It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Suggestion
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:30 pm 

For a filtered search of owned movies could you add a date the movie was added. Something like "Newly Added"

I have over 500 movies and knowing which ones were newly added would be awesome.

Also, when scanning a directory for movies, it displays a file of "failed" movies. How about a file showing which ones were added?

star wars 1 The Phantom Menace
star wars 2 Attack of the Clones
star wars 3 Revenge of the Sith
star wars 4 A New Hope
star wars 5 The Empire Strikes Back
star wars 6 Return of the Jedi

Coollector added all these to Star Wars 1 as different parts. I only found out when I was looking for a movie.

These are just a few suggestions to think about.

But Coollector is awesome just the way it is!

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Another Suggestion
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:37 pm 

pogodeamon wrote:
For a filtered search of owned movies could you add a date the movie was added. Something like "Newly Added"

I have over 500 movies and knowing which ones were newly added would be awesome.

Yep, nice feature (already on our todo list).

pogodeamon wrote:
Also, when scanning a directory for movies, it displays a file of "failed" movies. How about a file showing which ones were added?

Not a bad idea. And very easy to do !

The file would still display the failed associations, and below that it would also list all the associations made:
file name => movie title (year)

I don't give you any date, but I should do it soon.

pogodeamon wrote:

star wars 4 A New Hope

Coollector added all these to Star Wars 1 as different parts. I only found out when I was looking for a movie.

I can explain you what happened...

From the start of the file name, the program identifies the longest string that matches a movie title. Very simple concept that works very well even when the file name contains things like "DVDRip" or "e12s02" or anything.

pogodeamon wrote:
But Coollector is awesome just the way it is!

Thank you !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:32 pm 

Maybe something like this also?
It could help from accidental mix ups of file names and movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:57 pm 

pogodeamon wrote:
Maybe something like this also?

I'm afraid it's not very clear. Even myself (who already know the program) I have difficulties to understand what you mean...

I think you mean having the choice between a completely automatic scanning, and a scanning where the user is prompted for action for each video file. Am I right ?

In that case, I wouldn't add a new menu option. Instead, it's the automatic scanning that should propose the option to be prompted or not.

The problem is this: what to do when the program is about to make a wrong association ? Correct that association from there. That implies a much more complex interface to do that.

Our first solution is much simpler (interface-wise). At the end of the scanning, you check if all associations seem right. And the wrong associations you correct from the program, which is better suited for this kind of manipulation.

After all, wrong associations are a small minority, isn't it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:03 pm 

Instead of creating an option where the user is prompted, I'd really prefer to make the association algorithm more clever.

For instance, I can make it clever enough to not fail with the Star Wars movies.

And if users keep reporting to me what movies generate problems, I'll keep making the algorithm smarter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:07 pm 

Do you have other associations errors to report ?

I think the Indiana Jones movies are also a problem, and I'll adjust the algorithm for them too.

Post subject: Re: Another Suggestion
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:33 pm 

pogodeamon wrote:
star wars 4 A New Hope

Here's how I'll make the algorithm smarter:

1) longest starting string => "star wars".
2) check if there are several movies starting with that string.
3) yes there are => check if one of those movies matches more parts of the filename.

For instance: "star wars 2 Attack of the Clones" => "Attack of the Clones" => associated with "Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:51 pm 

I completely understand. I don't really mean rewriting any code. However, adding a line or two of code.

1) longest starting string => "star wars".
2) prompt user to (A)dd or (S)kip

(A) "star wars 2 Attack of the Clones" => associated with "star wars 1 The Phantom Menace".

(S) Skip to the next movie without adding.

Right before your "Call" to actually associate the file add a "user input" asking if they want to.

Yes, you are correct the mix ups are far and in between, however the option to help it along could work when the user makes the initial scan of the directory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:55 pm 

Well I guess I could have made that a little more clear.

Quote:
The problem is this: what to do when the program is about to make a wrong association ? Correct that association from there. That implies a much more complex interface to do that.

When the user skips, it could be added to the file.

example:

183 Movies were added
4 Movies were skipped
2 Movies failed
8 Movies already added

then have it write the list of each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:02 pm 

Quote:
Our first solution is much simpler (interface-wise). At the end of the scanning, you check if all associations seem right. And the wrong associations you correct from the program, which is better suited for this kind of manipulation.

This is true, however, unless you don't want the file associated at all.
I don't have access to my home system right now but I have about 20 files (which are a mixture of family videos and just random cartoons) that should not be associated. I had to go back and undo all of those. As of now we have know way of knowing. (Until the feature to list the added movies is done).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:28 pm 

pogodeamon wrote:
I have about 20 files (which are a mixture of family videos and just random cartoons) that should not be associated. I had to go back and undo all of those.

A little advice: you shouldn't place your family videos in the same folder as your movies.

pogodeamon wrote:
As of now we have no way of knowing. (Until the feature to list the added movies is done).

1) the next version of Coollector will list the added movies.
2) the next version of Coollector will have a smarter algorithm.
3) I prefer not o add the (A)dd or (S)kip feature.

I'll do my best to make the association algorithm as clever as possible (thanks to users feedback).

If there are still some wrong associations that happen, the user will be able to locate them by reading the association report.

I think it's enough. No need to make the interface more complex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:03 pm 

And what about a preview option ?

Option A: preview how the associations would go, but don't actually add anything to your collection.

Option B: do the actual associations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:20 pm 

Honestly I think that is a little pointless. If a new user has 200 movies and scans the directory. They have to make a choice of adding them or not. When they see that maybe there are 25 movies not associated, they will not go back to put in 175 by hand.

Quote:
A little advice: you shouldn't place your family videos in the same folder as your movies.

They are movies that I made into dvd's, I have 3 folders
1)Music
2)Movies
3)Pictures

I also have everything well backed up!

My "Coollection" is straight so I have no worries!
I am just making the suggestion, you can tell me to shut up when ever. Like I said I understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:38 pm 

pogodeamon wrote:
Honestly I think that is a little pointless. If a new user has 200 movies and scans the directory. They have to make a choice of adding them or not. When they see that maybe there are 25 movies not associated, they will not go back to put in 175 by hand.

It's not about the files that are not associated at all, but about the files that are associated to a wrong movie.

Once added, you'll have to remove those wrong associations. With a preview option, you could identify any wrong association before it's actually added to your database, and prevent it by either renaming the file or moving it to another location.

Scanning is an operation that can massively modify your database. It's more comfortable to have a preview option to make sure you're not about to make something wrong.

This preview option is equivalent to the the "(A)dd or (S)kip" feature you suggested. The difference is that it requires less input from the user (i.e. it's faster), and it requires less interface changes too.

pogodeamon wrote:
I am just making the suggestion, you can tell me to shut up when ever.

Tell you to shut up ? Absolutely not. We're having a pleasant and fruitful conversation (if something I said offended you, then you had a wrong interpretation of my words).

All I wanted to say is that there are chances that some of your home videos will be wrongly associated to movies whose titles begin with the same words. Knowing that, it'd be safer that you place your home videos inside a "home videos" folder that never gets scanned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:49 pm 

You never offended me. I just know you how it is when people keep on and on!

Quote:
All I wanted to say is that there are chances that some of your home videos will be wrongly associated to movies whose titles begin with the same words.

That is exactly the reason I suggested "(A)dd or (S)kip". Not only home movies though, cartoons too. Some are titled same as a movie would be.
I really don't want to have a million folders.

I have a portable HD with my movies on it, give me a few minutes and I will run a scan to see what shows up.