It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Database install other than default
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:34 pm 

Hi, I am a new user, downloaded program today, so a big learning curve. I wanted the program mainly to keep control of Videos and Disks I own. To this end I attempted to install, first time around it defaulted to my C: drive. I then tried to install to my NAS drive, it would seem this is not allowed (won't show these drives to be selected). I then installed to a D:\ drive. Programs went in but the database seems to insist on installing into the C: drive and won't let me run the program unless the database is there. I then reinstalled to a USB I made as V:\ drive. In every instance I could not get the database to install any where but in the C: drive. Even moving the folders elsewhere and changing the file in the shortcut file did not work.
Can someone advise how to install both program and database onto either a removable USB or better, to my NAS drive. Further when deciding to use a USB drive, the program insists on the database being on my limited Hard Drive and as this is used solely for work this is not acceptable to me. Is there anyway an install can be forced for both program and database to another drive, preferably my NAS, but at least a USB.

Post subject: Re: Database install other than default
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:48 pm 

bargeo wrote:
Hi, I am a new user

Hi and welcome :D

Most users don't want to bother with the various file locations, that's why the standard version of the app uses predetermined locations that you can't change.

If you want to decide where the app and the database will be installed, you have to use the portable version of the app:

https://www.coollector.com/Coollector_4_17_3_Portable_Setup.exe

Furthermore, if you want to share your personal data between several computers by putting it somewhere on your network, here you'll learn more about it:

https://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:49 pm 

:roll: Thanks for the explanation Hector. Maybe I am strange. Many thanks for the advise and will try that out as soon as I can. :worried:
(cool) Hector wrote:
bargeo wrote:
Hi, I am a new user

Hi and welcome :D

Most users don't want to bother with the various file locations, that's why the standard version of the app uses predetermined locations that you can't change.

If you want to decide where the app and the database will be installed, you have to use the portable version of the app:

https://www.coollector.com/Coollector_4_17_3_Portable_Setup.exe

Furthermore, if you want to share your personal data between several computers by putting it somewhere on your network, here you'll learn more about it:

https://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:04 am 

bargeo wrote:
Maybe I am strange.

I didn't mean that you're strange, only that you're more computer savvy than the average user. It's no problem, the portable version is made for users like you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:51 am 

Thanks for the build up. OK installed, gave me an option for install (still won't see my NAS drive! Any reason for that?). As no NAS I got it to install to my USB drive as V:\Coollector by just changing what came up as default (G:\Coollector) drive to V: (did not use browse). I thought it would also ask me for a different database folder location, but it did not. It just put the MyCollection.cool file in the same location. I had the Coollector.exe (18/01/2021, 10.10pm) from previous install there and assumed it would overwrite / update. After Install it got me to go through the learning cycle all over again (I had hoped it would recognize this from my last install). I then closed and went back in using the exe file on V:\, however it did not work. The exe file on V: is still Coollector.exe (18/01/2021, 10.10pm). The Portable.txt file is blank. It appears to be looking for the program on H:\. I do not have a H:\ drive. I then renamed the exe file on V:\ and re-installed. This time it came up with an error message on opening file for writing V:\Coollector\Databases\english.movies.dat, it appears the database was still open so closed this in the task manager. What went wrong? :cry2: I then went back and again reinstalled to V:. This time it put in another exe (same date and time) but this time it worked! On a whim, I then transferred all files from V: into my NAS (X:) under a 'Collector' Folder. Ejected V: and then clicked on NAS located exe - Success! it worked :D What a rigmarole. Many thanks for the assistance and tips.
(cool) Hector wrote:
bargeo wrote:
Maybe I am strange.

I didn't mean that you're strange, only that you're more computer savvy than the average user. It's no problem, the portable version is made for users like you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:23 am 

bargeo wrote:
gave me an option for install (still won't see my NAS drive! Any reason for that?).

Sorry, I have no idea. It's a NSIS installer, I don't control how it works. Have you tried to find your NAS from the "Network" location?

bargeo wrote:
As no NAS I got it to install to my USB drive as V:\Coollector

After the install you can move that folder to your NAS.

bargeo wrote:
I thought it would also ask me for a different database folder location, but it did not.

Everything, absolutely everything is stored inside a single folder.

bargeo wrote:
After Install it got me to go through the learning cycle all over again (I had hoped it would recognize this from my last install).

The portable version is completely unaware of any other version. It focuses only on what's inside its folder. You only had to copy your previous coollection file to the folder to be set up.

bargeo wrote:
The Portable.txt file is blank.

The exe of the portable version is exactly the same as the regular version. The only difference is the existence of Portable.txt. When there's Portable.txt, the exe behaves as the portable version and stores the app settings inside Portable.txt.

bargeo wrote:
It appears to be looking for the program on H:\. I do not have a H:\ drive.

You lost me on this one...

bargeo wrote:
On a whim, I then transferred all files from V: into my NAS (X:) under a 'Collector' Folder.

That's what I was about to suggest you.

bargeo wrote:
What a rigmarole.

The principles are rather simple. Everything in a single folder that you can move around at any time, the exe is the same but Portable.txt tells it to behave as portable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:45 am 

bargeo wrote:
What a rigmarole.

