It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Coollector for Blackberry OS in the future?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:34 pm 

i've heard u'd release an iphone version in the future, so why not blackberry too? & if its possible, u can control everything over bluetooth (ie: choose the movie u wanna play from the blackberry & it plays on the computer)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:30 pm 

For still many months, I'll keep improving the Windows version.

After that, I'll try to port the program to as many platforms as possible.

The ports I'm considering the most seriously are Mac, Linux, iPhone/iPad, and Android.

It would already be amazing if Ì made all those ports.

I can't promise there'll ever be a Blackberry version. In fact, I doubt it :worried:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:07 am 

i think blackberry users are a lot more than iPhone & Android users, so its reasonable to ask for a platform that is more popular!
i really hope u consider a blackberry version

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:26 am 

It's all about the development frameworks...

Coollector is written with highly portable C++ libraries.

I can easily port to Mac and Linux. iPhone/iPad port will be a little harder, but not much. Android port seems feasable (thanks to the NDK). Moblin, Maemo and MeeGo ports are also very easy...

Unfortunately, Blackberry's programs must be written in Java. It'd take a complete rewrite of Coollector :(

Last edited by (cool) Hector on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:35 am 

the new blackberry devices support openGL & a lot more stuff i think, am not much into technicality!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:41 am 

KingofHell wrote:
the new blackberry devices support openGL & a lot more stuff i think, am not much into technicality!

It's a problem of programming environment. I have much better things to do than rewrite Coollector in Java. I have only one life !

Also, I may be wrong, but I think Blackberry is a dying platform...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:13 pm 

what i'm saying is, it supports other platforms than java, especially the new ones!
well, hopefully in the future when u have more staff u may have time to do it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:52 pm 

KingofHell wrote:
what i'm saying is, it supports other platforms than java, especially the new ones!

I had a quick look at the devolopment kit, and apparently it's exclusively Java. You have no choice but use Java to write your Blackberry app.

KingofHell wrote:
well, hopefully in the future when u have more staff u may have time to do it!

Of course, if we become huge, everything's possible !!!

Tell your friends about Coollector if you want us to become huge :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:55 am 

yeah am telling everyone to use it, but they think its not good if they can't use it for their home theater, but i told them the next update would support the remote, n they told me to tell them when the next update is ready!

i have a neat idea that just popped into my head, how about having Coollector with 2 separate applications, one application is like the one we're using, & the other one is for home theater where it shows big cover arts, description, info...etc! in full screen, & we navigate through our collection & play the movies that we want, everything is neatly organized by genre, date added...etc! that would make it the ultimate movies collection manager, & perhaps in the future, allow it to rip movies out of the original DVD, it would be better than using a separate application to rip them & all!

what do u think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:50 am 

KingofHell wrote:
they think its not good if they can't use it for their home theater

Maybe using a media center program like XBMC would be a better idea for them. In the future, Coollector will borrow some ideas to the media centers. But for the moment, Coollector is a very different beast.

KingofHell wrote:
the other one is for home theater where it shows big cover arts, description, info...etc! in full screen

That's exactly the direction we're going. Soon, the program will work only in full screen mode, like a media center, and you'll have the possibility to replace the current grids by mosaics of pictures, with adjustable size, etc...

KingofHell wrote:
perhaps in the future, allow it to rip movies out of the original DVD, it would be better than using a separate application to rip them & all!

Ripping DVDs will never be integrated into Coollector. There's already enough program that can do that. You rip your DVD with your favorite ripper, you manage your video files with Coollector, and when you launch a video file from Coollector, it uses your favorite video player.

It's Coollector + your favorite ripper + your favorite player :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:47 pm 

well, yeah i don't mind ripping my movies using other softwares but it was just an idea, what i am anticipating is the complete freedom of using the remote, full screen, & better user interface