It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: wonderful... except:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:46 pm 

Hi there,
first of all, thank you for this nice piece of Software! ;)

I tried Coollector for some time now. And few questions / bugs come up.
The most important one:
- Is the "own" collection rescanned for changes? (added videos, deleted videos, renamed...)
I've endet up with a corrupt db after removing some videos from disk that were in my collection.

- is there a possibility to use the folder name instead of filenames for lookups/matching ?
ALOT of Stuff isn't recognized right out of the Box, some things are even matched wrong, even though the Folder Name of the Movie clearly shows the Title.

I've got something in mind like:
Scan complete-> Opens new Window where:
- it shows the found movie files and the matched title/movie for the added source.
- a user can correct mismatches BEFORE things get added to the database.
If no matches are found:
- a possibility to match them manual(still on the same screen).
- a possibility to match them by folder name

I know there was something else, but right now i can't remember. :)
I would be very happy about an answer.
Kind regards
query

Post subject: Re: wonderful... except:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:19 pm 

query wrote:
thank you for this nice piece of Software! ;)

Thank you very much !

query wrote:
Is the "own" collection rescanned for changes? (added videos, deleted videos, renamed...)

0) you must have in mind that your HDD can be assigned a different letter when you plug it to your computer.

1) the program doesn't add or remove anything on its own.

2) when scanning a folder, the program doesn't add the files already in your coollection. To recognize if a file is already in your coollection, the program makes abstraction of the drive letter, because that letter could just have changed.

3) when displaying the path of a video file, the program adjusts the drive letter if it has changed.

4) if you move your video files to a new location and it's more than a drive letter change, you can use CONTROL + L to replace a string by another one in all your file locations.

5) if you remove some video files, you have to delete them manually one by one. I'm sorry, but because of 0), I still haven't found a satisfactory solution to remove files automatically. Maybe your HDD is just disconnected. The only improvement I could add easily is to propose to remove all the video episodes in the case where you remove a series.

query wrote:
I've ended up with a corrupt db after removing some videos from disk that were in my collection.

I'm very sorry about that. Was it with the latest version 3.18 ? Have you been able to restore the last automatic backup ?

query wrote:
is there a possibility to use the folder name instead of filenames for lookups/matching ?

No. You have to name your file properly.

query wrote:
ALOT of Stuff isn't recognized right out of the Box, some things are even matched wrong, even though the Folder Name of the Movie clearly shows the Title.

The scanning algorithm uses the file name. Only in the case of VIDEO_TS does the program take into account the folder name. I can't think of a good way to recognize if a folder is just a folder or if it's the movie title.

query wrote:
I've got something in mind like:
Scan complete-> Opens new Window where:
- it shows the found movie files and the matched title/movie for the added source.

I indeed have plans to do something very close to that. Some time ago, Kakashi has suggested that it'd be more natural to get rid of the scan preview, and that's very true. After the file scanning, the program should display a window with 3 tabs: "recognized", "not recognized" and "already in the coollection". There would be a "minus" button in front of each recognized movie, to not add it in case the association is wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:35 pm 

query wrote:
If no matches are found:
- a possibility to match them manual(still on the same screen).

I can't think of a way to do that on the same screen. How will you select the right movie without using the string search ? My plan is to create a text file that would list all the files that could not be associated, and following that file, either you'd fix the typos in the file name and repeat the scan, either you'd associate the file manually by going to the movie with a string search and clicking the "play" icon.

query wrote:
- a possibility to match them by folder name

When the file name is incorrect, I think you should correct it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:59 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
When the file name is incorrect, I think you should correct it.

True, I've just reinstalled windows after a 1 week break. A lot has changed in my file system but because my files were properly named in the past its a simple case of scan n go.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:59 pm 

kakashi wrote:
I've just reinstalled windows after a 1 week break.

What happened ? A disk crash ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm 

Disk crash isn't really a problem. I have multiple OS optical disks and don't keep any files on the same drive as my OS. All my user data is stored on a secondary HDD.

It was just a routine format that went awry. I was having crashes due to some unstable apps and modified system files. For some reason I had problem with all of about 7 boot disks (including windows 8 ). I got fed up and switched to LINUX and then was too lazy to reinstall windows. Linux didn't have Coollector and my sound was out since yesterday so I decided to take my head out of the novel I was reading and switch back win 7 this morning.