It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: DB Combine & Sticky Settings
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:12 am 

Hi,

Thanks for the great little program! :)

There are three things that I noticed, that I would really love to be able to do, please.

1) I would like to be able to save my listing parameters. In other words, I would like to be able to set it so that every time I open the program, it only shows USA movies and has them listed by Title. Right now, I set those options, but they don't stick and when I open the program again, I have to change them again.

Does it already do this and I'm missing it???

2) Both my wife and I have this program on our computers and we are adding our DVD collection into it. What I would like to be able to do, is sync up the two databases and have it make them both the same. In other words, I could add some as owned and she could add different ones as owned and we could combine the two and have them both the same, instead of two separate databases. So it would sync up the added videos from each, so that both are up to date.

Does it do this already and I'm missing it?

3) I would really like to be able to turn off the clicking sound. Can this be done? I didn't see an option for it.

Thanks! :)

Dave

Post subject: Re: DB Combine & Sticky Settings
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:56 am 

GiantWaffle wrote:
I would like to be able to set it so that every time I open the program, it only shows USA movies and has them listed by Title.

This will be possible with Coollector version 3.

GiantWaffle wrote:
So it would sync up the added videos from each, so that both are up to date.

It's not currently possible, and I don't know when it'll be. If your wife and you have a shared network, you should place the coollection file on that network.

GiantWaffle wrote:
I would really like to be able to turn off the clicking sound. Can this be done?

There's no option for that. Why is the click sound so annoying ? Is there a problem and it's not the intended sound that is played ?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:22 pm 

Hector said: This will be possible with Coollector version 3.[/quote]

GW Responded: Thanks. Any idea when that's coming?

Hector said: It's not currently possible to sync up databases, and I don't know when it'll be. If your wife and you have a shared network, you should place the coollection file on that network.

GW Responded: Okay, but the program really has no options. How would I tell it to automatically look there for the database every time it opens?

Hector said: Why is the click sound so annoying?

GW Responded: Imagine that you start your favorite audio player and play a song list. You're enjoying your favorite songs. Now call up the program and let's say you're giving the program heavy use at the moment. Now what do you hear every couple of seconds as you click in the program, interrupting your favorite songs? Does that really sound like a good thing to you, especially considering that you now have the volume turned up for your music, or even have headphones on? Are you really enjoying your music now? <smile>

I like this program a lot! I really do! But its Achilles Heel is that it has virtually ZERO options! There are a LOT of things I would change in an options screen, if I could. And I really do think that is a shame, since I tried "the big four" (yours is one of them) and yours beats the others hands down! In fact, it is the only one that auto searched for movies that I had not added myself yet. Install any of the other three and from the start, there are ZERO movies in the database, until you add them and that just plain SUCKS, dude!

Yours is cool, it's easy and it even has the way cool Cooliris view! What more could you ask for?! :)

But yea, that clicking sound has got to go! Personally, it would be my guess that someone added it because THEY thought it was cool. That's fine. But just because that person does, that doesn't mean everyone will, right? All I'm saying, is it should be an option.

Thanks dude! Look forward to your next answer!

P.S.: Is there an option on this forum to have it email me when there's a response? I didn't see one in the Control Panel settings.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:08 pm 

GiantWaffle wrote:
Any idea when that's coming?

I'm very bad at guessing dates. But I'd say that version 3 will be released in June, and beta testing will start in a few days.

GiantWaffle wrote:
Okay, but the program really has no options.

There's some options in the settings panel.

GiantWaffle wrote:
How would I tell it to automatically look there for the database every time it opens?

When you launch Coollector.exe, it always open the default coollection file, named "MyCoollection.cool", and located in the default place (which depends on the version of Windows).

But you can have coollection files anywhere on your computer, with any name you want, as long as it's a .cool file. And you read them by double-clicking them. You can even create shortcuts to them.

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#coollection

GiantWaffle wrote:
Imagine that you start your favorite audio player and play a song list. You're enjoying your favorite songs. Now call up the program and let's say you're giving the program heavy use at the moment. Now what do you hear every couple of seconds as you click in the program, interrupting your favorite songs?

I made the test, and in my case the music covers up the click sound. No discomfort at all.

GiantWaffle wrote:
that clicking sound has got to go! Personally, it would be my guess that someone added it because THEY thought it was cool.

