It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Locating Network Files Using Fixed IP vs. Drive Letters
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:28 pm 

Hi (cool)Hector,

Hope all is well.

I've been playing around with the play-from-HDD feature. It's been working great. Thank You Very Much! :clap:

When I started out I used drive letters for the path to my *.iso files which are images of my movies. My entry into the Coollector Location field looks like this: t:\movies2\mymovie.iso

I want to try and use the following format which is based on the IP address of the NAS.
//192.168.1.77/disk%202/movies2/mymovie.iso

(The funky "disk%202" is how Windows interprets "disk 2" indicating which disk on the NAS I'm accessing.)

Since the NAS IP address is static using the second type of string would allow me to avoid having to be consistent with drive letters across all the computers that access the movies from the network. I know this format works from Windows Vista32 and XP Pro as I have a number of non-Coollector related short cuts set-up to access other shares on these drives using the same type of string.

When I enter the IP based string into the Location field for a particular movie, Coollector doesn't recognize that a file is associated with the movie.

Not sure if this is "fixable". If it would take a lot of effort then don't worry about it. I'll just keep managing the drive letters across the various PCs I have using Coollector.

Keep up the great work.

~KnoWei

Post subject: Re: Locating Network Files Using Fixed IP vs. Drive Letters
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:05 pm 

KnoWei wrote:
using the second type of string would allow me to avoid having to be consistent with drive letters across all the computers that access the movies from the network.

I understand. Indeed, I had never thought about that.

KnoWei wrote:
When I enter the IP based string into the Location field for a particular movie, Coollector doesn't recognize that a file is associated with the movie.

Not sure if this is "fixable".

Seems very easy if I make the location field recognize a string beginning by "//" as being a movie.

Here is the result:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector.exe

I realize that the location field is currently not very convenient to edit.

I don't have the time right now, but tomorrow I'll add a hidden feature allowing to mass edit all the location fields.

You'll be able to replace "" by "/" and "t:" by "//192.168.1.77/disk%202".

Last edited by (cool) Hector on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:50 pm 

When you use the automatic scanning feature, what happens if you input "//192.168.1.77/disk%202" as the folder to be scanned ?

I can't test myself, but if there's a problem, it should be easy to fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:15 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
When you use the automatic scanning feature, what happens if you input "//192.168.1.77/disk%202" as the folder to be scanned ?

I can't test myself, but if there's a problem, it should be easy to fix.

Using the special exe you kindly provided...

Autoscan feature will scan the network location //192.168.1.76/disk 2/movies3 and adds all the movies. However it doesn't associate any files.

When I enter //192.168.1.76/disk 2/movies3/mymovie.iso in the location field the Play icon does not get larger. But when I close and reopen Coollector (still using the special exe) the play icon is larger indicating it knows there's a file path in the location field. However when I click on the play icon I only see the "associate a video file..." and "automatic: scan a folder..." options. There is no file location to click on.

So we are part way there. :-)

By the way. If this can be made to work I think it also allows the location field to have a URL in it since this essentially a local URL.

~KnoWei

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:34 pm 

KnoWei wrote:
However when I click on the play icon I only see the "associate a video file..." and "automatic: scan a folder..." options. There is no file location to click on.

Please have a look at the "owned videos" that were added, and see what location was recorded. If it's the string we wanted, it's really good news, and fixing the little problems should be easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:11 am 

Correction:
When I use Autoscan, Windows opens a Browse For Folder dialog box.

In that dialog box under My Network Places I can see the server names for the various NAS. In my case the NAS with IP address of 192.168.1.76 has a server name of Data1. So what I'm scanning is actually \\Data1\Disk 2\Movies3\.
I can't really scan //192.168.1.76/Disk 2/Movies3/ because Windows (or Coollector) doesn't give me that option.

Coollector does successfully import the movies to the Coollection. It tags the location field with:
\\Data1\Disk 2\Movies3\mymovie.iso
The movie file location does not appear under the Play icon.

As you can see the slashes are backward like a normal file path. This would work for me instead of using the IP address and forward slashes since the server name of each NAS is static as well.

