It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Sharing the Same Database
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:10 am 

I've been using Coollector for several years. I'd like to also set it up on my wife's Mac so that we share the same database...how do I do that? Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Sharing the Same Database
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:20 am 

All your personal data (ratings, owned videos, etc...) is stored inside the coollection file:

https://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

It's the only file that you need to copy to your wife's computer.

When you launch the app, it opens the coollection file from the default location, but you could also have a coollection file anywhere you want and you'll read it by double-clicking it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:50 pm 

So that we can share the same database, wouldn't the Coollector folder have to be in shared location such as iCloud Drive or OneDrive? If so, how do I get Coollector to point to that folder once it's moved? Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:13 pm 

Desert Rat wrote:
So that we can share the same database, wouldn't the Coollector folder have to be in shared location such as iCloud Drive or OneDrive?

It'll work if you place the coollection file on a shared location somewhere on your local network, for example on a NAS, or in a folder from one computer that the other computer has access to. I know several users who are doing that successfully.

But unfortunately I doubt it'll work with an online storage like iCloud Drive or OneDrive. I could be wrong, never tried it...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:49 pm 

If I want to try putting Coollector on a shared iCloud drive, do I just move the entire folder from the Movies Mac folder to the drive; and if so, how do I get the app to point to the new location?

Much thanx,

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:20 pm 

The same way double clicking a .txt file will open it with your default text editor, if you have Coollector installed on your computer you can open a .cool file by double clicking it.

I've never tested with online drives, so I don't know if it'll work.

You should try by testing on your physical drive... You copy the coollection file somewhere and double click it (Coollector has to be closed when you do that because there can be only one instance of Coollector running at a time).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:30 pm 

I know nothing about drives in the cloud. Is it possible to open a .txt and edit it as if it was on your hard disk? If that's the case, it might work with Coollector.

FYI: Coollector has a safety to avoid corruption when several persons access the same coollection file from different computers. If you want to make changes but someone has already made changes before you, the app will detect it and ask to update the coollection file before doing any change to it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:55 pm 

We use both OneDrive and iCloud Drive to share files and folders, all editable. But I tried putting the Coollector folder into each drive and in both cases Coollector doesn't find it, and I don't know how to point Coollector to it.

We want to share the same Coollector database to which each of us and add or delete "Wished" films.

Also, I've made another contribution...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:23 pm 

Desert Rat wrote:
I tried putting the Coollector folder into each drive and in both cases Coollector doesn't find it

It's not a whole folder that you have to put into the drive, it's only the coollection file "MyCoollection.cool". To locate that file, you can use the menu "Help->Locate the coollection file".

Please try on your computer first... Copy the coollection file on your desktop and double click it to check that it opens Coollector (don't forget to have closed Coollector before doing that).

If it works fine with the file on your desktop, then you'll make the test with the file on your cloud drive ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:29 pm 

If I move just the ".cool" file to a shared drive, it works. BUT, if I open the Coollector app, it doesn't find the database. So, in order to open Coollector correctly, I just have to double-click the .cool file -- certinly easy to do.

I then tested it on my wife's MAC, and it works just the same way, so now we can share the database..

Question: what do I do with the Coollector folder, which has other files in it? Just leave it alone or delete?

Thank you for all your help, and patience.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:20 pm 

Desert Rat wrote:
if I open the Coollector app, it doesn't find the database. So, in order to open Coollector correctly, I just have to double-click the .cool file

Exactly, if you launch the app, it'll open the default coollection file, as explained here:

https://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

It's the default behaviour that satisfies the majority of users who don't want to bother with files location.

Only advanced users put their coollection file in another location. They have to double-click it to open it.

Desert Rat wrote:
I then tested it on my wife's MAC, and it works just the same way, so now we can share the database..

Cool! :w00t:

Desert Rat wrote:
Question: what do I do with the Coollector folder, which has other files in it? Just leave it alone or delete?

Leave it alone of course!

The folder contains all the other files that the app needs to run (the movie database, the pictures, etc...).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:19 pm 

So I'll just leave the folder where it is and use the ".cool" to open the app. That'll work.