It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Request
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:06 am 

Hi there, :hi:

Thanks for the awesome program... :D

Just want to check if you are ever planning on incorporating TV series in the database as well? Something akin to http://thetvdb.com/ So that we can link our series we have on our hard drives with the pictures, cast, info, ratings, etc available on the TVDB website.

Another thing is bothering me is that I can't figure out how to link a movie to an avi file I have on my pc. For instance, I went to Tools>Scan my video files>Scan Preview and then a txt file popped up showing several dozen files that couldn't be added as I assume they were not named well enough for the program to recognize them but I can tell what movies they are and I can find them in the Coolector database but don't know how to link them to my files on my hard drive.

I know one has to go to the movie's page in the database and then click "you don't own any video of this movie" but then how does one browse to the file on one's hard drive? I see there is a text field titled location but nothing comes up when you click on it, do we have to manually type out the file location for each movie, i.e. C:\Users\MyName\Documents\Movies\2008\moviename.avi

Thanks,
d7e7r7

Post subject: Re: Request
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:57 am 

d7e7r7 wrote:
Hi there, :hi:

Hi ! Welcome ! Hope you'll like it here !

d7e7r7 wrote:
Thanks for the awesome program... :D

Thank you very much !

d7e7r7 wrote:
Just want to check if you are ever planning on incorporating TV series in the database as well?

Coollector is already a database of movies AND series. If a series is missing from our database, you can request it in the requests forum.

d7e7r7 wrote:
I went to Tools>Scan my video files>Scan Preview and then a txt file popped up showing several dozen files that couldn't be added as I assume they were not named well enough for the program to recognize them but I can tell what movies they are and I can find them in the Coolector database but don't know how to link them to my files on my hard drive.

Please give me some examples.

Also, are you really sure that the txt told you that the files could not be added ? I suspect that what the txt was telling you is that the files won't be added because you're doing a scan preview. After the scan preview, if everything looks fine, you're supposed to make a real scan, where the files will really be added to the database.

d7e7r7 wrote:
I know one has to go to the movie's page in the database and then click "you don't own any video of this movie" but then how does one browse to the file on one's hard drive?

When a file isn't associated automatically (because its name can't be recognized), you can associate the file manually. For that, you have to click the "play" icon (below the movie title).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:56 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
d7e7r7 wrote:
I went to Tools>Scan my video files>Scan Preview and then a txt file popped up showing several dozen files that couldn't be added as I assume they were not named well enough for the program to recognize them but I can tell what movies they are and I can find them in the Coolector database but don't know how to link them to my files on my hard drive.

Please give me some examples.

Also, are you really sure that the txt told you that the files could not be added ? I suspect that what the txt was telling you is that the files won't be added because you're doing a scan preview. After the scan preview, if everything looks fine, you're supposed to make a real scan, where the files will really be added to the database.

Thanks for the replies, only saw them by coming back to the forum, didn't get an email notifying me someone has replied, even though I checked that option when I posted the thread??

As for examples of file names that the scanner didn't recognize:
Code:
* The files that CAN'T BE added *
f:\movies\pre-2008\The LionKing 1994  CallMyBluff!.avi
f:\movies\still to find dates\Wimbeldon.avi
f:\movies\2008\47079-the.house.bunny.proper.dvdrip.xvid-arrow-newshost-3626\arw-hsbp.dvdrip.xvid.avi
f:\movies\2009\good hair 2009 dvdscr xvid prism-nzbsa\Goodhair.PrisM.avi
f:\movies\2009\hired.gun.2009.stv.dvdrip.xvid-misfitz-nzbsa\misfitz-hired.gun.cd1.avi
f:\movies\2009\hired.gun.2009.stv.dvdrip.xvid-misfitz-nzbsa\misfitz-hired.gun.cd2.avi
f:\movies\2009\last.ride.2009.dvdrip.xvid.aaf-nzbsa\aaf-lastride.avi
f:\movies\2009\the.maiden.heist.2009.dvdrip.xvid-vomit-nzbsa\vmt-mheist-xvid.avi
f:\movies\still to find dates\jackass 2.5\jack2.5-lpc.avi
f:\movies\still to find dates\jennifers.body.dvdrip.xvid.imbt-nzbsa\jennifers.body.dvdrip.xvid-imbt.avi
f:\movies\still to find dates\mannsfield 12\aaf-mannsfield12.cd1_www.movieinfo.blog.com_.avi
f:\movies\still to find dates\music and lyrics\mnl.dvdrip.xvid-deity.avi
f:\movies\still to find dates\old.dogs.dvdrip.xvid-diamond\dmd-od.avi
f:\movies\still to find dates\paparazzi.dvdscr.xvid-dvp\dvp-papar.avi
f:\movies\still to find dates\pineapple express\PineappleExpress.avi
f:\movies\still to find dates\spiderman 3\mvs-sp3-cd1.avi
f:\movies\still to find dates\spiderman 3\mvs-sp3-cd2.avi
f:\movies\still to find dates\the longest yard\TMD - The longest yard cam cobra 2of2.avi
f:\movies\still to find dates\the pacifier\[TMD]The.Pacifier.(POT).CAM.(1of2).avi
f:\movies\still to find dates\the pacifier\[TMD]The.Pacifier.(POT).CAM.(2of2).avi

