It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Filename Revisit
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:43 am 

Some time ago I had an idea to help with those tricky filenames (especially for users who download rips online instead of spending the time ripping from their own dvd collection).

eg. Green Lantern Emerald Knights 2011 720P BRRip [A Release-Lounge H264]

It would also be helpful in cases where sequels are organized numerically in a folder, and causes scanning errors in Coolector.
Attachment:
numbered.PNG
numbered.PNG [ 26.38 KiB | Viewed 7104 times ]

Usually I would simply truncate my filenames however d7e7r7 has made a very strong argument against that. As a matter of fact I am now faced with several situations in which I realize just how right he is. :(

http://www.coollector.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=688&p=5380#p5380

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if/what I posted (I'm notorious when It comes to Déjà vu) but now that I know a bit more about wxWidgets my suggestion should be a bit clearer and more practical. For every filename that is scanned Coollector's scanning algorithm does quite a lot of processing. My suggestion would involve

adding "AfterFirst" to only read characters after the first occurrence of '»'
and "BeforeLast" to only read characters before the last ocurrence of '«'
(if they exist)

This would need only be done once per file and could be done very quickly during scanning due to the relative simplicity of the idea. :V:

Code:
IgnoreReadIgnore.avi
Ignore»Read«Ignore.avi

1-Curse Of The Black Pearl.avi
1»Curse Of The Black Pearl.avi

Green Lantern Emerald Knights 2011 720P BRRip [A Release-Lounge H264].mp4
Green Lantern Emerald Knights 2011 «720P BRRip [A Release-Lounge H264].mp4

Please seriously consider this. It won't mean much of a code addition, won't slow the scanning algorithm, won't add to the interface, and should be really helpful to those user's who choose to use it.

Post subject: Re: Filename Revisit
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:38 am 

I won't ask users to add '»' to their file names.

But after having renamed several saga titles

http://www.coollector.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=743

I realized that those movies won't be scanned correctly anymore.

The scanning algorithm has to be made more intelligent. That's what I'll do as soon as I'll find time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:49 am 

there would be no need to add '»' to file names unless you want to.

edit: It leaves space for modifying the file names if the user needs it without making it compulsory.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:13 pm 

kakashi wrote:
It leaves space for modifying the file names if the user needs it without making it compulsory.

I don't like the features that only a very small fraction of the users are aware of.

As I said, there's still room to make the scanning algorithm more intelligent, and all this won't be necessary at all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:25 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
I don't like the features that only a very small fraction of the users are aware of.

I didn't know that.

I however am not saying to make it unknown\hidden. Users could be made aware. Its just that the program will work normally if they choose not to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:45 pm 

kakashi wrote:
(cool) Hector wrote:

I didn't know that.

Is it a surprise for you that I prefer working on features that benefit to a large number of users ?

;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:58 pm 

* On another matter I'm planning to download all small images (movies, persons, and videos) plus large images for the more popular movies. I could try to upload the updated rars when I get the time (I you have use for them)

The problem I'm having is that coollector won't accept input from my keyboard entry application (It works fine with everything else). I'm currently limited to mouse click events only. Any Ideas what's up?

The program is simple run it. Press enter to begin looping "RIGHT" key. Space to pause/resume. Escape to end.

Attachments:
Kbd event loop.zip [5.15 KiB]
Downloaded 240 times

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:08 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Is it a surprise for you that I prefer working on features that benefit to a large number of users ?
;)

Of course not.

I however thought that a balance could be struck between usability of the feature and time spent developing it. In this case there's no telling how many future users will benefit, and there's minimal time consumption. I for one have truncated the names of hundreds of files. All of that is info lost that future users would need not erase. Why force deletion when you can simply ignore the irrelevant data?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:15 pm 

Since you don't use playable files much in your collection It might take a bit more effort to understand but many original file names will contain data about the quality of the file, source disc, audio, encoding etc. coollector forces users to delete all this info.

eg. Eagle Eye 2008 Bluray 720p H264 AAC 6ch

This info shows when you press the play icon if you add files manually, but for those who use scanning that data often has to be truncated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:25 pm 

kakashi wrote:
coollector forces users to delete all this info.

That's not true. You don't have to remove this part from the file name. Coollector will simply use the longest string that it can match, starting from the beginning of the file name.

In the case of "Eagle Eye 2008 Bluray 720p H264 AAC 6ch", it'll use "Eagle Eye", and maybe "2008" if the year can help to differentiate from another movie.

When I said I would make the scanning algorithm more intelligent, I meant to make it work even for the saga titles I talked about.

Now, I'm sorry, but I have to stop this conversation. I have to focus on the Mac release. It's very important.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:33 pm 

ok later :hi:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:35 pm 

kakashi wrote:
Usually I would simply truncate my filenames however d7e7r7 has made a very strong argument against that. As a matter of fact I am now faced with several situations in which I realize just how right he is. :(

http://www.coollector.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=688&p=5380#p5380

If you look at the examples that d7e7r7 gave, you'll see that the only problem was that the movie titles were in the folder names instead of the file names, and his file names were just weird names that Coollector couldn't do anything with.

That's a completely different problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:38 pm 

I was referring to release versions eg. DVDSCRip.XviD-Gothicmaster but thats ok. I didn't bear in mind that you were still busy with the mac version.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:48 pm 

kakashi wrote:
I was referring to release versions eg. DVDSCRip.XviD-Gothicmaster but thats ok.

Coollector don't pay attention to them. You can leave them if you want. So what's the problem ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:03 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Coollector don't pay attention to them. You can leave them if you want.

You're right, I started truncating filenames along time ago after finding that coollector was confused my many of my file names. I tried again a few minutes ago with a interrnet file name instead o my own and found that it now works much better. The only one it missed was:
Whatever.She.Wants.2010.DVDRip.XviD-ViSiON(http://www.USABIT.com).avi