It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I search for a movie that I own?
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:21 pm 

Is there a way to do I search for a movie that I own? The program keeps defaulting to doing searching in the entire 79000+ database.

Thanks,

Doug

Post subject: Re: How do I search for a movie that I own?
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:59 pm 

DougKrasnoff wrote:
Is there a way to do I search for a movie that I own?

Set the "status" filter to "owned".

There's even an "owned videos" shortcut at the top left of the program.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:18 pm 

that does not work. When "owned video" is highlighted in red at top, and I type to search for my movie, it automatically searches 79000+. Setting top of the six tabs to "own" results in the same, searches 79,000+

--doug

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:34 pm 

When you click "owned videos", the movie filtered search will list all the movies of which you own a video.

When you type a movie title, you move to the movie string search that searches all the titles from all the movies. It's easy to recognize inside the results which are the movies that you own, because they have their title underlined.

I'm about to change the interface, adding tabs to make things easier to understand:

Attachment:
version3.png
version3.png [ 423.52 KiB | Viewed 7700 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:52 pm 

I love free programs, yours is fairly cool, I CAN NOT BELIEVE YOU HAVE CREATED A DATABASE THAT YOU CAN NOT DO A SEARCH FOR YOUR OWN MOVIES. I THOUGHT THAT THAT WAS THE VERY PURPOSE OF A DATABASE -- TO DO SEARCHES?!?!?!?!?!?

Granted I could do a manual scroll though a list every time, but if you have 2000 movies, how silly. What exactly am I supposed to do with this program?

Doug

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:27 pm 

DougKrasnoff wrote:
I CAN NOT BELIEVE YOU HAVE CREATED A DATABASE THAT YOU CAN NOT DO A SEARCH FOR YOUR OWN MOVIES. I THOUGHT THAT THAT WAS THE VERY PURPOSE OF A DATABASE -- TO DO SEARCHES?!?!?!?!?!?
Please calm down or I won't try to help you.

There's obviously a misunderstanding, as we have the best search feature of all the programs available out there, free or paid.

1) you can do a filtered search. You set the status to "owned", then you add as many other filters as you want (there's even more filters if you click the "More Filters" button). For instance, you can list all the western movies from 2009 that you own on Blu-ray. Etc... Also, you can select in which order the results are listed (alphabetically, by IMDb rating, etc...).

2) if you do a string search, that means that you know what movie you're looking for. In most cases, you'll find your movie directly by typing a word or two. If the search returns several movies, you can easily identify the one you own from its underlined title.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:34 pm 

It works perfectly fine for me. This program has the best searching capabilities I've seen so far. It just takes a bit of getting used to because there are so many options available. As for that:
(cool) Hector wrote:
I'm about to change the interface, adding tabs to make things easier to understand:

I don't see what you're getting so worked up about. Have you thought of reading the help documentation?

- A fellow Coollector user

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:01 pm 

I still have no idea how to do a search for the movies that I own.

Step 1: I select owned movies
Step 2: I selected owned from tab 1
Step 3: I do a test, to see if a movie that I own, and is in my personal database, is actually there by typing "Sin City" and the program defaults to 79000+ titles.

I have been around computers for 25 years, I have a wireless network in my home, i have a degree in engineering and Masters in Business and a Juris Doctorate, and have used and created databases.

All I can say is why-- when I select owned videos and start typing a search for one of the videos in my personal database either it should appear, if it is there, or not appear, if it is not there, why it defaults to 79000+ is a mystery.

--doug

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:24 pm 

DougKrasnoff wrote:
Step 1: I select owned movies
Step 2: I selected owned from tab 1

Clicking "owned movies" is a shortcut to setting the status filter to "owned". That's not easy to understand, that's why the interface will be modified.

DougKrasnoff wrote:
when I select owned videos and start typing a search

Typing a letter on your keyboard makes you leave the filtered search and move to the string search. That'll be easier to understand with the new interface and the tabs.

DougKrasnoff wrote:
typing a search for one of the videos in my personal database either it should appear, if it is there, or not appear, if it is not there, why it defaults to 79000+ is a mystery.

As I said, as soon as you type the first letter, you move to the string search. At the beginning, the string search has the 79000+ movies listed alphabetically. If you type "sin" + "space" (or "enter"), there's now only 99 result. If you go on and type "city" + "space" (or "enter"), you now have only 3 results.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:39 pm 

DougKrasnoff wrote:
when I select owned videos and start typing a search for one of the videos in my personal database either it should appear, if it is there, or not appear, if it is not there, why it defaults to 79000+ is a mystery.

I disagree.

You might be watching you list of owned movies, then want to reach a movie that you don't necessarily own.

That's why the string search searches ALL the movies. Because even if you look for a movie that you own, as soon as you type more than 1 word, there won't be that many results to prevent you from finding the movie you want.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:46 pm 

DougKrasnoff wrote:
either it should appear, if it is there, or not appear, if it is not there

The string search doesn't allow you to search for a title that doesn't exist (you'll get a ding sound).

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:03 pm 

You're confused because (with the current version) the string search and the filtered search seem to be the same panel. They should be two distinct tabs. The string search knows nothing about the settings of the filtered search. The string search makes a global search on all the titles in the movie database.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:04 pm 

So it is not possible to do a search of movies you own. Do need the "magic knowledge" of--- if it is in the "master database" and underlined-- it is in "your owned" collection, thus searching only within "my owned" database is not possible?!.

Correct?

If is this correct, I recommend the ability to search for a movie that you may or may not own, if you own it, it shows up, if not, it does not.

If you want to know if is part of the master database, you should search the master database.

The way I think about it is, what I own, is a subset of the master database, and indeed a database of its own, and should be searchable independent of the master DB. But apparently that is not how you set up the program. Rather than an underline, how a movie is boxed and different colored background around those films in the master DB that I own?

--Doug

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:12 pm 

DougKrasnoff wrote:
Correct?

Correct.

DougKrasnoff wrote:
If is this correct, I recommend the ability to search for a movie that you may or may not own, if you own it, it shows up, if not, it does not.

There's already been a discussion about that some months ago. At first, that sounds like a good idea, but in fact it's a bad idea.

Why ? Because that would require to make the interface more complex, which in fact isn't necessary, because the string search gives satisfying results, even by searching the entire database. There's only a few cases where it returns more than a dozen results. In that case, the fact that the title is underlined could help you, but frankly, with all your diplomas, I don't think you'll even need that to locate your movie (hint: the results are listed alphabetically, and there are pictures).

Please make the test and you'll see. In my everyday use, I have zero problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:26 pm 

Oh, I forgot to mention... In the other post, we came to the conclusion that I'll add 26 letter buttons to the filtered search. This way you'll click the letter "M" to move down the list to the first movie starting with that letter. You'll have 2 seconds to press another letter, to refine even more 8)