There are many more but I don't want to post too many here at one, want to first see if it's ok...
Hope it's ok to post that info here?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:21 am 

Your file-names aren't very clear. Coollector uses the name of the file. The folder name is irrelevant. If you want to use the folder scanning feature then the file-names must be clear and contain only movie title then maybe the year afterwards. Here are some examples of how I would rename some of your files:
Suggestions I wrote:
The LionKing 1994 CallMyBluff!.avi
The LionKing 1994.avi

arw-hsbp.dvdrip.xvid.avi
the.house.bunny.avi

Goodhair.PrisM.avi
Goodhair.avi

misfitz-hired.gun.cd1.avi
hired.gun.cd1.avi

misfitz-hired.gun.cd2.avi
hired.gun.cd2.avi

TMD - The longest yard cam cobra 2of2.avi
The longest yard 2of2.avi

I hope that helped
- A fellow Coollector user :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:35 am 

kakashi wrote:
I don't really rename my movies as I like to keep them in their original attained format so it's easier for later identification...

You could rename "Wimbeldon.avi" into "Wimbledon.avi", then create a file "Wimbledon.txt", and inside that txt file you'd store the original file name "Wimbeldon.avi".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:23 am 

d7e7r7 wrote:
Thanks for the tip but I don't really rename my movies as I like to keep them in their original attained format so it's easier for later identification...

I don't really understand. What do you mean?

The file-names you use don't seem to contain any useful info about the file. Am I missing something of vital importance?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:01 am 

kakashi wrote:
d7e7r7 wrote:
Thanks for the tip but I don't really rename my movies as I like to keep them in their original attained format so it's easier for later identification...

I don't really understand. What do you mean?

The file-names you use don't seem to contain any useful info about the file. Am I missing something of vital importance?

Example:
The Movie Invictus has several different releases:
■ Invictus.PROPER.DVDSCR.XviD-FOXNEWS
■ Invictus.2009.BDRip.XviD.AC3-CaLLiOpeD
■ Invictus.2009.DVDRip.XviD-Larceny
■ Invictus.2009.DVDSCRip.XviD-Gothicmaster
■ Invictus.DVDSCR.xViD-xSCR
■ Invictus.2009.DVDSCR.XviD-ViSiON
■ Invictus.DVDSCR.xViD-xSCR-Noir

So if I search for the subtitles (say from Podnapisi) then I need to know which release I have to get the right subtitles...

It's also good to know which release you have so if a friend offers you a copy of the movie you can immediately see if it's the same release or not...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:22 am 

Like Kakashi said, many of your videos are not associated automatically because the program uses the file name, not the folder name
=> a file named "arw-hsbp.dvdrip.xvid.avi" can't be associated.

There are also many typos
=> "The LionKing" instead of "The Lion King", or "Wimbeldon" instead of "Wimbledon".

If you don't want to rename those files, then you'll have to associate them manually:

1) go to the movie

2) click the "play" icon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:27 am 

d7e7r7 wrote:
Could you maybe let us assign a folder instead of a video file to a series? One series can have maybe 50 or more avi files and the program doesn't get data for each episode, but rather for the whole series, so wouldn't it make more sense to allow series to be assigned to a folder rather?

The program must associate all the episode files (it can be automatic if the files are correctly named). That way, you can see that you have 50 episodes of the series, and you can launch whatever episode you want by clicking the "play" icon.

