It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Original titles
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:13 am 

How do I make sure I log a movie ONLY in its original title. Example. Amores Perros is being logged as Life's a bitch. (Horrible!) Whatever the language I would much prefer to log a movie in its original title and not in the English version. A film is 99% of the time known internationally in its mother tongue, not the English translation. When I look up Amores Perros I will look under the As not L's for Life's a bitch.

Post subject: Re: Original titles
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:13 am 

Melius wrote:
A film is 99% of the time known internationally in its mother tongue, not the English translation.

Where does that number come from? In my opinion, this number you made up is very off. Lots of foreign movies don't have an English title, but when they do it's for a reason (I don't add an English aka when the IMDb marks it as "literal translation"). Tons of foreign movies are known by the English people with their English aka. I would be ok to remove the English aka from this movie if it was a mistake, but if you make a Google search, you'll see that all the websites do reference that aka:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Life%27s+a+bitch%22+%22Amores+Perros%22

Coollector comes with an English movie database, and as such the English title is displayed first, with the original title displayed second. It's the same for the posters, the English poster is prefered. Sorry, I won't change that. I agree with you that sometimes it can be a small annoyance like with the example you gave, but unfortunately the app has no way to tell when one rule should be applied rather than the other.