It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Metacritic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:34 pm 

Would be really cool if there was a way to include the metacritic score of a movie.

http://www.metacritic.com/

not sure if its possible. If your not sure what this is, metacritic takes all revieews of books, music, movies, games and calculates a average of every review rating they can find. They do not say exactly what their equation is, but they do state they need a speicfic number of ratings before they give a metacritic score. I just thought it would be cool to have this info provided in the program when looking at movies either you want or already own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:32 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion !

Unfortunately, though my decision isn't final, I think we probably won't do it.

Here is my reasoning...

We already have the IMDb rating, which is an average rating, like Metacritic is an average rating. An average rating is an indication, but it's far from perfect, because a same movie can be loved by some and hatred by others.

So, instead of adding yet another average rating information, I plan to implement a system that would predict how much you'll like or dislike a movie, based on the taste you've showed by rating other movies.

Disclaimer: that's an ambitious project, and won't happen until several/many months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:04 pm 

yah i just prefer meta critic cause they go thru all ratings in all publications and look up people whos job it is to rate something, and they all get averaged. what i dont like about imbd is they are part of the movie and tv group thus they dont always seem to have a good rating. also they dont rate books and video games which if you ever add to this program would be nice.

i just prefer theirs they dont spell out their exact equation, or how many ratings are needed to produce a meta score, but IMbd does rate even the newest things that have hardly any ratings, where as metacritic leaves the rating empty till they get enough diffrent rates to make a average.

i do enjoy the current rating, but showing a seperate one would be nice, maybe not in the break down. but when you pick the movie to look at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:41 pm 

taalon927 wrote:
what i dont like about imbd is they are part of the movie and tv group

IMDb is owned by Amazon.com

taalon927 wrote:
thus they dont always seem to have a good rating.

It's the rating of the IMDb users. Up to hundreds of thousands of users who gave their opinion. It's just my opinion, but personally I prefer the judgement of normal users instead of the judgement of professional critics.

taalon927 wrote:
IMbd does rate even the newest things that have hardly any ratings

As long as (at least 5) IMDb user has seen the movie, even if it was during a premiere...