It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:40 am 

First thanks for this very good Freeware App :D . I mostly use it to scan my hard disk and then have a db with picture, genre, rating, plot and link.

Its best feature is speed.
Its most worrying feature is I depend on you staying in business.

Some more display templates would be good

- currently too much realestate for cast
- Youtube, imdb, rating, etc squished together
- bookshelf

List display sort

- By date added - so I can search for my newest movies
- By genre without having to use filters
- Filter save display with an icon so that favourite searches can be redone easily

Export

- this would overcome my concern that my investment disappears if you guys go out of business

Resizable bits

- would scale better for different screens

Thank you and I hope your business model is working for you

Post subject: Re: Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:25 am 

sammotor wrote:
Its most worrying feature is I depend on you staying in business.

Export

- this would overcome my concern that my investment disappears if you guys go out of business

Exactly! We're not about to go out of business anytime soon, but if we do someday, it won't be before having added an export feature that will allow you to move to another program. In fact, this export feature will be added soon.

sammotor wrote:
Some more display templates would be good

- currently too much realestate for cast
- Youtube, imdb, rating, etc squished together

I have no plan for that, but I'm open to ideas. How would you organize the display ?

sammotor wrote:
- bookshelf

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but if I do, then you'll be happy with the version 2.95 of Coollector (user-adjustable multi-column grids).

sammotor wrote:
- By date added - so I can search for my newest movies

Yes, it's on our todo list.

sammotor wrote:
- By genre without having to use filters

Without having to use filters ? I don't understand how we could do that.

sammotor wrote:
- Filter save display with an icon so that favourite searches can be redone easily

Yes, saving your favorite searches is also planned.

sammotor wrote:
[color=#0000FF]Resizable bits

- would scale better for different screens

The size of the main window is already adjustable. What do you mean ?

sammotor wrote:
Thank you and I hope your business model is working for you

Thank you very much !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:39 pm 

Thanks Hector - I note that you are very responsive to this forum. Also I am new to the program so I may mention something that is already there

Bookshelf - What I meant was a view that just shows the owned covers. You then click the cover to get into the detailed view.

Genre - At the bottom of the list is a "ordered by" button with preset filters. I think Genre would make a good preset. A even better approach would be to have column headers which sort the list and for columns to be user defined. An alternative or addition would be a line of icons with a preset sort and/or filter icluding "Title", "Rating", "Genre", "Year", "Date Added", "Search", etc. There would be space for a few user defined filters to be saved.

Display - I will take on the challenge of designing a display mock up idea - give me a little time. There would be scope for enthusiastic users to contribute templates if we knew how.

Resizable bits - I meant column widths movable. Seems like this will be solved by your grid approach.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:20 am 

sammotor wrote:
Bookshelf - What I meant was a view that just shows the owned covers. You then click the cover to get into the detailed view.

Coollector is fundamentally a movie database. Even when you set the filter to "owned", you get a list of movies, not a list of videos. If you want to see the details of a video, you have to select the video from the "owned videos" box of the movie.

For the moment, the "owned video" box shows only text like " DVD R1 x1". In the future, it'll show the video covers, and you'll be able to directly click a cover (it'll be more visual, and you'll save one click).

sammotor wrote:
[color=#0000FF]Genre - At the bottom of the list is a "ordered by" button with preset filters. I think Genre would make a good preset.

A same movie can have several genres. So you can't order by genre, only filter by genre.

sammotor wrote:
Display - I will take on the challenge of designing a display mock up idea - give me a little time. There would be scope for enthusiastic users to contribute templates if we knew how.

For the moment, I don't plan to add user-adjustable layouts (who knows, maybe your mockup will convince me).

What I do plan is to add skins, and users will be able to (very easily) create their own skins, and to contribute them for others to use.

sammotor wrote:
Resizable bits - I meant column widths movable. Seems like this will be solved by your grid approach.

Sorry, but the new grid approach isn't what you think it is.

New grids will display the movies/persons as a tiled layout, and you'll be able to adjust 3 things:

1) how big the pictures are.
2) the number of columns.
3) the style (title on the right of the picture, or title below the picture, etc...).

With the new grids, Coollector looks completely different. It's like a new program !!

It'll be our Christmas gift to our beloved users 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:44 pm 

I would like to see two categories added to Genre:
Silent (Silent films)
Biography (Biographical films)

I would also like the ability to add titles that are not in your database, not actual movies, but DVDs I have created myself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:24 pm 

The Old Man wrote:
I would like to see two categories added to Genre:
Silent (Silent films)

We don't consider silent as a genre, but when a movie is silent, this information is displayed before the genre.

For instance, if you go to the movie "Modern Times (1936)", the info below the title is "b&w | silent | G-rated | drama, comedy, action, romance".

We also have a filter for it. It's and extra filter => you must click the "more filters" button and select "silent or talkie".

The Old Man wrote:
Biography (Biographical films)

Why not, I'm not against it. I add it to my (long) todo list.

The Old Man wrote:
I would also like the ability to add titles that are not in your database, not actual movies, but DVDs I have created myself.

Do you mean personal movies filmed by yourself ?