It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Transferring Files
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:18 am 

I just got a new computer. How do I transfer the program and info from one computer to another. Thanks! Great program!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:29 pm 

All your data is inside the coollection file \Coollector\Coollections\MyCoollection.cool

Please have a look at the tutorial about coollection files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:13 pm 

I need to transfer my data from my destop to my wife's laptop. Do I put the "MyCoollection.cool" file on a CD and copy it to her laptop? I'm a bit confused as to the proper procedure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:34 pm 

Hi Raised Grain !

Raised Grain wrote:
Do I put the "MyCoollection.cool" file on a CD and copy it to her laptop?

Yes :)

If you have installed Coollector on your wife's laptop, there should be a "MyCoollection.cool" file in her "My Documents\Coollector" folder. You just replace it with your own.

Note: if you want to have several coollections on the same computer, you can place them wherever you want, but you'll have to click them directly to use them. Because when you launch the Coollector program, it'll always read "My Documents\Coollector\MyCoollection.cool" by default.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:54 pm 

(cool) Hector wrote:
Hi Raised Grain !

Raised Grain wrote:
Do I put the "MyCoollection.cool" file on a CD and copy it to her laptop?

Yes :)

If you have installed Coollector on your wife's laptop, there should be a "MyCoollection.cool" file in her "My Documents\Coollector" folder. You just replace it with your own. Do I delete her folder before replacing it with the new one?
Note: if you want to have several coollections on the same computer, you can place them wherever you want, but you'll have to click them directly to use them. Because when you launch the Coollector program, it'll always read "My Documents\Coollector\MyCoollection.cool" by default.
I tried to click on the file and have it open and I got a dialog box that told me it can't recognize the file extension.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:11 pm 

Raised Grain wrote:
Do I delete her folder before replacing it with the new one?

It's not necessary. The only thing you have to do is be sure that Coollector is not running.

Raised Grain wrote:
I tried to click on the file and have it open and I got a dialog box that told me it can't recognize the file extension.

That's strange. When you install Coollector, it gets associated with the ".cool" files. Maybe you need to reinstall Coollector (no need to uninstall before).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:22 pm 

Hmmm. If I reinstall Coolector will I lose all of my data I have input? Sorry to be such a pain but I really would hate to lose all I have done with a reinstallation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:39 pm 

You won't lose your data. Since version 2.05, even uninstalling doesn't erase your personal data. If you uninstall, the only loss would be the pictures that have been cached on your hard drive.

If you install Coollector again, the association with the ".cool" will probably be fixed.

P.S: what Windows do you use ? Because I remember that I did not test the ".cool" association with Windows Vista, and maybe there's a bug, I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:43 pm 

I just thought about it: you don't need to reinstall to fix the association.

When you get the dialog box that tells you it can't recognize the file extension, you can choose which program to use to read that file. Choose Coollector and make this association permanent (there's a checkbox for that).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:50 pm 

I tried that when I first got that dialog box and Coolector was not on the list. I just looked now and it's not there. I Have WIndows XP on both computers. I will save the Coolector file and reinstall coolector and hope that all will be well afterwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:55 pm 

Yes, it's not on the list, but there's a "browse... " button.

You'll find it wherever you installed it (by default in your "Program Files" folder).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:57 pm 

I remind you that you really need this file association only if you want to have several .cool files on the same computer. Right ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:03 pm 

OK. If that's the case then I'll leave well enough alone. We'll only have the one file. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:07 pm 

Raised Grain wrote:
OK. If that's the case then I'll leave well enough alone. We'll only have the one file.

Yes, the file association allows to open a .cool file by clicking it. If you launch the Coollector program, it will open the .cool file from the default location, creating it if it doesn't already exist.

Raised Grain wrote:
Thanks again.

I'm happy to help.