It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: IMDB Number in Output
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:10 am 

Can you add the movie's IMDB number in the detailed info about the movie?
That comes as close as anything does to a serial number/tracking number.
In fact, the best think would be to include the IMDB Link (URL) in the movie data.

And ideally the Wikipeda entry URL if it exists.

And what would be VERY useful was to add in any awards that the movie has recieved.
You can mine that from the Wikipedia site: all this is done t the same format, so it wouldn't be so hard to get that.

And even add in the Budget, and Earnings.

And then allow these to be used in the Search for movies.
It gives an indication to how popular the movie is/was.

In fact, I don't see why you cannot have the entire IMDB list of movies entered in?

Post subject: Re: IMDB Number in Output
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:03 am 

WarthogARJ wrote:
In fact, the best think would be to include the IMDB Link (URL) in the movie data.

There's already a direct link to the IMDb, simply click the IMDb icon:

https://www.coollector.com/help.html#dashboard

You can also search a movie by its IMDb Id by pasting that Id into the app, for example tt1375666.

WarthogARJ wrote:
And ideally the Wikipeda entry URL if it exists.

Sorry, I don't plan to do that.

WarthogARJ wrote:
And what would be VERY useful was to add in any awards that the movie has recieved.

I plan to add awards, but in a distant future. Don't hold your breath, I have much higher priorities. In fact, it's quite possible that I'll change my mind... Personally I couldn't care less about awards, and I don't seem to be alone as the ratings of the Academy Awards are historically low.

WarthogARJ wrote:
And even add in the Budget, and Earnings.

Sorry, I don't plan to do that.

WarthogARJ wrote:
In fact, I don't see why you cannot have the entire IMDB list of movies entered in?

To begin with, the IMDb data is the property of the IMDb. It costs a fortune to licence a fraction of it, it's not even possible to licence the whole of it. For Coollector I have to maintain my own database.

Also remember that Coollector isn't a website, it's an app. When you download the app, you download the whole database with it. This makes the app very reactive when you browse the database, make complex searches, or scan your files, and you can use it even when you're offline. To avoid the database to become too big, we include only what we consider the most essential information. The purpose of this app is very different from the IMDb. We don't try to replace the IMDb, the IMDb is fine as a reference movie database. We're more focused on personalization: keeping track of what you've watched, what DVDs you own, what files you have, getting recommendations based on your tastes, deciding what to watch on the streaming services you have (more services will be supported soon).

Our interface will soon get an upgrade. Hopefully it'll make it clearer how Coollector stands apart and how useful it is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:03 am 

Hi Hector,
Thanks for the detailed reply.

In terms of the awards a movie has, as well as how much it earned, I see those as just another way to search for a potentially interesting movie.
Just as you might search for it using actor/actress, director etc.

As far as direct use of the IMDB Database, sure, I can see how they try to control direct use of it.
But one can download most of it from their own website in archived lists: as a tar of the data in csv format: I did that.

And then who is to know if that information magically appears on Coollector's database?

After all, who owns the copyright for most of the photos on it?
As in those contributed by the users.
They've just taken them from the movie, or wikipedia, or IMDB without actually requesting permission.
It's a minor sin, and I cannot see any legal action be8ng taken: after all, it doesn't cause any damsage, and in fact promotes the various movies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:17 am 

Coollector isn't an individual doing whatever he wants locally on his computer. It's a registered company, and there's something called a "cease and desist letter" that I never want to receive.

The IMDb is owned by Amazon, a behemoth. If they target me legally, Coollector is dead, plain and simple. Even if I were right as you say (clearly I would be wrong), I wouldn't have the financial resource to defend myself.