It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: How to specify database name and location?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:22 pm 

Hi:

How would I specify the database name and location? There are no settings options to do so.

I renamed the default database to a different name and moved it to a different drive, then double clicked on it to open it. In Collector, I went to Help -> Locate my collection file and it showed the path to the now nonexistent default database, not the database file that was in use.

This appears to be a pretty decent application; I just downloaded it and will test it.

I might suggest the ability to change the background theme color from the distracting blue to a more neutral color.

Fred

Post subject: Re: How to specify database name and location?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:34 pm 

Frod wrote:
How would I specify the database name and location? There are no settings options to do so.

I renamed the default database to a different name and moved it to a different drive, then double clicked on it to open it.

What you did is perfect, that's exactly how you must do it. When you launch the program, the default coollection file is read. But if you double-click a coollection file, it's that coollection which is read.

Frod wrote:
In Collector, I went to Help -> Locate my collection file and it showed the path to the now nonexistent default database, not the database file that was in use.

It's a bug with the menu "Help -> Locate my collection file" which always displays the default location. Thanks for reporting this problem, I will fix it.

Frod wrote:
This appears to be a pretty decent application

Thank you very much !

Frod wrote:
I might suggest the ability to change the background theme color from the distracting blue to a more neutral color.

Absolutely. It's in my "top 3" to created a skin system to allow each user to make the program look the way he likes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:29 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Absolutely. It's in my "top 3" to created a skin system to allow each user to make the program look the way he likes.

I'm curious, just how flexible do you plan on making the skin system. Personally I'm hoping for something a bit like VLC's skin system that will allow me to go all out with the designing including fonts, layout, transparency and the works.

... That might be a bit greedy though ... :sorry:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:51 pm 

kakashi wrote:
just how flexible do you plan on making the skin system.

Font type, font size, colors and backgrounds.

Please give me more details about the things that you'd like to be able to do.

kakashi wrote:
transparency

Where would you add transparency ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:55 pm 

kakashi wrote:
layout

If one day I allow to modify the layout, it'll be independant from the skin system.

How would you modify the layout ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:54 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Where would you add transparency ?

I didn't really have a set idea as yet but transparency would be a good added bonus because it allows much more flexibility in design especially where images overlap etc.
eg. http://xbmc.org/wp-content/gallery/transparency/1_home-horizontal-menu.jpg

In skins that have images as buttons (or buttons other than windows default buttons) transparency can be used to add glow effects (above) or show that something is selected. Transparency also means that buttons and Images don't need to be rectangular they can be like your ordered or wished buttons or have curved edges. It would be nice to be able to use buttons like that throughout the interface. :) Users wouldn't necessarily notice that transparency is being used.

(cool) Hector wrote:
How would you modify the layout ?

Personally I'd add much more graphics :D. Would probably have to move stuff around for that to work since most people wouldn't want to waste so much real estate on GUI. That Should be possible by storing position info like you do grid info.

Stuff like those aren't really %100 necessary but they'd make it possible to create much better skins.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:18 pm 

kakashi wrote:

In my opinion, it's not a good idea to try to transform Coollector into a media center. We don't serve the same purpose. I'd much rather create a feature that would allow you to synchronize your coollection with your favorite media center.

kakashi wrote:
Personally I'd add much more graphics :D

Me too I've searched inspiration by looking at the media centers. Fanarts and background backdrops are pretty sexy, sure. But if we used them inside Coollector, I don't think the result would be good. You can make some sketches, I doubt you'll come up with something usable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:42 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
In my opinion, it's not a good idea to try to transform Coollector into a media center. We don't serve the same purpose. I'd much rather create a feature that would allow you to synchronize your coollection with your favorite media center.

I was just using that image as a reference to how useful transparency can be in interfacing. I don't use MediaCenters. Coollector and VLC is enough for me.

(cool) Hector wrote:
Me too I've searched inspiration by looking at the media centers. Fanarts and background backdrops are pretty sexy, sure. But if we used them inside Coollector, I don't think the result would be good. You can make some sketches, I doubt you'll come up with something usable.

Yes, you usually find some nice graphics in those types of programs. I'd probably want to use something closer to a sketch I once showed you(below) as my personal skin though since I have a lot of screen space. I'm guessing that your default would need to be a lot more conservative than that (Which is why I suggested adjustable layout).
http://www.coollector.com/download/file.php?id=27

Of course Coollector has changed a lot since then... Might not be possible/practical

Last edited by kakashi on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:05 pm 

kakashi wrote:
I'd probably want to use something closer to a sketch I once showed you(below) as my personal skin though since I have a lot of screen space.

Frankly, and I hope you won't get offended, I'm not convinced by your sketch. But if someone came up with a sketch really inspiring, I could consider it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:10 pm 

kakashi wrote:
I'm not convinced by your sketch.

Didn't expect you to be. I definitely am not the typical user, that's why I'm hoping that I'll be able to eventually build the layout that suits me best.
As long as coollector has the capabilities I can build what I need though its likely no-one will want to use my skin. I'd probably have to also build a more normal skin to save face. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:18 pm 

kakashi wrote:
I definitely am not the typical user, that's why I'm hoping that I'll be able to eventually build the layout that suits me best.

For the moment, I have no plan to personalize the layout.

I just can't figure out anything worth it, but I'm open to ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:41 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:

Not sure I get what you mean. Please Explain...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:49 pm 

kakashi wrote:
(cool) Hector wrote:

Well, in my opinion, customizing the layout would be a totally useless feature. Unless someone makes me realize that some good things could be done, I fail to conceive anything good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:42 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
kakashi wrote:
(cool) Hector wrote:

Well, in my opinion, customizing the layout would be a totally useless feature. Unless someone makes me realize that some good things could be done, I fail to conceive anything good.

point taken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:20 am 

Frod wrote:
> How would I specify the database name and location? There are no settings options to do so.

> I renamed the default database to a different name and moved it to a different drive, then double clicked on it to open it.

Cool [Hector] wrote:
> What you did is perfect, that's exactly how you must do it. When you launch the program, the default coollection file is read. But if you double-click a coollection file, it's that coollection which is read.

Hi:

Ok, but I would like to assign a permanent database file name and path to the database. The way it is designed now is that I can not simply run the application and have it open the correct database. Instead, I have to open Directory Opus (my replacement for Windows Explorer), find the file, then double click on it.

I believe an option to specify a persistent file name and path would benefit a large number of users.

Thanks for considering this enhancement request.

Fred