It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to specify database name and location?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:28 am 

Frod wrote:
The way it is designed now is that I can not simply run the application and have it open the correct database.

You also have the option of sending a shortcut of the file to your desktop...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:34 am 

kakashi wrote:
You also have the option of sending a shortcut of the file to your desktop...

That's exactly the answer I was about to give. The same way you're using a shortcut to launch Coollector, you just use a shortcut to launch the coollection file (or several shortcuts if some of your friends have sent you their coollection files). And the shortcuts don't have to stay on the desktop, you can move them to Windows "start" menu, or somewhere else.

Frod wrote:
I believe an option to specify a persistent file name and path would benefit a large number of users.

I disagree. It's an option that most users would never use, and some might even get confused by it. The users who want to change the path are computer savvy like you, and know how to create a shortcut.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:33 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
In my opinion, it's not a good idea to try to transform Coollector into a media center. We don't serve the same purpose. I'd much rather create a feature that would allow you to synchronize your coollection with your favorite media center.

I've just had a closer look at media centers like XBMC, and unfortunately I didn't see any way to synchronize a coollection that would be easy enough for the user.

But the media centers have some layouts that look really gorgeous, and there's little doubt that our users would enjoy to view their coollection like this:

Attachment:
XBMC.jpg
XBMC.jpg [ 171.75 KiB | Viewed 3216 times ]

That's why I've changed my mind, and added to my future plans the creation of a full-screen view, with less information, but with much more eye-candies, like backdrops, etc... That new view would replace the Cooliris view. You would easily switch back and forth from Coollector's information-loaded main interface, to this simplified but visually more attractive interface.

Note that this doesn't cancel my plans of creating a skin system for the main interface.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:15 pm 

Yipeeee!!! :D

(cool) Hector wrote:
added to my future plans the creation of a full-screen view, with less information, but with much more eye-candies,

If that's a success then I wont really need XBMC anymore as I don't use most of it's features anyway. I find it much easier to manage my collection with Coollector, but that has always meant that it was inconvenient to switch over to XBMC just to click play after using Coollector's advanced search features to find myself a movie to watch.

That's pretty Cooll

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:37 am 

kakashi wrote:
If that's a success then I wont really need XBMC anymore as I don't use most of it's features anyway. I find it much easier to manage my collection with Coollector

I have the same experience. Apart from the gorgeous skins that look amazing, I don't have much use for it. Also, the interface is a bit of a labyrinth, and it freezes regularly, forcing me to reboot my computer.