It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Run Coollector from XP Limited Account
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:07 am 

I am trying to run Coollector from a Limited Account on Windows XP Professional box without having to use the "Run As..." feature and open it as an adminstrator.

I originally installed Coollector using an Adminstrator Account and it runs fine under that user id.

When I tried to run Coollector from the Limited Account on the machine it starts but Windows gave me an error that said I didn't have access to the following file:

Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Coollector\Images\MoviesDpt\0

It also did not load the Mycoollection.cool local database (200+ movies already added).

So I set permissions on the Coollector folder in that directory so that the Limited Account has Full Control.

That fixed the error message but it is still not loading Mycoollection.cool.

Permissions are set so that the Limited Account has Full Control for every Coollector folder I can find on the C: drive including Program Files\Common Files\Coollector but Coollector still can't open the local Mycoollection.cool db.

Has anyone tested Coollector from a Limited (non-admin) account on XP?

This is for a HTPC and I want to have an account that little movie watchers can do the least amount of damage with. :-)

Regards,
~KnoWei

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:48 am 

I made the test and you're absolutely right: a limited account can read the folder "Documents and Settings\All Users\" but it can't write to it. I wasn't aware of this problem, and it's very troublesome.

I thought "All Users" was the right place to store the pictures for all the users, but if it's not, I don't know what to do... I will make some research. If somebody can help me, I'll appreciate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:03 am 

The folder that seems to work is "Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents". This folder appears as "Shared Documents" under a limited account, and can be read & written.

I'll test with Vista to see if it works too, and if it does, I'll modify Coollector to use that folder instead, and move all the pictures from the other folder.

I don't have time to do it for version 2.45, but hopefully for the version after.

Thank you very much for reporting this problem !

Last edited by (cool) Hector on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:08 am 

KnoWei wrote:
It also did not load the Mycoollection.cool local database

If you want to share your coollection file between several users, the file has to be in a place accessible to all those users. To read that file, each users will have to double-click the file, because launching Coollector would read the default coollection (which is different for each user). Remember that it's a good idea to create a shortcut on the desktop.

Post subject: Re: Run Coollector from XP Limited Account
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:41 am 

KnoWei wrote:
This is for a HTPC

You plan to use Coollector with your TV and a remote ?

I'd be very interested to have more details about the solution you're building.

Don't hesitate to ask me if there's something I can do to improve the use through a remote.

And when the feature of playing files on your computer will be added, it sure will be great :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:40 am 

I've just released v2.45 that works fine even on limited accounts.

Pictures are now stored inside "Shared Documents" under XP, or "Public" under Vista. Those folders can be read AND written by all the users.

If you want to share a coollection file between all the users, that's where you should save it. Instead of having a shortcut to the program, you'll have to use a shortcut to the coollection itself.

And it's safe ! When you make some changes (rate a movie, add a video, etc...), the program first checks that no other user has made changes before you. If changes were made by another user, you get a message and those changes are loaded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:26 am 

Thanks (cool) Hector!

I've been away and just picked up the updates. I'll check them out in the next day or so.

Best Regards,
~KnoWei