It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Owned DVD Location
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:25 am 

Now I have the portable version finally installed on my NAS, I wanted to load a DVD into my owned folder and then tried to give it a 'Pack Name' of 'DVD-Main Family Book Shelf' (I have presently 4 DVD locations and will have another for some old 'VHS'), and a 'Pack Location' of 'Main DVD Book Shelf'. Then going into the Filter search, neither showed, only the default. I then decided to get out of the program, then went back in and presto, Video Location worked, but a search on Pack Name did not. What am I doing wrong? It would also help if I could add these rooms / pack locations in say 'settings' and just select as I go rather than have to enter a new location each time (and perhaps risk an accidental new location). How do I control a 'loan' of the video while keeping track of original location to be returned to? Also I don't think I am using 'Pack Name' correctly, so not sure of your intent for that field. You stated "A pack is a group of movies contained inside a single package. All those movies share the same location: the location of the pack." I took this as all my DVD's in say Book Shelf A, V's those in Book Shelf B as being the pack, but I might not interpret this as you intended. If I have, then what is purpose of 'location'? Do you have a separate 'Loan Field' or is location then to be used as the loan field?

Post subject: Re: Owned DVD Location
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:33 am 

You've lost me. Completely. Do you own real DVDs or did you convert them into video files on your NAS?

If they're real DVDs, you can use the "location" field to remember where you stored them, for example "Box 5 in the attic". A pack name is for example "Harry Potter 8 Movies".

If they're files on your NAS, you have to scan them and the "location" field will store their path. The concept of pack doesn't apply to video files, only to real physical medias.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:11 pm 

Thank you, yes, I have 'real' DVD's and Videos, thus your answer of "If they're real DVDs, you can use the "location" field to remember where you stored them, for example "Box 5 in the attic". A pack name is for example "Harry Potter 8 Movies" is the explanation I was after. Now makes sense to me finally :D (takes me a while to catch on ;) )

Ok then, are we able to have a separate field to show the item is on loan and to whom, so I can keep track while still keeping the original location in place for when it gets returned? (help me know the blank location is taken). Would also be great to have a list of names that I can enter and scroll down then click on in a separate field when loaned (I guess similar to your 'location' field but as a separate field from location) and click off when returned as mainly family members borrow my videos, especially over school holidays, and I can lose track of who I lent them to.

Also it would also help if I could add these locations in bulk through say 'settings' and then just select as I go, mainly useful to start the set-up process, rather than have to enter a new location in the location field, but I can handle what you have at present.

(cool) Hector wrote:
You've lost me. Completely. Do you own real DVDs or did you convert them into video files on your NAS?

If they're real DVDs, you can use the "location" field to remember where you stored them, for example "Box 5 in the attic". A pack name is for example "Harry Potter 8 Movies".

If they're files on your NAS, you have to scan them and the "location" field will store their path. The concept of pack doesn't apply to video files, only to real physical medias.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:11 pm 

bargeo wrote:
Ok then, are we able to have a separate field to show the item is on loan and to whom, so I can keep track while still keeping the original location in place for when it gets returned?

You can click the loan smiley to mark a movie as loaned. It works only for movies, not for videos. It's a very simple feature, you just have to click an icon. Loaning individual videos would make the feature much more complex. That's quite enough for everyone, unless you're running a public library, in which case Coollector isn't the right app for the task.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:17 pm 

Hmm... Ok, In my case I do have parents, 4 children and their young kids (so 5 families to keep track of), my memory is not what it was and I was hoping to put in names to ensure I don't forget who has them. Oh well, I may just need to keep my paper loan list. :worried:
(cool) Hector wrote:
bargeo wrote:
Ok then, are we able to have a separate field to show the item is on loan and to whom, so I can keep track while still keeping the original location in place for when it gets returned?

You can click the loan smiley to mark a movie as loaned. It works only for movies, not for videos. It's a very simple feature, you just have to click an icon. Loaning individual videos would make the feature much more complex. That's quite enough for everyone, unless you're running a public library, in which case Coollector isn't the right app for the task.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:26 pm 

bargeo wrote:
I was hoping to put in names to ensure I don't forget who has them.

I've simplified a little, the loan feature do ask you to input the name of the person.

bargeo wrote:
In my case I do have parents, 4 children and their young kids (so 5 families to keep track of)

Ok, but how often do you loan the same movie to 2 different persons? Even if it happens, which should be extremely rare, you'll just have to input both names and voila.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:33 pm 

Ahh... Tried it, ok, should do fine thanks. :D