It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Coollector Movie Database
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:35 pm 

Hi
Is it possible to change the location of backups from My Documents\Coollector\MyCoollection.cool.
I want to be able to save the .COOL file or the backups on another drive like D drive.
Best Regards

Post subject: Re: Coollector Movie Database
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:05 pm 

The backups are saved to the default location, there's no way to change that, but afterwards you can move them to another location without any consequence.

Regarding the .cool file which is currently in use, if you launch the app it'll open the .cool file from the default location. But you can move the .cool file to any location you want, and to launch it you'll double-click it (instead of launching the app).

It's a way that opens for advanced users the opportunity to have several coollection files on their computer. Personaly I have mine on my desktop and I've set a keyboard shortcut to launch it instantly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:36 pm 

Thanks for the clarification .The reason I asked is because I have the C drive frozen on my PC.And I always use the D drive for backups and saved stuff. Can you please consider the option of saving the cool file in future release. My second question is . Is it possible to make several MyCoollection.cool files with specific categories such ad Drama. Action, Musical..etc. For example DramaMycoolection.cool file.and so on. If yes then can I add new movies to the .cool file database.

Best Regards

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:27 pm 

Alex711 wrote:
The reason I asked is because I have the C drive frozen on my PC.

What do you mean "frozen"? You can't use it at all? If that's the case, you must repair it (CHKDSK) or format it.

Alex711 wrote:
Can you please consider the option of saving the cool file in future release.

Average users don't bother at all with the files location. I've never heard of a frozen C drive before. For the advanced users, they can have coollection files all over the place if they want. I don't see a need to add a setting that would make the app more complex than necessary.

Alex711 wrote:
Is it possible to make several MyCoollection.cool files with specific categories such ad Drama.

Why would you do that? Why not use the genre filter instead?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:20 pm 

Sorry for misunderstanding. What I mean by frozen is that I use deep freeze software. which is able to freeze drive C. It protects endpoints by Freezing a snapshot of a computer’s desired configuration and settings and Restore from any unexpected changes with a simple reboot. What do you mean by using the genre filter instead? How would you do that. My wish is to categorize each genre in a a separate database file.
Best Regards

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:08 am 

Alex711 wrote:
What I mean by frozen is that I use deep freeze software.

I had never heard of such a thing. I can tell you frankly, I doubt that I'll ever add such a setting, I like it the way it is.

Alex711 wrote:
What do you mean by using the genre filter instead?

You keep all your movies in a single database, and when you want to display only the drama movies, you make a filtered search, using the genre filter. If the genre filter isn't visible (there are too many filters to show them all), you'll have to make it appear by clicking the button "Add/Remove Filters".

Filters are very powerful, you can use several genre filters simulteanously or you can use negative filters like "NOT animated". Your idea of separate databases would be unmanageable because most movies have several genres.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:23 am 

Sorry it took me this long to realize :doh:

What you're asking for is the portable version of Coollector...

You can find it on our homepage:

https://www.coollector.com/

Here's the direct link:

https://www.coollector.com/Coollector_4_18_3_Portable_Setup.exe

You tell it what folder to use (on your D drive) and absolutely all the files will be saved inside that folder. It's called "portable" because it's originally intended to be used on a USB key that you can take with you and use on any computer without writing anything on that host computer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:04 am 

I thank you so much for taking the time to clear things up. Now I am going to download the portable version and start using it. I will let you know how did it go ...only if you are interested. Please let me know IF the portable version has the same functions as the setup version.
Quote:
I had never heard of such a thing. I can tell you frankly, I doubt that I'll ever add such a setting, I like it the way it is.
Deep freeze give me a peace of mind in case windows go wrong or attacked by virus. If such thing happens. You just restart the PC and all your setting things remain unchanged.
Best Regards

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:59 am 

Alex711 wrote:
Please let me know IF the portable version has the same functions as the setup version.

It's exactly the same, only the file locations are different.