Another advantage, it's that the file name can give you the episode name (for instance "Friends S01E03 The One with the Thumb.avi"), an information which is not in our database.

In the future, I'll see if I can make the program create a playlist with all the series episodes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:59 am 

kakashi wrote:
I don't really rename my movies as I like to keep them in their original attained format so it's easier for later identification...

You could rename "Wimbeldon.avi" into "Wimbledon.avi", then create a file "Wimbledon.txt", and inside that txt file you'd store the original file name "Wimbeldon.avi".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:32 pm 

d7e7r7 wrote:
So if I search for the subtitles (say from Podnapisi) then I need to know which release I have to get the right subtitles...

It's also good to know which release you have so if a friend offers you a copy of the movie you can immediately see if it's the same release or not...

Option: Copy the release signature and add it to the folder name instead.

E:\MOVIES ripped\Cartoons\Kung.Fu.Panda[2008]DvDrip-aXXo\Kung.Fu.Panda[2008].avi

OR

E:\MOVIES ripped\Cartoons\Kung.Fu.Panda[2008]DvDrip-aXXo\Kung.Fu.Panda[2008]DvDrip-aXXo.avi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:35 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
The program must associate all the episode files (it can be automatic if the files are correctly named). That way, you can see that you have 50 episodes of the series, and you can launch whatever episode you want by clicking the "play" icon.

Another advantage, it's that the file name can give you the episode name (for instance "Friends S01E03 The One with the Thumb.avi"), an information which is not in our database.

Do you think the database might in the future have information on each episode?

Is there any chance you could add a "Watched" button to a future update? That way we can quickly scan through or filter the movies we've already seen...
Currently I have my movies in different folders by year and in each year there is a "_Watched" folder which isn't ideal, so would be great if we can just mark movies we've seen in Coollector :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:32 am 

d7e7r7 wrote:

I won't include that kind of information into the database, because the file would become too big, but it's possible that in the future I make this information available as small text files that you'd download on request, the same way the pictures are currently downloaded on request and saved to disk for the next time.

d7e7r7 wrote:
Is there any chance you could add a "Watched" button to a future update?

If you've watched a movie, then rate it.

http://www.coollector.com/help.html#guidelines

A movie you haven't rated is supposed to be a movie you haven't seen. Look at the "rating" filter: you can list the movies you have rated, or you can list the movies you haven't rated (not yet seen).

d7e7r7 wrote:
Currently I have my movies in different folders by year and in each year there is a "_Watched" folder which isn't ideal

If you combine the "rating" filter with the "status" filter, you can list the movies that you own but haven't watched yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:07 am 

(cool) Hector wrote:
d7e7r7 wrote:

I won't include that kind of information into the database, because the file would become too big, but it's possible that in the future I make this information available as small text files that you'd download on request, the same way the pictures are currently downloaded on request and saved to disk for the next time.

d7e7r7 wrote:
Is there any chance you could add a "Watched" button to a future update?

If you've watched a movie, then rate it.

A movie you haven't rated is supposed to be a movie you haven't seen. Look at the "rating" filter: you can list the movies you have rated, or you can list the movies you haven't rated (not yet seen).

d7e7r7 wrote:
Currently I have my movies in different folders by year and in each year there is a "_Watched" folder which isn't ideal

If you combine the "rating" filter with the "status" filter, you can list the movies that you own but haven't watched yet.

Thanks for the reply, I know/knew about the rating system but I'm so indecisive I'd rather not stress about what rating to give each move I watch but rather just mark it watched... But I supposed I can just rate all the movies a certain rating, just to show I've seen it... think a "Watched" rating will be better in this IMHO but it's your app so you decide, I'm just giving suggestions :)

Where are the pictures stored? Some of the pictures don't load correctly, must I just go to each movie that didn't load fully and press F5 to reload the image?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:51 am 

d7e7r7 wrote:
I know/knew about the rating system but I'm so indecisive I'd rather not stress about what rating to give each move I watch but rather just mark it watched...

If you follow the rating guidelines, it's very easy to determine the right rating:

In the future, ratings will become a central feature of the program. We'll predict how much you'll like a movie based on your other ratings.

d7e7r7 wrote:
Where are the pictures stored?

That depends on your version of Windows.

d7e7r7 wrote:
Some of the pictures don't load correctly, must I just go to each movie that didn't load fully and press F5 to reload the image?

Exactly. F5 will download the picture again.