It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: re: backup.cool
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:54 pm 

hello.

after the recent upgrade, program hung and had to end task via task manager. as a result, the rated persons list was corrupted. several attempts to run 2.41 ended up hanging, not crashing.

uninstalled 2.41 to reinstall 2.40. bad move. all the pictures were gone. i had backups of the database and images. copying them to the programdata folder didn't help.

running the uncorrupted backup.cool file returned the rated and wished list, but no pictures. so i went online and ran the program to rebuild the images database. once the folders were created by the program, i tried copying the backup images database to the appropriate folders. i think that worked. the update button also updated the program to 2.41. the program still occasionally hang, but with no corruption.

the problem: when i run the program via the shortcut, i start with a fresh, clean database with images, but no lists.
only when i run the uncorrupted backup.cool file is every thing normal (except for the program hanging or crashing).

somehow, all the program session activities are saved to the backup file and no new, current file is created. nor is a new backup file created. where should i relocate the uncorrupted backup.cool file so when i use the program shortcut that file will be used?

Post subject: Re: re: backup.cool
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:36 pm 

gigagiggles wrote:
uninstalled 2.41 to reinstall 2.40. bad move. all the pictures were gone.

Yes, when you uninstall, all the pictures are removed from your computer. Everything is removed, except your personal data (the .cool files and their backups).

gigagiggles wrote:
i went online and ran the program to rebuild the images database. once the folders were created by the program, i tried copying the backup images database to the appropriate folders. i think that worked.

There's no reason why it wouldn't work. Probably the first time you made some mistake with the folders names.

gigagiggles wrote:
the problem: when i run the program via the shortcut, i start with a fresh, clean database with images, but no lists.
only when i run the uncorrupted backup.cool file is every thing normal.

When you double-click a .cool file, the program Coollector.exe is launched to read this very .cool file.

But when you launch Coollector.exe directly without specifying any .cool file, it's the default coollection file which is read (or created if it doesn't exist).

The default coollection file is "My Documents\Coollector\MyCoollection.cool".

gigagiggles wrote:
somehow, all the program session activities are saved to the backup file and no new, current file is created. nor is a new backup file created. where should i relocate the uncorrupted backup.cool file so when i use the program shortcut that file will be used?

You must replace the default coollection file with your backup:

1) delete the default coollection file
2) copy the backup to "My Documents\Coollector"
3) rename the file "MyCoollection.cool"

gigagiggles wrote:
(except for the program hanging or crashing).

About the hanging, I have made some changes to the next version that I hope will improve things.

About the crashing, I don't know, you'll have to give me more information. When does it happen ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:01 am 

"About the crashing, I don't know, you'll have to give me more information. When does it happen ?"

it's the same old. same old: either stackhash.dll or ntdll.

if i'm not mistaken, your program sends out a search for info to update whatever is currently front and center, regardless of whether program user is online or not. i think when i page through either too fast, too long or too often, the counters don't jive and the crash occurs.

on another note, there are some jpegs in the database that are not handle-able. while scrolling through a section of persons or movies in the main program, error messages appear about the inability to handle/process such images. it's not a hang or crash, but the error message has to be acknowledged, sometimes in succession. no specifics as to which jpeg image is un-handle-able.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:46 am 

gigagiggles wrote:
if i'm not mistaken, your program sends out a search for info to update whatever is currently front and center

Only if the needed picture isn't available on your hard drive.

Also, the program keeps a list of the pictures that couldn't be downloaded (because they don't exist on our server at all), and if it stumbles again on one of them during the session, it doesn't even try to download.

gigagiggles wrote:
regardless of whether program user is online or not.

The first thing the program tries to download from our server is a list of the pictures that were recently modified. When you browse to a picture already on your hard drive but listed as recently modified, the picture is updated. It's not a perfect solution, it's only meant for the users who contributed a better picture to immediatly see the result.

As long as this list of modified pictures could not be downloaded on any of our servers, the program considers that it is working offline, but keeps trying to download the list to detect if you went online.

I need to make some tests to ensure that the working offline doesn't have any issues.

gigagiggles wrote:
i think when i page through either too fast, too long or too often, the counters don't jive and the crash occurs.

There was indeed a bug that could crash the program when you page too fast, but it was fixed a few versions ago. And with the next version of Coollector, I have made a few other changes that I hope will completely fix the remaining issues.

gigagiggles wrote:
on another note, there are some jpegs in the database that are not handle-able.

A rather long time ago, we had some jpegs that were not jpegs. We have cleaned them from our servers, but apparently you still have them on your hard disk. I'll try to modify the program to avoid those errors.

Thank you very much for reporting if you still have problems with the next version of Coollector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:50 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Thank you very much for reporting if you still have problems with the next version of Coollector.

I think version 2.42 fixes all the bugs. Please tell me if I'm wrong...

Thank you very much for your useful feedback !