It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: [REQUEST] Portable Coollector
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:56 am 

Hi, this is a continuation from the Yahoo Answers post.

Do you think it possible to make a portable version of Collector for use on various computers without the need to install? (I'm in the Navy so my computer will not always be around) When updating it could ask you where the english.movies.dat file is and replace it as well as the price database file. The .cool file could simply be in the same directory with a folder called backups or the like.

It seems quite simple enough given the program doesn't have many files to reference to.

Keep up the good work, I've been recommending this program to friends and family.

Post subject: Re: [REQUEST] Portable Coollector
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:40 am 

thefinalwolf wrote:
It seems quite simple enough given the program doesn't have many files to reference to.

Quite simple... yes and no...

Yes, I could easily make the program work on an USB key. But that would be a significantly different program. So I'd have to maintain 2 different versions, one normal, and another portable. You probably don't realize, but that means a lot of additional work and troubles for me. My days are already so short... And I could probably count on my fingers the number of persons interested by that feature...

I'll keep giving it some thought, but honestly, for the moment it's not my priority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:50 pm 

Theportablewolf, you should be ashamed of you !

I woke up this morning with an idea, and now I can't help working on it !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:03 am 

Coollector PORTABLE Movie Database is born:

http://www.coollector.com/Coollector_Portable_Setup.exe

Please try it and give me some feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:36 am 

hey does this one leave out the internet queries? IE prices and IMDB stuff? just curious as i plan to try it out, and recomend it to some military friends so they can spread it around.

not sure what it would take, but might want to concider a iphone version, or a android version, and actually charge for it... i know some people who would use this when searching out a bunch of movies and cant recall which ones they have if they had it on their iphone wow there ya go, got that movie but not that one.

HMMM might be easier to make a small app that allows them to view the wishlist if it was saved seperatly they could use the big program on the pc, then output a iphone wishlist to look at via a simple iphone app.

*bangs head on table* why did i suggest a iphone app, my phone uses jar/jad files (java) make it for mine lol Samsung Behold (T-Mobile) lol... jk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:26 am 

taalon927 wrote:
hey does this one leave out the internet queries? IE prices and IMDB stuff?

It works exactly like the normal version, except that it uses a single directory to store everything (on your USB key, or somewhere else if you want) and it doesn't touch the Windows registry (the settings are stored in a file instead).

If you don't want it to access the internet (for pictures and updates), simply block the program with your firewall, and it'll switch to offline mode. Or you can just turn off the automatic updates.

taalon927 wrote:
not sure what it would take, but might want to concider a iphone version, or a android version

We hope to make an iphone version, sometime next year. Some time ago, I've bought an iPod Touch and registered as an iPhone developper, but in the end, I've been too busy improving the desktop version of Coollector.

For the moment, Android means Java, and Java is not an option for me. I'll make an Android version only if they release a C SDK. They've made a small move in that direction, but that's yet not enough.

taalon927 wrote:
HMMM might be easier to make a small app that allows them to view the wishlist if it was saved seperatly they could use the big program on the pc, then output a iphone wishlist to look at via a simple iphone app.

You can already convert your wishlist into a text file:
=> filtered search
=> wished
=> print results.

There must be lots of free iphone apps who can read a text file.

taalon927 wrote:
*bangs head on table* why did i suggest a iphone app, my phone uses jar/jad files (java) make it for mine lol Samsung Behold (T-Mobile) lol... jk

Java ? Not a chance, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:55 pm 

Ahh! didn't realize you had replied (my email didn't tell me), else I would have responded right away :)

Thank you very much for the reply, I am so going to test this to its limits right now :D

----edit 12/11- 1638

This rocks! I couldn't help but get up and do a jig.
Here are some results:

Tested on Systems:
Vista 64-bit, 32-bit
WinXP 32-bit (completely empty)

When I first ran the program on the 64-bit I came across an error: http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/2572/errorzw.jpg

I don't know what it meant, but it didn't do anything at all to hinder me, nor have I seen it again. I also haven't been able to replicate it on any of my other systems. Must of been a fluke as I do have a lot of software on that system.

I noticed that the program saves the pictures of movies and people to the thumbdrive, which takes up quite a bit of space after awhile (with my collection from my pc ~90 MB). This doesn't bother me at all as I lug around a 64GB flashdrive :lol:
If it does become a problem, might I suggest an option to turn off picture downloading and/or the choice to limit to only owned/wanted/rated movies ?

Other than those the program has worked flawlessly, great job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:14 am 

thefinalwolf wrote:
When I first ran the program on the 64-bit I came across an error: http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/2572/errorzw.jpg

I don't know what it meant

Here is what it means:
when Coollector is used for the very first time, it opens up the page
http://www.coollector.com/help.html
and apparently your 64-bit computer doesn't have any web browser installed.

thefinalwolf wrote:
I noticed that the program saves the pictures of movies and people to the thumbdrive, which takes up quite a bit of space after awhile (with my collection from my pc ~90 MB). This doesn't bother me at all as I lug around a 64GB flashdrive :lol:

Yes, the portable version stores everything in a single directory.

thefinalwolf wrote:
If it does become a problem, might I suggest an option to turn off picture downloading and/or the choice to limit to only owned/wanted/rated movies ?

It might also be a problem for some users of the non-portable version. It's an option that I've always planned to add, but still haven't. Hopefully one day...

thefinalwolf wrote:
This rocks! I couldn't help but get up and do a jig.

Thank you very much ! I'm glad I made you so happy. :D

Also, I don't regret the extra work. I've submitted the program to www.portablefreeware.com and they got us a few hundred new users. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:10 am 

Yay! :)