It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: What else I would like in Coollector!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:54 pm 

Dear Hector,

Great program, Some of the additions I would like for Coollector are the following; Ability to add to the genre list more personal genres, the ability to print out the collection list for insurance purposes, and or so that you can take the list to the store, incase you cant remember all your collection ( I know I cant), and MOST important the ability to MANUALLY add movies to the program, I have noticed that CD Universe does not include all their movies on their for sale site to the list provided with your program. This would make your program the Cats Meow :hi: untill then I'll continue to use your valuable program, hoping you can include my suggestions1

Thanks for a great program! WG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:48 am 

Hi WG, welcome on the forum and thank you for your support !

New genres: I won't add new genres, but I will add tags (can't say when). You'll be able to tag a movie or a person with as many personal tags as you want, and the criterion search will allow searching tags.

print out the collection: other things are more urgents, but when I'll add it, here is how it'll work. There will be a "print" button in the criterion search, to print the current results (you'll easily print your coollection, or the movies you loaned, or your wishlist, or whatever...). What format would you like ? Just a simple list ?

MANUALLY add movies: I'm afraid it won't be possible until at least 3 months, sorry. Because my most urgent and important task is to create my own movies database, which will be more complete than CDuniverse catalog, and to which you'll be able to contribute movies.

Post subject: Waiting for the great revisions!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:17 am 

(Cool) Hector,

For the printing simple format is fine, I'm sure other folks will have some better ideas,, And I cant wait untill the Manual Movie insert version comes out. Good luck with your database, as my collection of over 500 DVDs and VHS videos, has always been a hassal until your program came along, now atleast I can make sense of all these videos. What really is great is your program tells you with a counter how many DVDs you have.

Just a really great program, and can only figure you'll come out with some really great improvements with your baby!
WG :D

Post subject: Re: Waiting for the great revisions!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:24 am 

wg55 wrote:
And I cant wait untill the Manual Movie insert version comes out.

Out of curiosity, how many movies you miss in the current database ? Can you give me some titles ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:21 am 

(COOL) Hector,

About 40 so far, some of the movies are from around the 1990's and even some packs: Clearcut 1992,Ghost of the Abyss,The Da Vivci Files,Lassie,Lassies gift of love a pack movie. Not a big deal, I'll just wait untill you add this feature to your program, then I'll post them all.

WG :ok:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:35 am 

Your coollection is/will be split into several sections: movies, series, documentaries, sexy movies, musics, books, games, etc...

Currently, only the movies database is available. It's a start.
The movies database contains only movies. I have filtered out everything else.

"Clearcut" is missing indeed.
"Ghosts of the Abyss" and "The Da Vinci Files" will be in the documentaries database.
"Lassie's gift of love" will be in the series database.

It's a deliberate choice. I hope you will agree that your collection is better organized if a Kubrick movie isn't next to a Jane Fonda aerobic session, a DragonBall Z episode, etc... Also, persons not interested in documentaries won't have to download the documentaries database.

Post subject: Intro & "Find"
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:28 pm 

Greetings everyone...I'm an "old guy" in the USA (Fla.) with Approx. 300 movies - piled, stacked, racked & filed. :shock: I'm a "recuit" from the GOTD forum where I "met" Hector. I am greatful to find this free resource after seeking one for too long. Thanks !
While I was searching for another game, I came accross an open source software site today. I haven't tried it yet; but, I think Hector might find it useful.
www.antp.be/software/moviecatalog
Since I don't know much about programing, I'll leave that to the experts. I just hope all these "time-saving" programs finally add up to giveing me a total of more time ! :D
Only 279 days until Christmas and Spring is almost here...
Have a good day - today ! :hi:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:47 pm 

Hi lwbjag,

AMC is free and open source, but you can't imagine us working together. We are somehow "competitors". We use very different programming languages (Delphi vs. C++). Concepts and program interface are also very different.

Anyway, feel free to tell me what feature(s) from AMC you'd like Coollector to have...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:32 am 

Hello there Hector,
I've only tried it using 2 DVDs, Men in Black 1 & 2. I had to use different sources for correct cover art to match what I have. (IMDB & Allmovie.com). I liked the "Movie Review" in comments and auto movie running times. Neither included "extra features" discriptions or fields to enter them. I don't wish to pass hasty judgment on either program. At present I prefer the "feel" of your Coollector. Time will tell ... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:41 am 

Yes, it would be nice to write your own personal review to movies / persons. I've added it to my todo list, thank you!

Post subject: Just Echoing previous thoughts...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:28 pm 

Coolector is a great program. The kind of slick, easy to use database I have been looking for for years (homemade spreadsheets and access just don't cut it :P ).
As you have just done the update you have been prioritising (nice touch, the price lookup - although UK stores and £ would suit me better :D ), hoping you might be starting on a print/export of a coolection.
I personally feel an export into a csv file with as many fields as possible from my coolection would be perfect (perhaps a user selectable list of fields??). Print to html or pfd would be good options too. I actually started using this program because I wanted to print a list of films for a mate (not on the interweb yet) and felt quite despaired when I realised I could not do that.

Think you are doing a great job with this program, I understand it is a new piece of software which will take time to build (especially as it is free!!! 8) - if only more software was :cry: ) Good work.

Post subject: Re: Just Echoing previous thoughts...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:00 pm 

Wow! You're the one for me, Fatty! (©Morrissey)

Thank you very much, I'm glad that you appreciate my work :D

Fatty wrote:
nice touch, the price lookup - although UK stores and £ would suit me better :D )

That will come later 8) (until then, you can adjust the settings to not display prices)

Fatty wrote:
I actually started using this program because I wanted to print a list of films for a mate (not on the interweb yet) and felt quite despaired when I realised I could not do that.

I needed a little break, because the previous release got a little on my nerves.
Now I'm ready to add a simple printing feature ! Should be ready before the end of the week-end, because it will be very basic: just generates a text file that you can edit/print.
I'll wait to elaborate on this (html, xml) until the program includes images...

Have a great week-end !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:44 am 

That's it, I've added a rudimentary printing feature !

How it works: the criterion search now has a print button that generates a text file (which you can edit/print) with all the results. You can choose the name of the text file. The text file will be saved in the Coollector directory.

I hope it will satisfy you for the moment :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:32 am 

Nice one Hector,

I had a great weekend, cheers. I installed your update last night and printed my list a text file. Covered my needs exactly.

I like the way this program is shaping, time to go catalogue my DivX's...

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:01 pm 

What about adding "Borat"? or any other of the numerous new DVDs since March that haven't been added. And could you expand the entry on "El Topo"? it's ridiculously short! It's an amazing, breathtaking movie, and all i get is the name and year!
And adding your own movies.