It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: DVD Cover
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:19 pm 

Hi there,

on my search for a free dvd collection software I came across the Coolector and so far it seems what I am looking for, but I have a problem.

I can not figure out how to find the dvd cover picture that is actually matching my version of the movie. All I get is a different cover or - most of the time indeed - it's just a movie/cinema poster. To have all the data of the corresponding DVD is of course essential, but always looking at the wrong pic is just not feeling right when I browse my movie collection :-)

So, what do I miss here? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Grim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:50 pm 

Hi Grim !

No, you're not doing anything wrong...

Coollector is a movie database, personalized with your taste and possessions.

As a movie database, the movie panel displays the best picture that we could find to illustrate the movie (a theater poster if available, a video cover otherwise).

The videos that you own are displayed in the "Owned Videos" box, but unfortunately for the moment, this box doesn't display the video covers.

We're working on a brand new interface, where "Owned Videos" will finally display the video covers. With this new interface, you'll still have the theater poster, but below it the "Owned Videos" box will display the covers of all the videos you own of that movie.

I don't know what advice I should give you... Covers seem very important to you, but our new interface won't be ready until several months (it's a complete rewrite, to make the interface as sleek as the best movie center interfaces).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:15 pm 

Thanks Hector.

Well then it seems I can only wait for the new version. Yes, the covers are important to me :-)

We tried other proggys but it's always a hassle to share a database. My partner and I don't live together so we want to exchange a database with all our movies, the ones we own, the ones we want to buy etc.. So it's essential that the programm allows this easy exchange and edit of the database. DVD Profiler, a cool software, doesn't allow this for example, and my gf always had corrupted files after loading my database and vice versa. Coolector seems to allow this with a little file to send back and forth so I think we will use it.

When this new version is available, will it work with the old database? If so I would simply start with my collection and when the new version allows for displaying the right cover, all the better.

Thanks again.

Grim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:36 pm 

Grimnirsson wrote:
Coolector seems to allow this with a little file to send back and forth.

Absolutely, those are the coollection files (.cool files), and they're very small. You can even share a coollection file on your network (if you have several computers at home).

Grimnirsson wrote:
When this new version is available, will it work with the old database?

Every time we change our interface, or even our database structure, our users don't have anything to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:47 am 

+1 on the DVD covers - I've just spent ages trying to work our how to show my version of Lucky Number Slevin... I'm R2, so a LOT of the covers are different. Can't wait for the update! 8)