I've just made the test and installing the portable version was a smooth experience. I suppose you've been particularly unlucky.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:49 pm 

Anyway thank you. :) All worked out on that part in the end.
As for some of your responses:
"Have you tried to find your NAS from the "Network" location?" - yes I did but only shows my computer.
"You only had to copy your previous coollection file to the folder to be set up." - I kinda did that. I copied into the same V: drive, but the databases are located in another folder as set up by the standard install which I used on the V: drive in the hope of mimicking C: drive, but did not work, ie, V:\users\public\.... So in doing this your program obviously did not find these. Perhaps some dedicated direction when installing the 'portable' version to take those files and put them into same folder would be helpful to future users.
"looking for the program on H:\" - I lost you :? - ok, sorry. At some point once I installed the portable version by replacing drive G: with V: instead of selecting from browse it seemed to be pointing to a drive H: as when opening the program it came back with a message that it could not find files on drive H: (instead of V:). When I reinstalled using the 'browse' button and selecting the drive that way it installed in V: and opened fine.
"What a rigmarole" - was my comment on the entire process I used, especially as I installed the Standard Edition first (my fault). If I had just downloaded and installed the portable edition first it probably would not have caused any problems. - Might I suggest that you make these versions clearer on your download page along with the differences as it seemed to me that there was only one choice when I downloaded the program, thus my obvious series of issues. Sorry for the inconvenience to you. But thank you for your perseverance.
(cool) Hector wrote:
bargeo wrote:
What a rigmarole.

I've just made the test and installing the portable version was a smooth experience. I suppose you've been particularly unlucky.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:00 pm 

bargeo wrote:
especially as I installed the Standard Edition first (my fault)

It's not your fault at all, it's just that you expected your previous install to count when in fact the portable version doesn't even look if there's another install, it doesn't mess with any data from the host computer, it cares only about its own folder. With the portable version, you can plug an USB key into a friend's computer even if he has Coollector installed for himself.

bargeo wrote:
Might I suggest that you make these versions clearer on your download page along with the differences as it seemed to me that there was only one choice when I downloaded the program

Too much info would scare away average users. Advanced users with advanced needs need to dig deeper, and I think it has to be this way. The vast majority of Coollector's users have basic needs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:27 pm 

Is there a mobile phone version (Android) of Coollector available that can use the same data file?

If so, where do I download / install from?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:42 pm 

It's planned but it won't be soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:15 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:

That is a bit of bad luck. My problem is I get to a DVD sale and no longer sure if I have a title or not, so this would be a great aid! :doh:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:17 am 

Another question. Does your program support direct barcode scanning?

If so what scanner do you know works your program best?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:29 am 

bargeo wrote:
(cool) Hector wrote:

That is a bit of bad luck. My problem is I get to a DVD sale and no longer sure if I have a title or not, so this would be a great aid! :doh:

You can use the online publishing feature from the menu "Tools->Online Backup & Publish".

It will create a webpage that you can browse from your smartphone. For example, here's my page:

https://www.coollector.com/coollection.php?user=cool_hector&list=OwnedMovies

bargeo wrote:
Another question. Does your program support direct barcode scanning?

If so what scanner do you know works your program best?

Any barcode scanner that sends the barcode to your computer as if you had typed it with the keyboard. I think it's all of them but I'm not 100% sure. Personally I have a CueCat and it works fine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:22 am 

bargeo wrote:
(cool) Hector wrote:
bargeo wrote:
I suspect if opening from my Synology NAS drive (X:\) then it will have difficulty.

I doubt it's the explanation. Coollector is run by the Windows OS of your computer and your NAS drive is just a hard disk like any other. When you launch the update, it's handled by Windows and the UAC (User Account Crontrol) asks you if you want to allow the updater to run or not. Do you get that message?
Quote:
possibly. NAS have own inbuilt 'computer' using Linex OS. I could not get your portable software to ever install directly to my NAS drive. I always have to install on a C: or D:, indeed even a thumb drive that connects direct to the computer. Your software will not find any other type of drive. Thus even though I can use the software on the NAS, and even opens the updater and downloads, it won't install and every time I open it it is the original pre-download version.

bargeo wrote:
I won't really know when you have updated.

When Coollector is running, it connects to the internet to detect if a new update is available. The location on disk doesn't have any influence.
Quote:
I copied previous thread from Movies to this one as I don't believe we should clutter the movies thread with too much extraneous stuff.

I just went into 'Coollector' (portable) on my NAS (X:\Coollector) and it downloaded as you said it would. However re-starting, nothing happened after around 20 secs. I went back into it manually and it still showed as ver 4.17.4, just as I said it would in my above comment. Further under the Databases folder it showed 'english.movies.dat' as 21/2/2021.

I then went into the copy of 'Coollector' (portable) on my D:\Coollector (a SD card on my computer) and again it downloaded as you said it would. However after pressing the re-starting icon the Install feature came up after around 8 secs. After it finished, I went back into it manually and it then showed up as ver 4.17.5, just as I said it would in my above comment. Further under the Databases folder it showed 'english.movies.dat' as 13/3/2021.

Thus I would say that whatever happens in your software, it does not recognise NAS drives (possibly due to some sort of conflict with the Linex OS used by NAS boxes as a sort of server software) for either installing to or even updating to. Are you able to find a work around on this as I am sure others (admittedly, maybe not a large number) would also appreciate this?