I did that I then lost the picture on the right pane and in the input screen, but sort of got a picture in the left pane (though no where near the Art Work chosen, picture attached, let alone my actual cover, but OK I guess) and there does not seem anyway to get that back.

I have attached three pictures to show what I mean. Can this movie be added with original cover art (or at least the Art work that is similar)? Also in the right pane, and when I open to edit, only the 'generic disk' shows, though in the left pane a picture does show.

I am now concerned that there may be a lot of my DVD's like this as many movies are for the Australian Market and therefore might not be included on your database. Is there anyway around this? I could scan the cover, but I don't see how I can add / associate that art work to my owned DVD and reading your answers it seems this is not something that you considered possible (like say Calibre e-Book database)

Also did you have a way to include the movie rating, eg, in this DVD it is rated 'G' for Australia, so making searches for suitable shows for grandkids would be easier.

Attachments:
Aladdin Coollector.JPG
Aladdin Coollector.JPG [ 711.3 KiB | Viewed 10063 times ]
Aladdin Icon Chosen.JPG
Aladdin Icon Chosen.JPG [ 21.06 KiB | Viewed 10063 times ]
Aladdin 2-Disk Special Edition.JPG
Aladdin 2-Disk Special Edition.JPG [ 267.53 KiB | Viewed 10063 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:24 am 

bargeo wrote:
The barcode for this does not show on your

When a video is missing, you can request its addition from the dedicated forum thread:
https://www.coollector.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2273

if it's a pack, it's another thread:
https://www.coollector.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2272

bargeo wrote:
it would not allow me to add '2-disk special edition'

You can enter any value you want. You just select the field and start typing.

bargeo wrote:
I then lost the picture on the right pane and in the input screen, but sort of got a picture in the left pane

You need to understand the difference between movie poster and video cover.

The movie poster is the same for everyone and won't change even after you've added an owned video.

On the other hand, the video's cover depends on the video's barcode. If you select a different barcode, you'll get a different cover. If you enter a barcode that we don't have in our database of existing videos, the video won't have a cover at all (until we finally add that video to our database).

bargeo wrote:
Can this movie be added with original cover art (or at least the Art work that is similar)?

The movie will always have the same poster, but you can request the missing video to be added.

bargeo wrote:
I am now concerned that there may be a lot of my DVD's like this as many movies are for the Australian Market and therefore might not be included on your database.

I'm tracking the release of australian DVDs. If you find some missing, you can request their addition.

bargeo wrote:
I could scan the cover, but I don't see how I can add / associate that art work to my owned DVD and reading your answers it seems this is not something that you considered possible (like say Calibre e-Book database)

Indeed that's not possible and I haven't yet decided if I'll add that feature someday. Clearly not a priority.

bargeo wrote:
Also did you have a way to include the movie rating, eg, in this DVD it is rated 'G' for Australia, so making searches for suitable shows for grandkids would be easier.

You can filter the movies (not the videos) by MPAA rating. If the MPAA rating filter isn't shown, you'll have to press the button "Add/Remove Filters".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:17 pm 

Hi Hector, There seems to be a language barrier here. I consider a DVD to be a movie, and a VHS / Beta to be a Video. Might be good to get your definition as confusing me!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:49 pm 

bargeo wrote:
I consider a DVD to be a movie, and a VHS / Beta to be a Video.

A DVD is certainly not a movie! How would you call the DVD of a series? A movie?

A movie is for example "Inception", "True Lies", "Pulp Fiction", etc...

DVD, BLU-RAY, VHS, Laserdisc, etc... are all videos (of movies/series).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:55 pm 

Coollector is a database of movies (and series).

The movies are shown with a poster which is the same for everyone.

Inside "owned videos" and "existing videos" and only there you can see the covers of each video.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:04 pm 

Ok, I think I understand where you are coming from. I will need to recalibrate my ancient thinking. I don't really collect electronic files anyway. only interested in hard 'physical' media.

Anyway, MPAA rating does not appear to work for me. I tried selecting 'G' in the filters, but Aladdin won't show. I can't see where that field is in the edit section either to ensure it has a value.

I have overcome this by putting the G, PG, M, R as another field in the 'Detail(s)' section (along with value) and now shows Aladdin when I select 'G' in the video details field. Guess that is a least something :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:10 pm 

P.S. you asked "How would you call the DVD of a series? A movie?" Personally I would actually call that an episode :)