It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: [Praise] Portable Coollector
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:48 pm 

I'm glad to see the portable is getting recognition. It has indeed been useful on my ship as I can just whip out the program and add suggested movies on the fly without internet or simply browse for interesting movies to add to my wish-list for the times I get back to shore.

Now if only there was a way to sync databases such as importing changes from my main computer to my usb or vice-versa and have like a menu pop-up or something in the options for same items and what changes should be applied to save time rather than hunting down manually through the databases looking for what I changed one movie at a time...

Keep up the great work! I wish I could contribute to the code, but alas I do not know programming.

Post subject: Re: [Praise] Portable Coollector
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:50 am 

Hello sailor ! Thank you very much for your kind words !

thefinalwolf wrote:
Now if only there was a way to sync databases such as importing changes from my main computer to my usb or vice-versa

Maybe I didn't understand your situation, but I don't think you need to sync anything. It's so simple to copy your coollection file from one disk to another. It's just one file, what's the problem ?

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:05 am 

You're using the portable version on a USB key, so I definitively don't understand what your needs are :sorry:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:27 am 

Oh, sorry; guess I should have been a bit more clear.

I have 2 databases: one on my main land-based computer and one on my usb I carry around and use on multiple computers for suggestions. Sometimes friends have their own databases of the same program that I copy. I was saying it would be nice to be able to import those changes to my main database. But it was only a fleeting thought :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:30 pm 

thefinalwolf wrote:
I have 2 databases: one on my main land-based computer and one on my usb I carry around and use on multiple computers for suggestions.

I still don't understand why you have 2 distinct databases.

1) why you don't use your usb database on your main computer, like you do with the other computers ?

2) why you don't copy your coollection file from your usb into your main computer ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:29 pm 

I use the portable version too. I used to swap thumbdrives back and forth but now I store everything in my DROPBOX. The coollector program and database are always in sync with my Desktop, Laptop, and Livingroom computers. And it is automatically backed up (and available) online. Works great... and it is free (2GB).

Dropbox:
http://www.dropbox.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:53 pm 

stevef wrote:
now I store everything in my DROPBOX.

VERY interesting !

Maybe you could write a simple tutorial, and I would add it to the help page ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:54 pm 

kinda off topic in this thread but yes Hector, Dropbox works great with Coollector. I dont really think it needs much of a tutorial; all I do is download the dropbox ap to all my computers. I store all of the Coollector files in the dropbox folder then my movie list (and program) is always up to date - across all my computers.. automatically. Everything that is in the dropbox folder stays in sync (and is backed up online in public or private folders). I hardly use thumbdrives anymore.

Another cool feature is I save the print movie list .txt to a public folder within dropbox.... then the .txt file is automatically assigned a URL. I can view my movie list on my phone with one click 8)

IDEA: Is there a way for coollector to automatically keep the .txt file current so I dont have to go through the print and save .txt procedure or at least a way for me to change the default [my documents/coollector/export] path?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:39 pm 

I knew that DropBox was popular, but I had never tried their service, nor did I even know what it really was.

The possibilities you talk about are very interesting. I have plans to integrate features like that to Coollector, but it won't be until some time. I'm surprised to learn that, today, we can already do some useful things with DropBox. I'll add a chapter about that to the help page.

stevef wrote:
IDEA: Is there a way for coollector to automatically keep the .txt file current so I dont have to go through the print and save .txt procedure or at least a way for me to change the default [my documents/coollector/export] path?

I'm sorry, I'm really too busy right now with other features. But I'll go back to that in a few months, because that's interesting stuff..