It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: purpose
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:01 am 

Hello all. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what the purpose of this porgram is.
I think it is some sort of research tool, like the IMDB website. Im guessing this is for folks who have problems with internet connection and cannot always log into IMDB to do the research there.

I own several thousand movies and need a quick way to put them into a catalog so I can print out sleeve labels for them. Typing and searching one at a time is a hassle and would take forever.

Coolector has a scrollable list of movies, which is fantastic, if I could check off my movies (much like Netflix and Blockbuster) and then click submit once to have them all put into my coolection in one transaction.

Then I could just export the data into CSV format and import them into a functional database for printing sleeves.

Coolector requires several needless clicking steps to add just one movie; and, as far as I can tell, it has no usable data export.

Any help, feedback, or suggestions, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: purpose
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:04 am 

Tao1 wrote:
Hello all. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what the purpose of this porgram is.

Then you're in deep trouble LOL!

Tao1 wrote:
I think it is some sort of research tool, like the IMDB website. Im guessing this is for folks who have problems with internet connection and cannot always log into IMDB to do the research there.

Not really... The concept of Coollector is to be the combination of several ideas, creating a synergy that makes the whole even greater than the sum of its parts.

First, let's compare Coollector with existing programs: video collection managers (e.g. DVD Profiler, Movie Collector, Movie Label, Movie Library, CatVids, Mediaman, etc..., etc...). Like them, Coollector helps you manage your collection of videos, know which ones you own, with all the technical details, where they are located, which ones you've loaned, etc...

But Coollector is also an encyclopedia of movies, which makes it apart from the above-mentioned programs.
1) Coollector is movie-centric, instead of DVD-centric, which is a more natural way to think.
2) you don't start with some dull empty database, where you must enter all the movies one by one.
3) person's filmographies are not limited to just the few movies that you own.
4) it's easier to maintain a wish list, because you also see movies that you don't own.
5) you can easily give an appreciation to all the movies and persons that you know, making your coollection reflect YOUR WHOLE CULTURE AND TASTE.

Coollector can indeed be compared to the IMDb. Information is less extensive, you get only the essential facts, but information is PERSONNALIZED. Movies that you own are underlined. You see your personal ratings to movies and persons. For instance, you can determine at a glance if a director is important to you. And I hope you will agree that navigating Coollector is more pleasant than navigating the IMDb.

One more thing... Coollector also has a price search engine, which you can combine with your wish list to easily survey the stores and find the best bargains.
Note: the price search is currently under construction and needs to be extended with more stores.

And there are several other things that make Coollector special. The interface, with one pane for movies and the other one for the persons... How packs of movies are well broken into separate movies... The fact that Coollector is a very fast C++ program...

Tao1 wrote:
I own several thousand movies and need a quick way to put them into a catalog so I can print out sleeve labels for them. Typing and searching one at a time is a hassle and would take forever.

I'm afraid Coollector can't help you for this.

Tao1 wrote:
Coolector has a scrollable list of movies, which is fantastic, if I could check off my movies (much like Netflix and Blockbuster) and then click submit once to have them all put into my coolection in one transaction

I think you've found the string search, but missed the criterion search. You must click the tab "criterion search", and then filter to restrict the list to movies that you own, movies that you loaned, movies that you wish, etc...

Tao1 wrote:
Then I could just export the data into CSV format and import them into a functional database for printing sleeves.

Coolector requires several needless clicking steps to add just one movie

But you don't own movies, you own videos ! Needless clicking steps ? You locate the movie, then add the video, I can't do much better right now.
But I will add barcode scanning in the future.

Tao1 wrote:
and, as far as I can tell, it has no usable data export.

Coollector has export to txt file, which is line-delimited instead of comma-delimited. Shouldn't be a big problem...

Well... I hope this helped you understanding a little better. Don't hesitate to ask me more questions if you have :D