It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: property, rights and fair use
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:59 am 

when i used the program online for the first time, those circles in the center were spinning wildly and many were changing to pictures. just wondering, whose services are being used to acquire these pictures?

are there potential objections by persons or movie producers if we upload video snapshots or dvd cover scans?

finally, some of the movies in the encyclopedia have nothing but just the title, maybe a dvd cover. what are the ways to add some semblance of a cast to those titles? in the same vein, are there ways to modify some titles that are missing some key players in the cast listing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:59 pm 

The pictures are hosted on our own servers. Most of them were gathered from our partners, Amazon and CDuniverse. Those companies grant us access to their data, and in exchange we try to send them as many customers as we can. It's called affiliation, and they even pay us a small percentage for each sale we generate.

Your concerns are well legitimate, because we all know that sometimes, free can rhyme with illegal.
But worry not, everything we do is absolutely legal. We're a serious company, and we're proud to have found an economical model that is both legal and allow us to provide a completely free service to our customers.

Now, about the movies that don't have any cast: we are aware of it and are working on fixing it. We considered that it was better to have a skeleton of a movie rather than to have nothing at all. At least, users can add the movie to their coollection, even if the cast information will be added at a later time. We estimate that it will take us 3 months to complete the information for all our movies.

On the other hand, if you find a non-empty cast with an important person missing, you're welcome to report in the "errors" forum, and we'll fix it in the next update.

Post subject: missing cast
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:12 am 

thanks for the reply!

i recalled seeing a title where the synopsis mentioned the key characters and players, but the key players weren't listed above the synopsis. when i run across it again, i'll post.