It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Using the video file link for other things
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:15 pm 

First of all let me say a big thanks to Hector this is a top program. I have used for a few days only and wanted to add my own text to some movies - I finally figured out that you can use the associate to video file for a text file instead - for example 'A Touch of Evil' was re-edited in later versions using Orson Welles' detailed instructions - these are available on the web so I saved them to my HD and then used the associate file to point to them - now when i bring up the movie i just have a one click to Welles' notes should i want to refer to them - Just one thing - the first time i tried it i just used a junk test file but now i can't dis-associate this file - no big deal but is there a way to dis-associate files?

Post subject: Re: Using the video file link for other things
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:50 pm 

alphington wrote:
First of all let me say a big thanks to Hector this is a top program.

Thank you very much !

alphington wrote:
I finally figured out that you can use the associate to video file for a text file instead

That's a nice hack, thanks for sharing !

Coollector 3 will have a "personal notes" field, but it won't be ready until several months.

alphington wrote:
Just one thing - the first time i tried it i just used a junk test file but now i can't dis-associate this file - no big deal but is there a way to dis-associate files?

Yes of course. Files on your HDD also appear in the "owned videos" box. Select the file you want to remove and click the button "remove from owned", at the bottom right of the window.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:16 pm 

Quote:
Yes of course. Files on your HDD also appear in the "owned videos" box. Select the file you want to remove and click the button "remove from owned", at the bottom right of the window.

excellent - thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:49 am 

This is a great idea, alphington!

I've tried it with several file types and all seem to work. I can even open and browse folders on my drives.

The one thing I couldn't "open" though is a windows internet shortcut. If you could launch an associated shortcut then you could have links to external websites like the official movie website or fanclub website or a wiki for additional info on topics related to the movie (historical pages, scientific pages, weapons pages, etc).

How about it (cool) Hector? :D Could we launch an internet shortcut from the play button?

~KnoWei

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:26 am 

KnoWei wrote:
How about it (cool) Hector? :D Could we launch an internet shortcut from the play button?

I've had a look at it, and that don't seem easy. I'll make more tests tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:56 am 

thanks KnoWei i think your idea of linking to a wikipedia page is very good - i just tried pasting the web address in a Word Doc and pointed to that using the associate video file link - then another click and you're at the page - Hector will find a better way I'm sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:47 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I've had a look at it, and that don't seem easy. I'll make more tests tomorrow.

Don't knock yourself out for this. As alphington has pointed out we can get to links via other document types. A user could also point to a folder of shortcuts as well. So there is a viable work around for anyone who really wants to use the Play function in this manner.

~KnoWei

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:03 pm 

alphington wrote:
Hector will find a better way I'm sure

Yes and no...

No... I can't make your hack work with shortcuts, because the file chooser stubbornly refuses shortcuts, and I don't know what I can do about it.

Yes... I'll add a much better way: I'll create a "personal notes" field, where you'll write whatever you want about a movie, and inside of which internet links will be recognized and clickable (like in a mail).

Yes I'll add this feature, but only after I've released Coollector v3.0 (my current top priority), which is somewhere towards the end of the year.

I'm not sure if it's worth using this hack, because it's just a hack, not a real feature, and you'll have a hard time converting when the real feature is available. Your choice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:50 am 

thanks Hector the personal notes field will be very useful to me so I'll wait for that at the end of the year - for now i'll just link a very few things that i'll use. thanks again!