Switch to full style
Discussions about Coollector.
Post a reply

Launch Video File - Local *.cool vs. Network *.cool

Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:28 am

Hi (Cool) Hector,

Thanks for adding the "Click to Play a Video File" feature. We are oh so close to perfection. :smile:

I'm getting different behavior depending on whether Coollector is using a local *.cool file or a network *.cool file (via shortcut).

This is on Windows XP Pro/SP3.
Here are the steps I'm going through.

Test 1 - Using Local MyCoollection.cool
1) Launch Coollector using the default desktop icon which opens the local MyCoollection.cool file.
2) Pick a movie from my DB.
3) Click on the play button to associate a file with the movie.
(I tested with video files from the local drive and the network drive.)
4) Roll-over the play button I get "Click to play Video File".
5) Click on play button and it shows me the associated files as well as an option to "associate a new video file".
6) Click on the file I want to play and it loads into the appropriate player for that player type. I can play both local and network files. I can select and play *.mp4, *.avi, or *.iso with no problems.

Test 2 - Using Network MyCoollection.cool
1) Launch Coollector using a shortcut to a network *.cool DB file which opens the network MyCoollection.cool file.
2) Pick a movie from the DB.
3) Click on the play button to associate a file with the movie.
(Again, associate local and network files with no problem).
4) Roll-over the play button I get "Click to play Video File".
5) Click on the play button - Coollector freezes. I have to force it closed.

Any ideas?

~KnoWei

Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:12 am

I made the test on my NAS drive and had no problem. Weird...

Did you make the test several times ?

With the same video file that worked when launched from the local *.cool ?

Please confirm, and I'll send you a special build of the program that'll trace what's happening before the crash.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:50 pm

(cool) Hector wrote:Did you make the test several times ?

Yes. Tried several times on two different machines. Logged in on the admin account each time.

(cool) Hector wrote:With the same video file that worked when launched from the local *.cool ?

Yes. Same video file in each test.

(cool) Hector wrote:Please confirm, and I'll send you a special build of the program that'll trace what's happening before the crash.

I'm happy to run a debug version whenever you can supply.

I did note in task manager that Coollector pegs the CPU when it hangs.

~KnoWei

Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:10 pm

KnoWei wrote:I'm happy to run a debug version whenever you can supply.

Thank you very much for your collaboration !

I have sent you a private message.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:40 pm

(cool) Hector wrote:Thank you very much for your collaboration !

I have sent you a private message.

I downloaded the trace build but have not run it yet. I took a second look at what I was doing and there is a slight difference in how I was using the local *.cool and the network *.cool. You can easily recreate the problem.

For my local *.cool I was using a new empty database. I did a string find for my test movie. I used the "play" button to associate a file on the network and a file on my local drive. That worked when I tried to play.

For my network *.cool I was using an existing database. I selected my test movie (already in my DB) and then used the "play" button to associate a file on the network and a file on my local drive. At this point the left pane in Coollector shows three movies in the "Owned" box.

1) one I had added before the upgrade using "from existing video" option.
2) one that was added by associating a network file and is labeled "iso" for a network iso file
3) one that was added by associating a local file and is labeled "avi" for a local avi file

In this case DVD 1 does not have a file associated with it. In this scenario Coollector hangs if you click on the play button.

If I edit the technical details for DVD 1 and add a file to the "location" box by typing in the path, then the play button will present me with three optons to play and everything works.

Also if I completely delete the entry for DVD 1 then the play button will present me with two options to play and everything works.

So the "bug" appears to be when you have multiple "Owned" copies and some have a file associated and some do not Coollector hangs. It is not related to the local vs. network *.cool. I can recreate the problem with a local or network *.cool.

HTH.

~KnoWei

Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:26 am

KnoWei, you're great ! I was able to reproduce the bug !

Now I can't keep my eyes open any longer, but tomorrow I'll kill that damn bug 8)

Thank you very much !

Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:10 am

(cool) Hector wrote:KnoWei, you're great !
Thanks. Coollector is my inspiration -- this feature really rounds out my HTPC feature/function. :D

(cool) Hector wrote:I was able to reproduce the bug !
Good news indeed!

(cool) Hector wrote:Now I can't keep my eyes open any longer, but tomorrow I'll kill that damn bug 8)
Between us I think we are following the sun... I'll user test when I see the release.

(cool) Hector wrote:Thank you very much !
You're welcome. Just my small contribution to your great product. :)

~KnoWei

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:22 am

The bug was very easy to fix :D

I'll update Coollector in a few days, but you can already download (and test) the fixed exe file:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector.exe

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:31 am

(cool) Hector wrote:I'll update Coollector in a few days, but you can already download (and test) the fixed exe file:

I gave it a quick test drive. Seems to be working perfectly! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks again for the quick turnaround.
~KnoWei

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:50 am

KnoWei wrote:Thanks again for the quick turnaround.

Thank YOU for your precious help !
Post a reply