That someone is me, and I added it because it's normal have a sound feedback when you click.

GiantWaffle wrote:
All I'm saying, is it should be an option.

I don't know any program who has an option to disable the click sound. Am I wrong ?

GiantWaffle wrote:
I like this program a lot! I really do!
I tried "the big four" (yours is one of them) and yours beats the others hands down!

Thank you very much !

GiantWaffle wrote:
Install any of the other three and from the start, there are ZERO movies in the database, until you add them and that just plain SUCKS, dude!

:yes:

GiantWaffle wrote:
But its Achilles Heel is that it has virtually ZERO options!

It has some options => Tools => Settings.

GiantWaffle wrote:
Is there an option on this forum to have it email me when there's a response?

I don't think there is such an option.

What I personally do is subscribing to the RSS feed.

http://www.coollector.com/feed.php

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:23 pm 

GiantWaffle wrote:

Have you tried "Subscribe topic" (at the top of the page, below the buttons "new topic" and "post reply").

Honestly, I don't know what it does.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:34 pm 

I'm considering the idea of removing the click sound completely. I'm not against it.

What do the other users think ?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:05 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:

Why not, but no need for that in Win7 - there is possibility to selective decrease (or completely mute) volume just for the Coolector.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:40 pm 

GW Said:Okay, but the program really has no options.

Hector Said: There's some options in the settings panel.

GW Replied: I know. That's why I used the word "really". :) There are very few. Only two or three. And IMHO, the options there should be in a separate place for database options, not program options.

I apologize. I don't mean to tell a programmer his business, because I am by no means a programmer. I am a tech and have been for 30 years. Also, I have worked with major companies like AT&T, Motorola, IBM, Lenovo, etc., as well as smaller companies and just private programmers who sell a program or two that they've written and I have worked on both hardware and software with various companies, including beta testing and have worked in some of their labs with the engineers and I taught computer electronics, including operating systems, etc., so I am very familiar with this type of thing (how things are set up and finding and solving problems).

Please understand, I'm not saying any of this to brag. Just to let you know my experience, so that you know I'm not just someone who knows next to nothing, trying to tell you what to do, which I would never presume to do anyway. I was merely offering suggestions that I honestly believe would make the program even better. I'm just trying to help both of us out, that's all.

GW Said: How would I tell it to automatically look there for the database every time it opens?

Hector Said: When you launch Coollector.exe, it always open the default coollection file, named "MyCoollection.cool", and located in the default place (which depends on the version of Windows).

But you can have coollection files anywhere on your computer, with any name you want, as long as it's a .cool file. And you read them by double-clicking them. You can even create shortcuts to them.

GW Said: Actually, the file I have is, "english.movies.dat" and there's a separate price data file as well. I searched my entire drive and there are no "xxxx.cool" files whatsoever. I used "Super Finder", a great little free search program (get the older version) that searches every single folder on the drive.

Any suggestions? I don't know what to do with what you said, since I can't find a "xxxx.cool" file. :)

Also, I actually have two folders that have the same exact name in my Documents folder, which actually shouldn't be possible. I'd send ya a pic to show ya, if ya want. They're both called "Coollector".

Hector Said: I made the test, and in my case the music covers up the click sound. No discomfort at all.

GW Said: Lucky you. :)

GW Said: That clicking sound has got to go! Personally, it would be my guess that someone added it because THEY thought it was cool.

Hector Said: That someone is me, and I added it because it's normal have a sound feedback when you click.

GW Replied: I knew you were going to say that it was you! :) But it's only "normal", because when you first set up Windows it has that in its sound setup. Most people disable that sound.

GW Said: All I'm saying, is it should be an option.

Hector Said: I don't know any program who has an option to disable the click sound. Am I wrong?

GW Replied: Very few programs actually add a click, because Windows sets up that way by default anyway. But the few I have run into, do have a sound option to disable sound all together. Since it is a Windows sound, I would humbly suggest that you let people do the same thing they do with Windows sounds. Choose for themselves whether or not to have it. I think most people who have some computer knowledge (beyond just running programs) don't like having sounds and visuals such as splash screens forced on them and they like to have the option to turn them off if they want.

GW Said: I like this program a lot! I really do! I tried "the big four" (yours is one of them) and yours beats the others hands down!

