It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How do I search for a movie that I own?
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:42 pm 

http://www.coollector.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=608&p=4601#p4601

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:19 am 

Dear Hector,

Thanks for this great program...

Again I must tell you that if you add search by IMDB. It will be so great, maybe you will ask me (why should I),

My dear look at the foreign movie like Jackie chan movie. do you know how many name per movie. It is really quite a lot. but all those local name for many country, can be directed to one code, this code is IMDB Code,

I am In Ornamental plants business, when you go to common name, there are hundred, but when you go to botanical name, ( Latin ) there are only one.... :)

Thanks and best regards....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:48 am 

rzainaddin wrote:
Thanks for this great program...

Thank you very much !

rzainaddin wrote:
My dear look at the foreign movie like Jackie chan movie. do you know how many name per movie. It is really quite a lot. but all those local name for many country, can be directed to one code, this code is IMDB Code

I still don't understand. How come that you know the IMDb code ?

We list all the english akas of a movie. Search for one of those akas, and if you're still in doubt in spite of the year and the cast, you can still click the IMDb icon to check that you land on the right IMDb page.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:40 am 

Thanks again Mr Hector,

Do not expect that your Great program are only used by an american or English People, It is really used worldwide by so many nationalities , and some of them are not so familiar with English. so for him, it is best, just to enter a code and it is done.

And as I told you, Botanical name is hundreds time better than common name or (AKA name)

Thanks and best regards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:54 am 

rzainaddin wrote:
It is really used worldwide by so many nationalities , and some of them are not so familiar with English. so for him, it is best, just to enter a code and it is done.

You haven't answered my question. How do you know the IMDb code ? It's not natural to know a code. Are you robots ? You found that code by searching the IMDb. You're ok to search the IMDb, but you're not ok to search Coollector. I don't understand.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:06 am 

Ok, I think that I've finally understood what you mean. For instance, you're german, and you know the german title, but not the english nor the original title. Is that it ?

We plan to localize the movie database to other languages than English. For example, the german database will list the german akas + the original title.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:24 am 

My Dear,

It is really fine my dear,

Every one has a little knowledge in the internet and movies knows about IMDB, code, just google the movie and the first two line from the search page, will show you IMDB page Just click and you go directly to your page, (sure the code for the page is here), this does not need computer... unless if you mean by code something else other than the movie reference page.... !!!!

and who told you I did not search on Collector, I do not have problem with any new movie, all the problem is with an old movie and non English movie..., and I know that those movie is there,

If you do not like my answer, I will not be angry if you do not reply... Still I believe that all professional prefer Latin name instead of common name

Thanks...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:35 am 

rzainaddin wrote:
and who told you I did not search on Collector, I do not have problem with any new movie, all the problem is with an old movie and non English movie..., and I know that those movie is there

Please give me some examples, so I can figure out better.

For the moment, I'm not convinced that this feature would be very useful. Well, maybe it could be a little useful now that Coollector is only available in English, but when it'll be available in other languages, I think there'll be no more problem at all.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:15 pm 

Hi again my dear,

OK, I will give you an example, I have download the movie virtual weapon from the internet, trying to search in collector database, I could not find it, when I go to IMDB, I found other common name (Cyberflic), Cyberflic is in your database collector, both names for same movie...!

Again, I am not here to fight with you, my opinion is just for improving search engine in your database. and I am sure you will thank me in the future for this... If you do not want. again, it is your software and you are free to do what you see is reasonable for you...

Best Regards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:38 am 

rzainaddin wrote:
OK, I will give you an example, I have download the movie virtual weapon from the internet, trying to search in collector database, I could not find it, when I go to IMDB, I found other common name (Cyberflic), Cyberflic is in your database collector

The aka "virtual weapon" will be added with the next database update. Thank you very much for reporting this issue, and don't hesitate to report others that you may know of.

rzainaddin wrote:
Again, I am not here to fight with you

Of course no fighting. This conversation is quite interesting. I appreciate your feedback.

rzainaddin wrote:
my opinion is just for improving search engine in your database.

With your example, it's much better to add the missing aka. Do you have other examples ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:43 am 

No, There are so many missing, but I just give an example,

Sure I like your Collector, so go forward man...

Best Regards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:44 am 

Technically, it would be easy to add an IMDb search feature. But I don't see how this feature could be useful.

The only use I can think of, is when you request a movie to be added, to make sure that it's not a movie already in the database. But in fact, when a user requests a movie already in the database, I take this opportunity to understand what went wrong and improve the database. Was is a missing aka ? Or something else that I could fix ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:46 am 

rzainaddin wrote:
There are so many missing, but I just give an example

You'd do me (and the other users) a favor by reporting the titles that could be improved.

Please use the "database errors" forum:

http://www.coollector.com/viewforum.php?f=4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:44 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Technically, it would be easy to add an IMDb search feature. But I don't see how this feature could be useful.

The only use I can think of, is when you request a movie to be added, to make sure that it's not a movie already in the database. But in fact, when a user requests a movie already in the database, I take this opportunity to understand what went wrong and improve the database. Was is a missing aka ? Or something else that I could fix ?

It is another reason to include IMDB search, when one movie has many name, It is easy to know that if this one included into our collector (I know it is yours, so I am sorry) or not... so in this case no need to search with other common name, We just report that this item is not available. then with your next update, you can arrange....and do not forget, the user has now many option to search, IMDB option one of them...(Last time I have report for (Winter's bone) And I could not see it, same for our collector search your movie, could not see it, I was writing winters instead of winter's.

Again when someone report about a movie, they will not report in any name, they just copy the link to IMDB, and you do the rest :)

Any way, I know you will do it, maybe not now, but believe you will do it..

Best Regards

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:24 pm 

I apologize for the late reply. My old computer died, and setting up a new system takes a lot of time.

rzainaddin wrote:
so in this case no need to search with other common name, We just report that this item is not available. then with your next update, you can arrange....

As I said, it's a great opportunity to discover problems with our titles. Each week, I fix a few titles this way.