It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Short films
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:34 pm 

Hello. I've seen alot of Short films, but I don't really like the idea of adding them to the " long " movies list. Do you think it would be possible to add a filter, so we can sort out short films from long films ? Maybe something among the lines of " Less than 30 minutes long " " 30-60 minutes long " ; " 60+ minutes long ". What do you think ?

Post subject: Re: Short films
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:25 pm 

What you can already do: use the "More Filters" button to add the "Running Time" filter, and set it to the length you want.

What I plan to do but don't know when I'll have time to do it: add 2 new genres => "short" and "documentary".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:26 pm 

Tmad wrote:
I've seen alot of Short films

Rate those movies, then combine the filters "rated" and "running time".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:46 pm 

Great, thanks! And the Short / Documentary option would be absolutely great.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:49 pm 

Oh, there seems to be a problem. I did what you said, selected " running time " option, but as far as I can see, it's not estimative. So if the movie is not EXACTLY 15 minutes long, it won''t appear in the list. Although I have over 600 movies in my owned list, I haven't found one movie that is exactly 1h 30 mins long, or 2 hours long.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:36 pm 

Tmad wrote:
if the movie is not EXACTLY 15 minutes long, it won''t appear in the list.

I've tested, and my solution gives very bad results indeed. But not for the reason that you think.

It's not EXACTLY...
If you choose 15 minutes, you'll get movies from 1 minute to 15 minutes.
If you choose 30 minutes, you'll get movies from 16 minutes to 30 minutes.
Etc...

The problem is that the running time is an information relative to videos, not to movies. If you use it with movies that you don't own, the movie won't be listed if there's not an existing video with running time information. And it works even more badly with short movies, because short movies are usually packed with other short movies.

We could think of a hack to list your owned short movies. Give them all a running time of 1 minute, and use the filters "status = owned" + "running time = 15 minutes".

P.S: another thing that I plan to do (but don't know when I'll do it) is to add running time information for the movie itself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 pm 

So, there's no possible way that the counting will start from 0, instead of 16,31, etc ? It will work if it's 0 - 30 minutes instead of 16 - 30 minutes.

And one question, how can I add a running time of X min ?

And one more thing, off-topic.

Is there a way I could, for example make some sort of " packs " ? Let's take LOTR trilogy. I would like to rate the entire Trilogy with Very Good, let's say. And when I click it, I also want to be able to rate each part individually. Think you could add an option like this ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:46 am 

Tmad wrote:
So, there's no possible way that the counting will start from 0, instead of 16,31, etc ?

It's a 15 minutes range. It's very useful to choose what movie to watch when you know you have only xxx minutes of free time.

Tmad wrote:
And one question, how can I add a running time of X min ?

To set the "running time" field of a video that you own, go to the corresponding movie, and click the "Owned Videos" box to edit the technical details of your video.

Tmad wrote:
Is there a way I could, for example make some sort of " packs " ? Let's take LOTR trilogy. I would like to rate the entire Trilogy with Very Good, let's say. And when I click it, I also want to be able to rate each part individually. Think you could add an option like this ?

You can create your own custom packs

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#packs

but for the moment, you can't give a rating.

I plan to add the possibility to rate your owned videos (but I don't know when I'll find time to do it).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:58 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Tmad wrote:
So, there's no possible way that the counting will start from 0, instead of 16,31, etc ?

It's a 15 minutes range. It's very useful to choose what movie to watch when you know you have only xxx minutes of free time.

Sorry for bothering you again, I know you're really busy, but I really can't get my mind around how this works. Let's say I have 1h of free time. I want to watch a movie that's less than an hour long. HOW can I find that specific movie in my Owned Movies list ? Do I have to add manually to each movie it's running time ?
As I said, I really don't like the idea of having my short movies in the main list, and the only solution I can think of right now is making an entire new collection, only for short movies, and stuff like that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:23 am 

Tmad wrote:
Let's say I have 1h of free time. I want to watch a movie that's less than an hour long. HOW can I find that specific movie in my Owned Movies list ?

You set the status filter to "owned" and the running time filter to "1h", and you'll get movies between 46 and 60 minutes. Of course, your owned video must have the running time correctly set (by setting it yourself if necessary).

Tmad wrote:
Do I have to add manually to each movie it's running time ?

For the moment, yes, it can be necessary. In the future, I'll improve that by adding the running time information to the movie itself, and but adding a "short" genre. But I can't say when I'll have time to do it.

Tmad wrote:
As I said, I really don't like the idea of having my short movies in the main list, and the only solution I can think of right now is making an entire new collection, only for short movies, and stuff like that.

It's another possibility. Your choice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:27 pm 

Now I got it all sorted out. I've just added to all of my shorts a running time of 1 minute ( I'm not interested in their exact running time), and it works great. I didn't understand that I must manually add their running time in order for the filter to work :D . Coollector just became a whole lot better for me now, actually it's perfect. Really one of the best, if not the best movie-database program out there. Thanks Hector! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:20 pm 

:D