Although all things being equal I'd like to be able to use the //192.168.1.76/... approach. :D

~KnoWei

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:22 am 

KnoWei wrote:
I can't really scan //192.168.1.76/Disk 2/Movies3/ because Windows (or Coollector) doesn't give me that option.

Instead of picking up a folder, you should input "//192.168.1.76/Disk 2/Movies3/" inside the folder name field. I can do it on my computer running Windows XP. Can't you ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:41 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Instead of picking up a folder, you should input "//192.168.1.76/Disk 2/Movies3/" inside the folder name field. I can do it on my computer running Windows XP. Can't you ?

I can type it in but it actually scans whatever is highlighted in the folder list. If I select something that has no movies then nothing happens. If I select a folder with movies then it scans that. I don't see a way to avoid selecting something in the dialog box window.

Just to make sure we are looking at the same thing...
After you click on "automatic: scan a folder..." does your Windows dialog box say "Browse For Folder" at the top?

I'll fire-up some other machines and see if I get a different behavior on them. This one is XP-Pro and it does some things differently than XP Home.

UPDATE:
Same result on XP Home. Let's make sure we are doing the same thing. :yes:

~KnoWei

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:40 am 

KnoWei wrote:
I can type it in but it actually scans whatever is highlighted in the folder list.

If you type a simple location like "C:\Movies3", it works.

But you're right that if you type "//192.168.1.76/Disk 2/Movies3", it'll use whatever is highlighted in the folder list...

Too bad !

You'll always have to use the mass edit function that I'm gonna add today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:34 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
But you're right that if you type "//192.168.1.76/Disk 2/Movies3", it'll use whatever is highlighted in the folder list...

In fact, it didn't work for me because there was no //192.168.1.76 on my network.
But it works if I give the right IP of my NAS :D

KnoWei wrote:
As you can see the slashes are backward like a normal file path.

Oops! That's why there was problems with the program I posted yesterday.

Here's a new version:

P.S: I have to go shopping for food, and when I come back, I'll add the "mass edit" feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:29 am 

Here's the new version:

To trigger the location mass edit feature, you have to use the keys combination "Contol + L".
('L' like Location)

For instance, you can replace "t:" by "//192.168.1.77/disk%202".

Is there any problem ? Can it be better ?

P.S: I'll be away for several hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:15 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Here's the new version:

To trigger the location mass edit feature, you have to use the keys combination "Contol + L".
('L' like Location)
The mass replacement worked perfectly. In order not to mess with my "production" file I started with an empty coollection. I used "automatic: scan..." to import 38 iso files from S:\Movies1\. Then I used the Ctl+L functionality to rename the paths to //192.168.1.77/Disk1/Movies1/ (which is the IP path for Movies1). All the locations appear to have changed correctly.

(cool) Hector wrote:
Is there any problem ? Can it be better ?
My Coollector still doesn't show a Play Icon once the location has the forward slash and IP path. Also the path is not showing when I click on the play button. Is that supposed to be working or is that the next step? :-)

~KnoWei

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:14 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
KnoWei wrote:
As you can see the slashes are backward like a normal file path.

Oops! That's why there was problems with the program I posted yesterday.

Forward... Backward...

Here's a new version that works with both "//" and "\":

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:36 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Forward... Backward...
Well Coollector takes the "//" with this version but I can't get the paths to work. No matter, I'll go with \\192.168.1.76\etc.\etc. This works fine and accomplishes the goal.

One thing to check though. When I use the the Coollector.exe in the previous reply (third one you posted) the Cntl+L works, however when I exit Coollector and restart; the global changes are not saved. It reverts back to the original string of "N:\Movies3". Oh so close. :-)

(cool) Hector wrote:
Here's a new version that works with both "//" and "\": http://www.coollector.com/Coollector.exe
Just so you know, the Cntl+L does not appear to be working in this version.

~KnoWei

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:22 am 

KnoWei wrote:
Well Coollector takes the "//" with this version but I can't get the paths to work.

Have you replaced all the "" by "/" ?

KnoWei wrote:
Just so you know, the Cntl+L does not appear to be working in this version.

I have introduced a small error, sorry.

Here's the new version: