It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: My next brainstorm, think about it.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:33 pm 

Did you ever go to a bookstore, buy an interesting book only to find out, too late, that youve already read it? Same goes for movies. PDA's can solve that but there is another issue. How about if you rented it?
In this world of Netflix and Red Box, more movies are being rented then purchased.
How about this for an option? You can enter a movie as rented and it will stay in your database. You would have a search for Owned, Rented or Owned&Rented.
I know this goes against the concept of a collection database BUT I have rented four times as many DVD's as I have purchased. If the economy stays as bad as it seems, most other people will too.
Just add a smilie like Loaned and call it Rented.

Just a suggestion.

Post subject: Re: My next brainstorm, think about it.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:47 pm 

Tybee Bill wrote:
Did you ever go to a bookstore, buy an interesting book only to find out, too late, that youve already read it? Same goes for movies.

It's simple, if you've seen a movie but don't own it (either you watched it in theater, on TV, or rented it), you can still rate it. In fact, a movie you haven't rated is supposed to be a movie you haven't seen. Even better, it'll show if you liked the movie or not, and you won't be tempted to watch again a crap movie. And when you'll see the filmography of a person, at first glance you'll know if that person was involved with many movies you've seen, and if those were good or bad movies.

Last but not least, I plan to add a "watched" field where you'll be able to detail your viewings history: how many times you've watched a movie, when, and where (theater, Netflix, etc...).

Who needs a "rented" icon ?

Tybee Bill wrote:
I know this goes against the concept of a collection database

Coollector wants to be much more than just a collection database. It's also a movie encyclopedia. It's also a database of existing videos. It's also a shopping tool. Etc...

Please have another look at our homepage: www.coollector.com

"With Coollector, you track your owned videos, as well as all the movies you've seen, good or bad. In the end, it'll reflect your whole cinematographic culture and taste."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:20 pm 

Okay. If I rate it, will it show up in my database as owned or rated or what?
Idealy I could create a list of owned AND rated.

Otherwise I would have to rate every DVD that I own so that the rated set would include everything. I enter DVD's at the time of purchase and sometimes don't watch right away or even rate. I do this because I want the record date to match the purchase date and it is unchangeable in the software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:25 pm 

Tybee Bill wrote:
Okay. If I rate it, will it show up in my database as owned or rated or what?

It's all visual.
When you own a movie, its title is underlined.
When you rate a movie, the smiley icon appears next to its title.

Only the smiley icon => you've seen the movie but don't own it.
Only the underlined title => you still haven't seen the movie, though you own a video of it.
Both underline and smiley icon => you both own and have watched.

(remember that for the moment, you can only rate movies, and not videos)

Very soon, I'll add rating for videos too. There'll be an overall rating, a rating for the image quality, a rating for the sound quality, a rating for the extras (bonuses), and a rating for the packaging. Like the movies, it'll be highly recommanded to rate a video that you've watched.

Now there's the case where you want to know if you've watched or not yet this very video that you've bought. I have told you that I'll add a watched history to the movies. I'll also add a watched history to the videos. Of course, this information will go up: if you say that you watched a video 2 times, it'll be automatically added to the movie history.

Tybee Bill wrote:
I enter DVD's at the time of purchase and sometimes don't watch right away or even rate.

The time of purchase is another field that will be added very soon. As well as where you bought, and how much you paid.

That's what I'm working on right now. I'm changing the database structure to add many new fields. Among other things, you'll be able to set tags, or price alerts, etc... etc...

It's not quite easy to describe, but I'm sure it'll make sense when you'll see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:07 pm 

Okay, I will rate every movie that I own and every movie that I watch.
This will give me the universe of movies that I have watched if I search for Rated.

However, I lose my alpha sort because they will default to rating order. To maintain a data set of owned and watched movies in alpha order, I would have to rate every movie the same. That would negate the value of ratings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:12 am 

Tybee Bill wrote:
To maintain a data set of owned and watched movies in alpha order

I don't understand why you're so obsessed about owned + watched. Simply list your owned movies, and if there's a smiley next to the title, it's a movie you've seen, otherwise you haven't seen it yet.

Or you'll have to wait for the "watch history" feature to be added. Then you'll be able to display alphabetically only your owned movies that you've watched at least once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:36 pm 

I don't know if obsessed is the proper word. I was merely trying to help you add some value to your product.
Having a list of all movies watched, regardless of owned or just rented is more valuable to me then a list of just owned.
I can do a workaround that will acomplish my needs.
I though that by posting to the forum, there would be others that would like the feature and post their support.

In the future I will try to keep my weirdness to myself.

I own a financial database company and am very anal retentive about data.

My goal would be to see you develope your program into a slick commodity that you could sell. Like adding links not just to retailers of movies but online rental services.

I rented two movies today and bought one. I would like you to be positioned to follow that industry trend, if it truly is one.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:27 pm 

Tybee Bill wrote:
I don't know if obsessed is the proper word.

In the future I will try to keep my weirdness to myself.

Sorry if you thought I was attacking you. I wasn't at all. Please forgive my bad communication. I simply had a hard time figuring out what the heck you wanted.

Tybee Bill wrote:
Having a list of all movies watched, regardless of owned or just rented is more valuable to me then a list of just owned.

This time, I finally understood, and you're right, it's a good idea.

Users should have the possibility to order alphabetically their rated movies, if so they wish. Currently, when you set the "rated" filter, they're by default in rating order.

What I could do is add a new option to the rating filter. Something like this:

- rated or not -
rated (alphabetical order)
rated (rating order)
positively rated
negatively rated
excellent
very good

What do you think ?

Tybee Bill wrote:
My goal would be to see you develope your program into a slick commodity that you could sell. Like adding links not just to retailers of movies but online rental services.

Unfortunately, rental services don't offer an affiliate program. Maybe someday I'll add some NetFlix functionalities to Coollector. But I won't make any money from it. Only the users will gain something.

One thing that I plan to add, and for which there are affiliate programs, is the market of used videos (Ebay, Amazon marketplace).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:40 pm 

Having rated in alpha order would allow us users to see a list that we can browse of all owned and rated movies, provided that we rate every movie that we own.
I think your intention was that an owner should rate every movie that he owns, so I will do that.

With regard to linking to rental sites. there should be some type of shopping bot that could direct a user to a site that has the movie for rent. Not every movie can be rented so it would be nice to know which ones are out there. Unfortunately you would need a lot of web traffic to make any money on web hits.
I guess the ultimate goal is to have your site so hot that people will donate lots of money or pay for it.
Never take your eyes off of the prise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:23 am 

Tybee Bill wrote:
Having rated in alpha order would allow us users to see a list that we can browse of all owned and rated movies, provided that we rate every movie that we own.

Exactly. It's already possible, except the movies are ordered by rating. Personally, I prefer it when they're ordered by rating, but I will add an option to order them alphabetically if the user prefers it like that.

Tybee Bill wrote:
I think your intention was that an owner should rate every movie that he owns, so I will do that.

Everybody is free to use the program as they want. But if you rate all the movies you've seen, you'll get the most out of Coollector. As I said, it's a precious information when you look at a person's filmography. At a glance you visualize if it's a good or a bad director, etc...

The movies you own are the movies you like (normally). But you'll realize that it's equally important to track the movies you don't like.

Tybee Bill wrote:
Unfortunately you would need a lot of web traffic to make any money on web hits..
I guess the ultimate goal is to have your site so hot that people will donate lots of money or pay for it.

Coollector is a program, not a website. There's no ads. We don't ask for donations. We don't sell it, we give it away.

The only part of Coollector that generates some revenue is our included shopping tool, when the stores give us a small commission on your purchase (it's called affiliation, and you don't pay anything more than the regular price). If you never use the shopping part of Coollector, we won't make any money from you. But that's okay, we're glad that you appreciate the other features of Coollector.

As I said, we don't ask for donations. Our strategy is to make the shopping tool really really useful. Compellingly useful. And you'll use it not to help us, but because it helps you. There are many ways we can improve it (more stores, from more countries, price alerts, used videos, maybe rentals, etc...). For the moment, there are other parts of the program that need to be improved first, but we'll go back to the shopping tool as soon as possible.