Hector: Thank you very much!

GW Replied: You're quite welcome. I meant it.

GW Said: Is there an option on this forum to have it email me when there's a response?

Hector Said: I don't think there is such an option.

GW Replied: If you are the admin, you should look into it. This is actually only the second forum I have been on that does not have that option. And I have been on many. :) It's a lot easier, since my email always alerts me anyway. That way, I don't have to log in and I don't do RSS feeds. I understand some people enjoy them and I'm not knocking RSS feeds, It's just that I personally don't use them and so for me, it would just be one more thing to have to do, to get a couple of answers for a program, since beyond that, I don't use forums, except for 3 or 4.

FYI, I do appreciate you responding to me in here and how fast you have done so! Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:00 pm 

GiantWaffle wrote:
Actually, the file I have is, "english.movies.dat"

It's the movie database.

GiantWaffle wrote:
I can't find a "xxxx.cool" file.

It's inside "My Documents\Coollector".

You can click the menu "Help->Locate my coollection file".

GiantWaffle wrote:
Also, I actually have two folders that have the same exact name in my Documents folder, which actually shouldn't be possible. I'd send ya a pic to show ya, if ya want. They're both called "Coollector".

It seems like your Windows is set up to hide the file extensions.

GiantWaffle wrote:
Lucky you. :)

If your music stops playing, maybe you have a problem with your sound card.

GiantWaffle wrote:
If you are the admin, you should look into it.

Have you tried "Subscribe topic" ?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:31 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I'm considering the idea of removing the click sound completely. I'm not against it.

I use win 7 and so have the option of turning down/off the sounds in coollector but i think that you should make it optional since not everyone uses win 7.

GiantWaffle wrote:

The 'document library' in win 7 is a merger of the 'My Documents' and 'Public Documents' folder. There is a Coollector folder in each location and so two folders will usually be shown (at least that's how it is on my system).

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 57.62 KiB | Viewed 7136 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:04 am 

kakashi wrote:
I use win 7 and so have the option of turning down/off the sounds in coollector but i think that you should make it optional since not everyone uses win 7.

I hadn't paid much attention to it before, but I had a look at the programs that I use (browsers, mail client, etc...), and it's true that they never emit any click sound.

Also, it's less work for me to remove the click sound than it is to create an option.

kakashi wrote:
The 'document library' in win 7 is a merger of the 'My Documents' and 'Public Documents' folder. There is a Coollector folder in each location and so two folders will usually be shown (at least that's how it is on my system).

I don't understand.

On my system:
'My Documents' => 'C:\Users\Hector\Documents'
'Public Documents' => 'C:\Users\Public\Documents'

They are 2 different folders, they are not merged. And on your screenshot, they don't seem to be merged either.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:38 pm 

Just like 'My Computer', 'Documents Library' is virtual. It doesn't actually exist.

This is a screen shot of the 'Documents Library' on my computer:
Attachment:
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG [ 37.12 KiB | Viewed 7130 times ]

When I click the text "2 locations" I am shown the two folders/directories/locations that are included in 'Documents library'.
Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 43.02 KiB | Viewed 7130 times ]

Please read the text in the screenshot above.

Last edited by kakashi on Sat May 28, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:41 pm 

"Windows Help and Support" wrote:
Libraries are where you go to manage your documents, music, pictures, and other files. You can browse your files the same way you would in a folder, or you can view your files arranged by properties like date, type, and author.

In some ways, a library is similar to a folder. For example, when you open a library, you'll see one or more files. However, unlike a folder, a library gathers files that are stored in several locations. This is a subtle, but important, difference. Libraries don't actually store your items. They monitor folders that contain your items, and let you access and arrange the items in different ways. For instance, if you have music files in folders on your hard disk and on an external drive, you can access all of your music files at once using the Music library.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:55 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
GiantWaffle wrote:

Have you tried "Subscribe topic" (at the top of the page, below the buttons "new topic" and "post reply").

Honestly, I don't know what it does.

I am subscribed. It's then a matter of what options are available. I guess emailing me when there;s a new message isn't one of them. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:56 pm 

kakashi wrote:
This is a screen shot of the 'Documents Library' on my computer

You're right, I had never noticed this library thing (Win7 isn't my primary OS).