It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Coollector Community
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:25 pm 

Just wondering, how big is the Coollector community? How many active users have installed the software currwntly?

Play Store: [COMING_SOON]

Post subject: Re: Coollector Community
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:38 pm 

I don't track user activity.

All I know is the community is too small for me to make a living from the app (forced to have another job).

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:40 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I don't track user activity.

All I know is the community is too small for me to make a living from the app (forced to have another job).

Well, what about revamping the UI of the software?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:06 pm 

Abubakar Siddique wrote:
That's what I'm currently working on. ;)

It's not a complete revamping because I won't take away anything to anyone who likes the app the way it is.

But the evolution I'm working on is a game changer. The usefulness and ease of use of the app will increase tenfold!

It's a race between all the work that is needed and the little time that I have. Hopefully I'll win that race before the end of the year...

I couldn't be more excited, Coollector will finally make a splash!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:14 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Abubakar Siddique wrote:
That's what I'm currently working on. ;)

It's not a complete revamping because I won't take away anything to anyone who likes the app the way it is.

But the evolution I'm working on is literally a game changer. The usefulness and ease of use of the app will increase 10x!

It's a race between all the work that is needed and the little time that I have. Hopefully I'll win that race before the end of the year...

I've never been more excited, Coollector didn't say its last word!

Will be waiting for the v5.

For the users who still wants the UI as it is, maintain a separate version. Call it as a legacy version.

Just like Free Download Manager does. They have a main app 50mb around and also have an older version app of 5mb with older UI look.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:21 pm 

Abubakar Siddique wrote:

I don't know yet if I'll increase the version number. If I do, it'll be free for the current users (like I've always done).

Abubakar Siddique wrote:
For the users who still wants the UI as it is, maintain a separate version.

Won't be needed, it's an evolution. To be precise, it's a (r)evolution.

What you don't like about the current interface? What would you change about it that can't be done with a skin?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:42 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Abubakar Siddique wrote:

I don't know yet if I'll increase the version number. If I do, it'll be free for the current users (like I've always done).

Abubakar Siddique wrote:
For the users who still wants the UI as it is, maintain a separate version.

Won't be needed, it's an evolution. To be precise, it's a (r)evolution.

What you don't like about the current interface? What would you change about it that can't be done with a skin?

The current interface uses the older UI components of Windows. And While skinning, some of the UI elements wont be able to color (
Attachment:
File comment: Image 1
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 5231 times ]
)

Some samples of Updated UI designs of Windows:
Attachment:
File comment: Notepad
Notepad.jpg
Notepad.jpg [ 33.69 KiB | Viewed 5231 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Explorer
Explorer.jpg
Explorer.jpg [ 176.64 KiB | Viewed 5231 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 3:08 pm 

Maybe I'm mistaking, but there's no such thing as "older UI components of Windows" or "Updated UI designs of Windows".

You just appear to be using a dark theme.

Coollector supports dark mode on Mac, but it's true that it doesn't support it on Windows because Microsoft made it a hell to support. For a small developper like me, it's unfortunately not worth the trouble, I have better things to do than hack my way through Windows half-baked dark mode. I'll do it the day when Microsoft will offer a decent dark mode support to developers.

https://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=47110
"Given the lack of support/guidance microsoft has given for darkmode with WinAPI, I think developers can only do what they feel is best for their application."

https://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=45869
"Just look at how even Microsoft people struggle making just a window frame work as expected in dark mode"

Only big apps support dark mode on Windows, and they succeed to do it by using weird and complex hacks. I've tried and... given up :worried:

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 3:41 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Maybe I'm mistaking, but there's no such thing as "older UI components of Windows" or "Updated UI designs of Windows".

You just appear to be using a dark theme.

Coollector supports dark mode on Mac, but it's true that it doesn't support it on Windows because Microsoft made it a hell to support. For a small developper like me, it's unfortunately not worth the trouble, I have better things to do than hack my way through Windows half-baked dark mode. I'll do it the day when Microsoft will offer a decent dark mode support to developers.

https://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=47110
"Given the lack of support/guidance microsoft has given for darkmode with WinAPI, I think developers can only do what they feel is best for their application."

https://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?t=45869
"Just look at how even Microsoft people struggle making just a window frame work as expected in dark mode"

Only big apps support dark mode on Windows, and they succeed to do it by using weird and complex hacks. I've tried and... given up :worried:

Well you can look up "WinUI 3" Link : https://microsoft.github.io/microsoft-u ... nui#modern

This might help you too to understand what UI look I am talking about : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/apps/design/

Also the difference between the old UI and new UI is below... for example check the options menu

OLD UI
Attachment:
File comment: Old UI
notepad_3.png
notepad_3.png [ 31.65 KiB | Viewed 5230 times ]

NEW UI
Attachment:
File comment: New UI
Screenshot 2022-05-07 190756.png
Screenshot 2022-05-07 190756.png [ 17.38 KiB | Viewed 5230 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 3:49 pm 

Coollector is built with wxWidgets, and it doesn't look like wxWidgets has any plan to support WinUI 3...

I won't rebuild the app from scratch just to support WinUI 3 :down:

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 4:14 pm 

Anyway, when I asked you what you would change about Coollector, I didn't mean small aesthetical differences, I rather meant what are your issues with more fundamental design things like ergonomy, structure, layout, etc...

Not everybody has the same tastes or share the same opinion about aesthetics and how things should look like. For example I'm personally not much impressed by the WinUI3 that you've showed me.

That's the reason why I prefer to go the skin road where everybody chooses the colors and fonts he prefers and nobody will judge you if you choose khaki and muddy brown :D

Instead of implementing WinUI3 that would please only a fraction of the users, I think it'd be more effective to improve the current skin system and especially add more nice looking skins, because many of the ones we currently have are not great and could easily be better.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 4:27 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Anyway, when I asked you what you would change about Coollector, I didn't mean small aesthetical differences, I rather meant what are your issues with more fundamental design things like ergonomy, structure, layout, etc...

Not everybody has the same tastes or share the same opinion about aesthetics and how things should look like. For example I'm personally not much impressed by the WinUI3 that you've showed me.

That's the reason why I prefer to go the skin road where everybody chooses the colors and fonts he prefers and nobody will judge you if you choose khaki with muddy brown :D

Instead of implementing WinUI3 that would please only a fraction of the users, I think it'd be more effective to improve the current skin system and especially add more nice looking skins, because many of the ones we currently have are low quality and could easily be better.

If you want to stick with the Skinning option then I would suggest you to make those areas which doesnt have now

The marked areas:

Attachment:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 5228 times ]

PS: I will make skins for it soon enough if you like.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 4:50 pm 

Abubakar Siddique wrote:
The marked areas

The title bar and the buttons are drawned by Windows. The other parts I can make them look any way I want.

Abubakar Siddique wrote:

That's a generous offer but don't bother... I've had a look at the skin editor and it seriously needs improvement. It's counter intuitive and have many bugs.

Also there'll soon be a change about how the text size is managed. Instead of being a skin adjustment, there'll be plus & minus icons to globally increase/decrease the size of the text. Much more user friendly! Some people have a bad sight and it'll be easy for them to for example double the size of the text everywhere in the app. No more need to edit all the font sizes of the skin, it'll now take a few clicks, that's all.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 4:55 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Abubakar Siddique wrote:
The marked areas

The title bar and the buttons are drawned by Windows. The other parts I can make them look any way I want.

Abubakar Siddique wrote:

That's a generous offer but don't bother... I've had a look at the skin editor and it seriously needs improvement. It's counter intuitive and have many bugs.

Also there'll soon be a change about how the text size is managed. Instead of being a skin adjustment, there'll be plus & minus icons to globally increase/decrease the size of the text. Much more user friendly! Some people have a bad sight and it'll be easy for them to for example double the size of the text everywhere in the app. No more need to edit all the font sizes of the skin, it'll now take a few clicks, that's all.

Great to know that.